Concert for George

cwsox

anyone see this on PBS on Wednesday night

it was awesome for me - I asked they turn it on and the whole bar, workers and patrons, fell silent and watched entranced for the whole two hours - singing along - no one left - every sang along

all things must pass but I sure do miss George and I miss the magic

Do you have the CD, cw? It's a great double-CD, with Indian/sitar-oriented stuff on disc one and the rock and roll portion of the concert on disc 2. Leff Lynne, Eric Clapton. Paul. Billy Preston, Tom Petty, Joe Brown and Gary Brooker all appear.

The CD has been getting a lot of airplay at work since I picked it up a copuple months ago.

Another great album is the George Tribute "Songs from the Material World" that came out last year. Definitely worth checking out.

Do you have the CD, cw? It's a great double-CD, with Indian/sitar-oriented stuff on disc one and the rock and roll portion of the concert on disc 2.  Leff Lynne, Eric Clapton. Paul. Billy Preston, Tom Petty, Joe Brown and Gary Brooker all appear.

The CD has been getting a lot of airplay at work since I picked it up a copuple months ago.

Another great album is the George Tribute "Songs from the Material World" that came out last year.  Definitely worth checking out.

I got the cd and the dvd on the way home last night (both were in stock at the 24 hour superstore)

of course I watched/listened to neither when I got home at midnoight - just played All Things Must Pass about 18 times from the Anthology cd while I was buying ATMP and Best of GH from Amazon

watching the PBS show I was stunned by how much Dhani looks and moves exactly like his father did all those years ago (and I count on you to get the musical reference there...)

the one shot in the dvd of Paul, Ringo and Dhani in the same shot was heartbreaking to me

I am unaware of the tribute album of which you speak - tell me about it

have you seen Monterey Pop? Watching the PBS show was a huge head trip and memory rush anyway but Monterey Pop the movie ended with a 20 minute plus segment of Ravi Shankar and the original 67 concert audience and every movie audience I was ever in to see MPop (4? 5? 6? times) ended with the audience on its feet cheering

this was the question at the bar last night and I haven't looked it up, but you would know - who were the Traveling Wilburys? My answer is George, Dylan, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty.

But where does Jeff Lynn come in?

And who was the last guy at the tribute who sang whatever it was he sang? He was the only person I did not recognise at all.

and who originally did Wah Wah? I think I know but I am not sure.

I got the 2CD set for the Mrs. for Christmas and was underwhelmed.

Maybe it comes off better on DVD, but the performances were rather bland, IMO.

I think I'd have preferred studio renditions of the songs instead.

without you having seen the dvd I bet they do across the way you felt them

I will never be able to listen without the visual in my mind

it wasn't so much hearing Paul play Something on the uke that is moving, itr was seeing it knowing the long history there - I think this was perhaps far more visual and cognitive content related than it is musical - the entire time watching it was "look there is...." and that was the memory rush that gave content to what was heard

I appreciate your insight - withoiut the visual I am sure you are right - and I too would like to have a cd of every song by George played in the order they played them -

Don't laugh, but since I'm going to Las Vegas next week, I have done some research on "betting lines" and all that crap.

There is actually a "line" you can bet on which Beatle will die next - Paul or Ringo.  Sick. 

:nono

I'd go with Ringo, what's the line? :ph34r:

While we are on the sick subject, I use to participate in a death pool. Scoring was simple 100 less the persons age. Pick any 25 celebrities. We had a couple definitions on celebrity and you couldn't be famous because you were going to die, (death row inmates, etc.)

I'd go with Ringo, what's the line?  :ph34r:

While we are on the sick subject, I use to participate in a death pool. Scoring was simple 100 less the persons age. Pick any 25 celebrities. We had a couple definitions on celebrity and you couldn't be famous because you were going to die, (death row inmates, etc.)

I done those before, I'm not very good though.

I got the cd and the dvd on the way home last night (both were in stock at the 24 hour superstore)

of course I watched/listened to neither when I got home at midnoight - just played All Things Must Pass about 18 times from the Anthology cd while I was buying ATMP and Best of GH from Amazon

watching the PBS show I was stunned by how much Dhani looks and moves exactly like his father did all those years ago (and I count on you to get the musical reference there...)

the one shot in the dvd of Paul, Ringo and Dhani in the same shot was heartbreaking to me

I am unaware of the tribute album of which you speak - tell me about it

have you seen Monterey Pop?  Watching the PBS show was a huge head trip and memory rush anyway but Monterey Pop the movie ended with a 20 minute plus segment of Ravi Shankar and the original 67 concert audience and every movie audience I was ever in to see MPop (4? 5? 6? times) ended with the audience on its feet cheering

this was the question at the bar last night and I haven't looked it up, but you would know - who were the Traveling Wilburys?  My answer is George, Dylan, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty.

But where does Jeff Lynn come in?

And who was the last guy at the tribute who sang whatever it was he sang?  He was the only person I did not recognise at all.

and who originally did Wah Wah?  I think I know but I am not sure.

Dhani does look and act a lot like his dad. I bet you choked back a tear when he told the audience he was sure his dad was there with them right then.

I did not see the special, and I have yet to pick up the DVD - but it's my anniversary weekend so I am hopeful my wife got the hints. I don't know the performer you are referring to, but assume it is either Joe Brown or gary Brooker?

I appreciate the 'underwhelmed' feeling the Critic describes, and I got that feeling for some of George's own studio releases (quick, name ONE song from Gone Tropo... I can't). I did not get that feeling at all on the second disk of the George concert, and it grows on me each time I listen to it. When I heard the first parts of Paul's uke version of "Something" I thought I was going to go into a rage (I thought he was making a George showcase piece very campy...). But then when the rest of the band kicked in and gave the song the tratment it deserves I did an aboyt face, and now I love that track - uke and all.

The George tribute came out in 2003 (on Koch Records nonetheless). I like it because there are some tracks you might not expect (Devil's Radio, Savoy Truffle, It's All Too Much, Isn't it a Pity?). And it's an ecclectic mix of artists - from Rundgren to Masters of Reality to the late John Entwistle, Smithereens, They Might Be Giants (one of my faves), Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings... It's worth a listen.

I'm sure you own George's last release, the posthumous and wonderful 'Brainwashed.' A really strong album, and haunting in much the same way Zevon's 'The Wind' is now.

I have seen Monterrey Pop - great stuff. For years all I had on vinyl from that concert was Jimi's set and Otis Redding on the flipside. I never saw the entire concert video until around 5 years ago.

Wilburrys: Jeff Lynne is the only one you missed - he produced and performed on both albums, and also produced George's 'Cloud 9.' I have always hated his heavy-handed production and I think Cloud 9 would be aging much more gracefully if it didn't have that Jeff Lynne sound.

Wah Wah (my current favorite cut from the Concert for George) is a George song from side 1 of All Things Must Pass - between My Sweet (He's So Fine) Lord and Isn't it A Pitty version 1. The only songs from ATMP that aren't 100% George credits (besides for the largely improvised Apple Jam stuff on sides 5 and 6 - all players credited) are If Not For You (Dylan) and I'd Have You Anytime (Dylan/Harrison).

I have seen Monterrey Pop - great stuff.  For years all I had on vinyl from that concert was Jimi's set and Otis Redding on the flipside.  I never saw the entire concert video until around 5 years ago.

this is too much

we both own Wonderwall and we both own the only two copies ever sold of the Jimi on the one side Otis on the side Monterrey lp?

I am you and you are me...

wow

no one has been able to buy those in like 30 years

wow

FlaSoxxJim, I NNEEEEDDDD the album Hey Jude and can't find it for sale anywhere - can you - if you trust me buy it and I will pay you for it - I can't locate a copy for sale

Are you looking for vinyl (I assume) or CD? If vinyl, is an Apple label important or will the Capital rerelease work? That's actually one of the US releases that I still only have in as purple Capital label rerelease from the late 70s to early 80s. I think there was also a black/rainbow original release of that but I'm not sure.

I have a really good used vinyl shop here, so I can probably find a copy of whatever you're looking for.

I think I fiound it on cd - I have vinyl but can't play it - why of all the albums is that the hard one to find on cd?

It's because the originally authorized and still most universally available Beatles catalog on VD follows the British Parlaphone releases and not the US VeeJay/Capital releases. The 13 Parlaphone LP releases were:

Please Please Me

With the Beatles

Hard Day's Night

For Sale

Help!

Rubber Soul

Revolver

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Magical Mystery Tour

The Beatles

Yellow Submarine

Abbey Road

Let It Be

So no Introducing the Beatles, Beatles vs. Four Seasons (VeeJay), Meet the Beatles, Something New, '65, IV, The Beatles Story, Yesterday... And Today, or Hey Jude (The Beatles Again) in that catalog.

It's really neat to talk turkey with older US fans that experienced Beatlemania first-hand, because usually those US releases, track sequences, etc., are so imprinted as the way you experienced it. By contrast, I came along when both complete catalogs were out there and I had to wade through the different track sequences and title releases to figure out how things differed on both sides of the Pond. I much prefer the Parlaphone catalog but I regret not having a catalog to truly call my own as far as experiencing the excitement and anticipation of each new release as it happened.

Then again, I'm that many more years away from needing that walker, so I'm not complaining... :D