Astros close to trading for Urbina

No Source here, A friend of mine in Houston calling to talk about Beltran, said the Astros are about to land Urbina. He said sports radio down there is saying it should happen today.

I would really like to have Urbina on the Sox, but oh well.

If this happens, the Astros are gonna be a true player in the NL Central again.

Add Beltran

Add Urbina

Add Pettitte (back from injury soon?)

*Thats some nice additions to a team trying to make a run.

:headshake How can you not be pleased with what KW has done and been trying to do this season?

Uh oh, I have to agree with I4E! ;)

He hasn't done jack. Not to say that he won't but judging this year so far, as it exists TODAY, he's not doing too well.

Trying doesn't do crap to a team, only results do.

Hopefully that changes in the next week or so.

I agree. KW hasn’t done s***. Until I see him doing something to help this desperate team out, than I’ll stop talking about him. Him dumping Koch was a positive thing, but it’s something that should have been done a long time ago.

What has he done? What is he trying to do?

I guess I am the only patient one. I will give him the time he needs. The only thing that really worries me is that when the Twins were all hurt, we didn't gain much ground at all. Now that most of them are back, we are now 3 games out and that will be tough to make up, especially if Rauch and Diaz are in our rotation. :unsure:

I guess I am the only patient one. I will give him the time he needs. The only thing that really worries me is that when the Twins were all hurt, we didn't gain much ground at all. Now that most of them are back, we are now 3 games out and that will be tough to make up, especially if Rauch and Diaz are in our rotation. :unsure:

I'm with you man.

KW proved last year he is willing to get up "balls" and trade. He made 2 very good trades last year that improved our team, it didn't work out....oh well.

I'm very happy with KW he's a very aggressive, hardworking GM.

Unlike what most of you think, it's pretty damn hard to pull off a trade.

I'm confident KW will pull of a couple good trades before july 31.

God, some of you guys suck.

I'm with you man.

KW proved last year he is willing to get up "balls" and trade.  He made 2 very good trades last year that improved our team, it didn't work out....oh well.

:headbang

Really? All those trades and free agent signings that were made in the winter has really helped us. You know, the ones that we were all b****ing about in the winter? Yea, THOSE trades.

Look, I'm not saying that he won't come through. He still may. But as of now, TODAY, he has not done a damn thing to improve this team from the holes that we all knew from last September that needed corrected.

So woooooohoooooo, he got rid of Botch. So what? We got rid of a headache and has done NOTHING to get anywhere with what we need.

Having said that, I know he had to move that contract to accomplish other things. But folks, July 31, you got two months left of the season. At this run rate, this team will be 6-8 games back by then. You want him to wait that long?

Really?  All those trades and free agent signings that were made in the winter has really helped us.  You know, the ones that we were all b****ing about in the winter?  Yea, THOSE trades.

Look, I'm not saying that he won't come through.  He still may.  But as of now, TODAY, he has not done a damn thing to improve this team from the holes that we all knew from last September that needed corrected.

So woooooohoooooo, he got rid of Botch.  So what?  We got rid of a headache and has done NOTHING to get anywhere with what we need.

Having said that, I know he had to move that contract to accomplish other things.  But folks, July 31, you got two months left of the season.  At this run rate, this team will be 6-8 games back by then.  You want him to wait that long?

I will agree with you that KW didn't pull off maybe everything that was needed this offseason, but I still don't think you guys should jump all over him. He's been a very solid GM and doing a much better job than most.

And most trades don't go down till right before the deadline because as it stands now, only a handful of teams feel they're out of it.

We're going to have to be patient, we'll be alright.

I'm with you man.

KW proved last year he is willing to get up "balls" and trade.  He made 2 very good trades last year that improved our team, it didn't work out....oh well.

Exactly. KW hasn't made any big moves yet, because teams aren't willing to at this point. KW has made a name for himself, and people like Gammons etc. were quoted on saying KW is one of the best GM's.

Do you people seriously think if KW could make a move right now, he wouldn't do it? Please.

That's exactly why Garcia hasn't been moved anywhere yet. The Mariners had a little winning streak, and they got with 8 games of first, so the team started thinking the season wasn't a waste. However, they've fallen back again, and the talks for Garcia are starting up again.

Really?  All those trades and free agent signings that were made in the winter has really helped us.  You know, the ones that we were all b****ing about in the winter?  Yea, THOSE trades.

Look, I'm not saying that he won't come through.  He still may.  But as of now, TODAY, he has not done a damn thing to improve this team from the holes that we all knew from last September that needed corrected.

So woooooohoooooo, he got rid of Botch.  So what?  We got rid of a headache and has done NOTHING to get anywhere with what we need.

Having said that, I know he had to move that contract to accomplish other things.  But folks, July 31, you got two months left of the season.  At this run rate, this team will be 6-8 games back by then.  You want him to wait that long?

Kenny can only play the hand he's dealt, which is a limited payroll that was actually exceeding budget last offseason. Sure, one or two of his contracts that he handed out probably didn't help his own problem, but Kenny has done a good job on a limited budget.

If there was a deal out there that could improve this team at this moment, Kenny would do it, and if you think otherwise, you're just stupid...

Kenny can only play the hand he's dealt, which is a limited payroll that was actually exceeding budget last offseason.  Sure, one or two of his contracts that he handed out probably didn't help his own problem, but Kenny has done a good job on a limited budget.

If there was a deal out there that could improve this team at this moment, Kenny would do it, and if you think otherwise, you're just stupid...

People, learn how to read.

I'm only judging him on what he has DONE, not what he is going to do. TODAY, notice again, TODAY, he hasn't done anything to help this team, with issues we knew existed from LAST YEAR.

Is he going to try? Undoubtedly. But TRYING doesn't get you crap. You have to pull the lever once in a while. I think that is what this last offseason proves, and that's what I'm talking about, not that he isn't going to do anything. So, no, I'm not stupidly thinking he's not going to do anything... I'm only saying that the more time goes on, the more desparate we become, and that's not the situation we want to be in, is it?

I'm only judging him on what he has DONE, not what he is going to do.  TODAY, notice again, TODAY, he hasn't done anything to help this team, with issues we knew existed from LAST YEAR.

Is he going to try?  Undoubtedly.  But TRYING doesn't get you crap.  You have to pull the lever once in a while.  I think that is what this last offseason proves, and that's what I'm talking about, not that he isn't going to do anything.  So, no, I'm not stupidly thinking he's not going to do anything... I'm only saying that the more time goes on, the more desparate we become, and that's not the situation we want to be in, is it?

I understand what you're saying; however, sometimes it's just not possible to fix these problems immediately. For example, you know we need another starting pitcher. We've been seriously courting Freddy Garcia from Seattle. Seattle knows their season is shot, and that Garcia's a great player they can deal and get some good talent for. If you were Seattle, would you take the first offer you received for Garcia (being that it's the White Sox), or would you wait a while and see what other teams offer? I don't know about you, but I'd wait to see what else is offered. KW could have gotten Garcia right away, but he would have had to gave up a tremendous amount to do so.

I'm only judging him on what he has DONE, not what he is going to do.  TODAY, notice again, TODAY, he hasn't done anything to help this team, with issues we knew existed from LAST YEAR.

Is he going to try?  Undoubtedly.  But TRYING doesn't get you crap.  You have to pull the lever once in a while.  I think that is what this last offseason proves, and that's what I'm talking about, not that he isn't going to do anything.  So, no, I'm not stupidly thinking he's not going to do anything... I'm only saying that the more time goes on, the more desparate we become, and that's not the situation we want to be in, is it?

KW must have just forgot to go down to the "Players 'R Us" this winter..... :rolleyes:

It's not as easy as you think.....every team has holes, problems.

No Source here, A friend of mine in Houston calling to talk about Beltran, said the Astros are about to land Urbina.  He said sports radio down there is saying it should happen today.

I would really like to have Urbina on the Sox, but oh well.

If this happens, the Astros are gonna be a true player in the NL Central again.

Add Beltran

Add Urbina

Add Pettitte (back from injury soon?)

*Thats some nice additions to a team trying to make a run.

Ah, so there is a GM (read: owner) who ACTUALLY wants to win. Oh well.

The good news here is that Astros are "going for it" and should team up with the Cards to keep the Evil from the playoffs.

The BAD news however is that by failing to build a sizeable (7-8 game) lead over the Cubs when they were without Prior, Wood and Sosa and had Koch-Borowski as their closer, and especially after getting swept in a 4-game set at home, including Rusch completely out-pitching Oswalt...Astros sent a message to the Cubs loud and clear: WE ARE YOUR b****.

Unless Wood is out for the season and either Clement or Maddux has terrible 2nd half, a little too late for the Astros. Cards still have some hope, though.