music

hi8is

Killswitch Engage, Against All Authority, Ben Harper, David Byrne, Talking Heads, Cake, Bad Religion, Alkaline Trio, Secret Agent Bill (goddamn they are quickly becoming one of my favorite bands), Ween, Propagandhi, Weezer, Warsawpack, The Cure, Dropkick Murphys, some Pennywise, Prince Myshkins, System of a Down, Miles Davis, Frank Sinatra, Reggie and the Full Effect...that's just a short list.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

godspeed and sigur ros were two of the first bands mentioned. that is a pretty kick-ass list though cerbaho. i take it you'll be going to curiosa (mogwai and interpol opening)?

Yes, definitely. I have 7th row seats and will be promptly leaving after both Mogwai and Interpol are done. Just about every other band on the Curiosa ticket (The Cure, Muse, Cursive, anyone on the second stage really) is god awful and should be avoided like the plague. I hope I'm not surrounded by a bunch of goth losers who like The Cure.

Yes, definitely. I have 7th row seats and will be promptly leaving after both Mogwai and Interpol are done. Just about every other band on the Curiosa ticket (The Cure, Muse, Cursive, anyone on the second stage really) is god awful and should be avoided like the plague. I hope I'm not surrounded by a bunch of goth losers who like The Cure.

Just make sure you stop at hot topic before the show :P :lol:

God it's been a while since I've been here.

My favorites: Linkin park, Pillar, Thousand Foot Krutch, crossfade, breaking benjamin, 12 stones, AFI, finger eleven, Flaw, foo fighters, hipnostic, ill nino, lo pro, soil, tantric, and my band of the moment: thornley.

To me, it's this type of elitist bulls*** that pisses me off. Just because YOU don't like a certain band doesn't mean they're s***. I listen to all types of music and if I like it, I like it. I don't check to see if they're too mainstream or on MTV or whatever.

I bet you use the term "sell out" a ton, don't you? Face it, the goal of at least 90% of bands out there is to sell out. They want to be popular, they want a huge following; I doubt they want to have to do something other than the thing they love (playing music) to support themselves. Granted, there are right and wrong ways to sell out (see Aerosmith for the wrong ways) but to turn on a band or to completely write them off because they're "too popular" or "selling out" is narrow-minded.

Of course you may have heard all of these bands extensively and just do not like their stuff, however to come on here and undermine everyone else's opinion is just plain stupid. Leave that elitist "my band is better than yours" attitude at the door.

Sorry to flip out, but this is a subject that strikes a chord with me.

The entire point of music is not to sell out and make money, it's about making good sounding stuff. Just about every band listed here blatantly uses reguritated s***, changes very minute chords/beats, and calls it their own. These bands are not pushing the limits of music, rather they are making the populus comfortable within a sphere of complete s***tiness. Music needs innovators, not garbage bands that have no creative thought process whatsoever.

Many of "my" bands aren't "huge" at all. Could Radiohead easily make marketable pop music and make even more money what they make now? Of course they can. But why don't they? Why didn't they stick to the form of success that made OK Computer the best album of the 90s and continue making records like that? Why instead did they dabble in IDM/Electronic-Rock with Kid A? Because it pushed outward the boundaries of music.

I find it funny that you assume I hate everything mainstream. Does R.E.M. or Radiohead, two of the biggest, most successful bands of last decade, ring any sort of bell with you? Sure, everything else is obscure, but that's because mainstream music doesn't whet my appetite. I want to hear music that is innovative, not garbage that is merely just marketed to make s***loads of money. And just because something is obscure doesn't mean I hate it. I listened to a bit of Experimental Audio Research recently and hated it. I think that a lot of "my" bands have made mistakes in song selection, releases, etc. While I do not believe "my" bands are infallible, they're miles upon miles ahead of anything listed in this thread. God forbid one wants innovation.

Am I an elitist? I prefer to be called avant-garde.

God it's been a while since I've been here.

My favorites: Linkin park, Pillar, Thousand Foot Krutch, crossfade, breaking benjamin, 12 stones, AFI, finger eleven, Flaw, foo fighters, hipnostic, ill nino, lo pro, soil, tantric, and my band of the moment: thornley.

good stuff... :headbang

I'm dying here, and I have to walk home from work most days.  :(

Sucks for you, this year my office is actually airconditioned. Past couple summers he basically refused to use it and used the power crunch as his excuse, lol.

So is it nice being back in Cali?

Sucks for you, this year my office is actually airconditioned.  Past couple summers he basically refused to use it and used the power crunch as his excuse, lol. 

So is it nice being back in Cali?

It's always good to come back home ;)

My office is air-conditioned too, but I always have to go outside for one reason or another 5 or 6 times a day, and it's just unbearable.

The entire point of music is not to sell out and make money, it's about making good sounding stuff. Just about every band listed here blatantly uses reguritated s***, changes very minute chords/beats, and calls it their own. These bands are not pushing the limits of music, rather they are making the populus comfortable within a sphere of complete s***tiness. Music needs innovators, not garbage bands that have no creative thought process whatsoever.

Many of "my" bands aren't "huge" at all. Could Radiohead easily make marketable pop music and make even more money what they make now? Of course they can. But why don't they? Why didn't they stick to the form of success that made OK Computer the best album of the 90s and continue making records like that? Why instead did they dabble in IDM/Electronic-Rock with Kid A? Because it pushed outward the boundaries of music.

I find it funny that you assume I hate everything mainstream. Does R.E.M. or Radiohead, two of the biggest, most successful bands of last decade, ring any sort of bell with you? Sure, everything else is obscure, but that's because mainstream music doesn't whet my appetite. I want to hear music that is innovative, not garbage that is merely just marketed to make s***loads of money. And just because something is obscure doesn't mean I hate it. I listened to a bit of Experimental Audio Research recently and hated it. I think that a lot of "my" bands have made mistakes in song selection, releases, etc. While I do not believe "my" bands are infallible, they're miles upon miles ahead of anything listed in this thread. God forbid one wants innovation.

Am I an elitist? I prefer to be called avant-garde.

Listen, like I said I bet you've heard the bands we're talking about...you obviously know your music. I'm not denying this. My only problem was with the fact that you crapped on everyone else's opinons by "saving" this thread.

As for the tangential remarks about selling out and such? Well that just me being bitter at stereotypical elitists, which I jumped to including you in. I don't think you are, I was just preparing myself for a common repsonse when someone bashes mainstream.

Also I'm not saying the ENTIRE point of music is to sell out and make money. However, I'm for damn sure that making money plays a big role at the end of the day. It's just bad business otherwise. In the end, it's about toeing the fine line between creativity/innovation and being "successful" in the sense of being wealthy.

Like I said in the post before, I don't want to start a huge argument here; I'd rather this be a thread about music people like and their ability to share their opinions on bands to the rest of the community here. To me, that doesn't include crapping on other people's tastes.

The Punisher soundtrack was awesome.

the punisher is a good album. been hearing a lot lately from the bands you listed except a couple (flaw, hipnostic & pillar--never heard of 'em--don't listen to christian rock) and like what i hear. if you liked punisher soundtrack you'd probably also like the daredevil soundtrack: :cheers

Fuel - "Won't Back Down"

The Calling - "For You"

Saliva - "Bleed For Me"

Seether - "Hang On"

Nickelback - "Learn The Hard Way"

Drowning Pool feat. Rob Zombie - "The Man Without Fear"

Nappy Roots feat. Marcos Curiel of P.O.D. - "Right Now"

Moby - "Evening Rain"

Evanescence - "Bring Me To Life"

Chevelle - "Until You're Reformed"

Hoobastank - "Right Before Your Eyes"

Palo Alto - "Fade Out/In"

Revis - "Caught In The Rain"

BOYSETSFIRE - "High Wire Escape Artist"

Autopilot Off - "Raise Your Rifles"

Graeme Revell and Mike Einziger - "Daredevil Theme (Blind Justice Remix)"

Evanescence - "My Immortal"

finger eleven - "Sad Exchange"

Endo - "Simple Lies"

12 Stones - "Let Go"

Yeah I've heard the Daredevil soundtrack too. That, along with the Punisher, are probably my favorite soundtracks. You should really check out Pillar, they kick ass. I know how people get discouraged when bands are Christian, but the fact is that it's just great music, and that's all that really matters. I'm not even Christian, and they're one of my favorite bands.

www.pillarmusic.com

Yeah I've heard the Daredevil soundtrack too. That, along with the Punisher, are probably my favorite soundtracks. You should really check out Pillar, they kick ass. I know how people get discouraged when bands are Christian, but the fact is that it's just great music, and that's all that really matters. I'm not even Christian, and they're one of my favorite bands.

www.pillarmusic.com

s*** man. just checked out their site. i've heard and love that song in their intro just never knew who sang it. now that i know i'll definitely have to check into them more... :headbang

Fuel - "Won't Back Down"

The Calling - "For You"

Saliva - "Bleed For Me"

Seether - "Hang On"

Nickelback - "Learn The Hard Way"

Drowning Pool feat. Rob Zombie - "The Man Without Fear"

Nappy Roots feat. Marcos Curiel of P.O.D. - "Right Now"

Moby - "Evening Rain"

Evanescence - "Bring Me To Life"

Chevelle - "Until You're Reformed"

Hoobastank - "Right Before Your Eyes" 

Palo Alto - "Fade Out/In"

Revis - "Caught In The Rain" 

BOYSETSFIRE - "High Wire Escape Artist"

Autopilot Off - "Raise Your Rifles" 

Graeme Revell and Mike Einziger - "Daredevil Theme (Blind Justice Remix)" 

Evanescence - "My Immortal"

finger eleven - "Sad Exchange"

Endo - "Simple Lies" 

12 Stones - "Let Go"

Man that is a butt-load of nu-metal

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole ;)

s*** man. just checked out their site. i've heard and love that song in their intro just never knew who sang it. now that i know i'll definitely have to check into them more... :headbang

:lol: Was it Hypnotized? I bet you've probably heard Fireproof too.

Nice sig btw.

Man that is a butt-load of nu-metal

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole ;)

No it's not. The style you're looking for is post-grunge, which is closely synonomous with utter crap.

Nu-metal is the fusion of rap and rock, more or less resulting in awful music.