Another Man Down?

3E8

Everett quad injury

Everett strains lower left quad

Injury may force White Sox into another trade

DETROIT -- The list of lineup-weakening injuries for the White Sox might have taken on another name when designated hitter Carl Everett left in the eighth inning of Friday's contest with Detroit at Comerica Park.

With runners on first and second and one out, Everett grounded a fastball back to the mound and off reliever Esteban Yan, the ball rolling slowly in the wet grass to Yan's left for an infield single. Everett raced down the line, but strained his lower left quadriceps in the process. Timo Perez pinch-ran for Everett, with the inning coming to a close following a Joe Borchard strikeout and Joe Crede grounding into a fielder's choice.

The White Sox eventually lost, 5-4, to Detroit, extending the South Siders' losing streak to six in a row. Everett was listed as day-to-day, talking in the clubhouse after the game of a possibility that he could play Saturday against Detroit left-hander Mike Maroth. The White Sox offense could be in the same precarious state if Everett is gone for any prolonged period of time.

"I think this kid is going to be day-to-day," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen of Everett. "He has a bruise down in his thigh. I hope he's day-to-day.

"If he goes down, now we are talking about serious problems. If he goes down, now we have to talk about what way we have to go. We either have to go to the minor leagues or make another trade."

Chicago already has lost right fielder Magglio Ordonez with left knee problems and designated hitter Frank Thomas because of a stress fracture in his left foot for the next month. The powerful duo could be gone for the rest of the regular season.

Everett was acquired from Montreal for minor league pitchers Jon Rauch and Gary Majewski in a July 18 trade. Everett entered Friday hitting .268 with two home runs and six RBIs in 41 at-bats for the White Sox, and .262 with four home runs and 20 RBIs overall.

The non-waiver trade deadline comes at 3 p.m. CT on Saturday, and White Sox general manager Ken Williams has been feverishly working the phone lines all week long in search of a deal to further improve his team. With the latest setback to Everett, Williams could have another gaping hole to fill.

"To lose him and have three guys down, it would be tough for us," said White Sox catcher Jamie Burke of Everett's impact. "We still have to look past that and play small ball and do the little things to win."

"I have a lot to worry about here," added Guillen, when asked about how long the team could wait on Everett before making a move. "Whoever I bring up, I have to manage. It's up to Kenny to decide what we are going to do. But we will wait until Saturday to see how he feels."

Hopefully he's ok, we can't afford another injury.  If he misses any significant time, I'm sure we'll see 50 million threads pop up about how kw should have never traded for Carl and how he overpaid. :ph34r:

At least 5, i am positive of that.

But KW should've had the awareness to predict injuries that happen in the future.

I know you put that in green, but how hard is it to predict that Everett would be injured sooner or later. He was injured most of this year and he's certainly nearing the end of his career. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

If the Sox hadn't picked this guy up, he'd still be sitting in Montreal on Sunday because of his high injury risk.

I know you put that in green, but how hard is it to predict that Everett would be injured sooner or later.  He was injured most of this year and he's certainly nearing the end of his career.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. 

If the Sox hadn't picked this guy up, he'd still be sitting in Montreal on Sunday because of his high injury risk.

He was completely healed from his shoulder injury this year. KW had the chance to test his physical health and everything was alright. It's kind of hard to foresee that Carl would hurt his quad trying to leg out an infield single in some soft dirt.

I suppose you can say he is at a high risk for injury, but we needed a bat immediately.

I know you put that in green, but how hard is it to predict that Everett would be injured sooner or later.  He was injured most of this year and he's certainly nearing the end of his career.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. 

Ozzie - since you know everything, and know what to do in every situation - why the hell aren't you a GM? rolleyeyes.gif