White Sox @ Tribe Game Thread (4/14, 6:05 p.m. CT)

Jabroni

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
All I know is that Everett is an absolute disaster in the outfield.  In a way, Everett/Ozzie/KW got lucky that Frank was hurt, so they don't have a 4 million dollar bench player.  A pitcher won't have a lot of success with Everett in the field, especially someone like El Duque who gives up a lot of flyballs.

Talk about overstatements...A pitcher wont have a lot of success because Carl isn't great defensively? Carl makes up with the bat. A bat that we will need. I garauntee Dye and Pods will not be hitting well for the entire year. You either put in Timo's average defense and below average bat or you put in Carl's above average bat and below average defense. For offensively challenged club, I'll take the latter.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
Fathom is correct. If Everett is going to be in the outfield a lot the Sox are not going to win. He is a DH. When and if Frank comes back, Everett is either a real expensive pinch hitter, platoons with Frank or is trade bait. He also appears to be gaining back some of the weight that he lost.

Actually, I think he will be playingthe outfield, not saying he will be good at it, but he will be playing. Whether fathom or anyone else is right, really doesn't matter, they need to find a place for him to play. He will play the outfield, when others are injured, and will spell them a couple of times per week.

Only time will tell if anyone is right.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
So you're gonna bench Podsednik, Rowand or Dye? I don't think so.

No one said that. What I am saying Carl HAS to play the OF. To spell all 3. THERE IS NO REASON WHY TIMO SHOULD GET MORE ABs THAN CARL. Absolutely no reason. And by saying Carl shouldn't play the OF, that's what you are doing. You are saying you favor Timo in the OF over Carl which is absurd.

Carl isn't bad defensively like Carlos Lee used to be like 3 years ago. Everett is at a whole great level of awfulness when he's in the field. We've been winning games because of our pitching and defense, not because we're out-slugging teams. Why not play Gload in LF, PK at 1b, and Everett at DH? If Everett just messed up some plays in the outfield, I would have just marked it up to an Ozzie mistake, and not mention it but once after the play. However, Everett got injured, and it could be a shoulder problem that really impacts a player's swing. Everett is injury prone!

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
If one of them is not hitting why not? If they are hitting awful it would be time for a change.

My point is when Frank gets back, and if he's 100%, Everett is at best a 4th outfielder who is a disaster defensively, maybe a platoon DH and a pinch hitter.

I didnt see that they had shifted for Hafner, otherwise that is pretty much a tailor made DP ball.

It still should of been 1 out, which means coupled with the Everett debacle El Duque was forced to get 5 batters out. Not an easy accomplishment.

SB

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
So you're gonna bench Podsednik, Rowand or Dye? I don't think so.

Actaully, this will take care of itself, Pods will be injured again and again because when you run you get injured. Dye is injury prone, and Rowand needs a break sometime. frank will continue to be hobbled, he will not be 100% this year. There are your at bats. Again only time will tell. save the thread

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
No one said that.  What I am saying Carl HAS to play the OF.  To spell all 3.  THERE IS NO REASON WHY TIMO SHOULD GET MORE ABs THAN CARL.  Absolutely no reason.  And by saying Carl shouldn't play the OF, that's what you are doing.  You are saying you favor Timo in the OF over Carl which is absurd.

No, you're saying Timo is a backup outfielder, while Everett is not an outfielder. Since when do you put totally inferior players in the field just to play them? I honestly think we're a better organization than to have to do that. Everett makes Sosa look like a very good outfielder.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 11:52 PM)
Carl isn't bad defensively like Carlos Lee used to be like 3 years ago.  Everett is at a whole great level of awfulness when he's in the field.  We've been winning games because of our pitching and defense, not because we're out-slugging teams.  Why not play Gload in LF, PK at 1b, and Everett at DH?  If Everett just messed up some plays in the outfield, I would have just marked it up to an Ozzie mistake, and not mention it but once after the play.  However, Everett got injured, and it could be a shoulder problem that really impacts a player's swing.  Everett is injury prone!

TYhe whole outfield is injury prone, Pods is injured now, Rowand crashes into walls and has been injured and Dye is always injured. Whats the point? Everett if healthy will play several times a week.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
No one said that.  What I am saying Carl HAS to play the OF.  To spell all 3.  THERE IS NO REASON WHY TIMO SHOULD GET MORE ABs THAN CARL.  Absolutely no reason.  And by saying Carl shouldn't play the OF, that's what you are doing.  You are saying you favor Timo in the OF over Carl which is absurd.

Did you see Everett play CF for the Sox in 2003? Did you see him misplay a few balls in the 3 game series the Sox had against him and the Expos last season? The first ball hit to him this season cost the Sox 2 runs. He is a brutal defensive outfielder. Timo is far superior defensively. The ball seems to find guys who are that bad defensively.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
Did you see Everett play CF for the Sox in 2003? Did you see him misplay a few balls in the 3 game series the Sox had against him and the Expos last season? The first ball hit to him this season cost the Sox 2 runs. He is a brutal defensive outfielder. Timo is far superior defensively. The ball seems to find guys who are that bad defensively.

Carl will not play center, but pods will when they spell AAron.