Buehrle....

bjm676

Yet another reason to love this guy :cheers

Buehrle fires right back at Cubs fans

Sox ace doesn't hesitate to toy with beligerent backers

CHICAGO -- A loud roar went up from the crowd in the left-field bleachers at Wrigley Field on Sunday morning as the White Sox were taking batting practice. But it wasn't a group reaction to some prolific clout off the bat of Paul Konerko or Jermaine Dye.

The Cubs fans and White Sox fans alike were responding to Mark Buehrle's antics while shagging fly balls. The most notable maneuver from the entertaining left-hander was his mock sweeping of the field, playfully referring to the broom the White Sox would use if they completed the three-game run over the North Siders.

Buehrle stands as the ace of the White Sox staff, and it's a very poorly kept secret that he grew up a devout fan of the St. Louis Cardinals. Those two traits combined seemingly give him very little tolerance for the Cubs' fans, in general.

But his view of the notorious 'Bleacher Bums' seemed even less charitable.

"These fans, some of the fans out in the bleachers, once they have had a few drinks, they may be some of the dumbest fans here," said Buehrle with a smile. "They like taunting me, and I'm going to turn around and mess with them.

"It seems like they can dish it out, but can't take it. Once I go back and say something to them, it seems like they get their hearts broken."

Comments from Buehrle probably didn't break the collective hearts of Cubs fans who made up the 117,783 that attended this three-game set. The White Sox winning two of the three games took care of that issue without Buehrle saying a word.

The weakened forces were a little off their game by Sunday afternoon. When he went out to shag fly balls, Buehrle asked the supporters in blue and white what happened to all the chirping that he took on Friday. After a brief silence, one fan yelled out, 'Buehrle, you (stink),' bringing the reaction Buehrle sought out.

One fan actually got on Buehrle for making his residence on the North Side of Chicago, instead of the South Side, because there's nothing to do on the (lousy) South Side. A weak effort, in Buehrle's estimation, but not the worst performance of the day.

"What was the dumbest thing I heard?" Buehrle said. "I heard a couple of guys tell me, 'Go back to Triple-A.' I have no clue where that came from. I've never been there and with a 7-1 record, I don't know what you need to do to go back to Charlotte.

"There are some fans out there who know baseball and are having fun. Some are totally ignorant and say some stupid stuff. It's all in good fun, until fans take it a little too far."

That line was crossed, according to Buehrle, with family brought into a few putdowns. This sort of acrimonious by-play exists at other ballparks, but Buehrle believes it's much worse at Wrigley.

He even delivered that message to Brandon McCarthy, who threw 5 1/3 stellar innings during his Major League debut. McCarthy was advised that the fans would be all over him in the bullpen, and that he should move closer to the field during his warmups if the comments bothered him.

Dye played the outfield in Wrigley Field as part of his fourth team, having previously made the trip with the Atlanta Braves, Kansas City Royals and Oakland A's. He thought Sunday's series finale was kind of tame, comparatively.

All three games were well played, but the series seemed to lack its normal intensity. Maybe it's because of Sammy Sosa's departure or Frank Thomas' absence, two lightning rods for fan reaction.

Then again, maybe it's because of the White Sox's early dominance and the Cubs' corresponding struggles.

"Today, nobody really said anything. I really didn't hear anything at all," Dye said. "But I guess when you are doing good, there's nothing to say.

"It's always great here, whether you are coming in with the White Sox or on another team. It's always fun to play here."

Edited by robinventura23

One old cubs fan I had the displeasure of sitting next to was giving me s*** for basically the entire game on Saturday. When we finally went ahead late in the game, I really let him have it. He then had to change seats with someone else in his party because he was trying to resist the urge to fight me.

QUOTE(3E8 @ May 22, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)
One old cubs fan I had the displeasure of sitting next to was giving me s*** for basically the entire game on Saturday.  When we finally went ahead late in the game, I really let him have it.  He then had to change seats with someone else in his party because he was trying to resist the urge to fight me.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE(3E8 @ May 22, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
One old cubs fan I had the displeasure of sitting next to was giving me s*** for basically the entire game on Saturday.  When we finally went ahead late in the game, I really let him have it.  He then had to change seats with someone else in his party because he was trying to resist the urge to fight me.

must have felt good, cant wait till i give it to everyone at school about how we beat the cubs

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ May 22, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
must have felt good, cant wait till i give it to everyone at school about how we beat the cubs

I'm going to refrain from doing that. It's a fun series to win, no doubt about that but it's just another series, now if some idiot flub fan says something dumb to me well then that's a different story but I'm not going to rub it in.

I hate how stupid most Cubs followers are, I will not call them fans because they do not deserve to be called fans. Whenever someone says "sox suck, cubs rule" I ask them what's the cubs record or name 5 starters on the team and almost always they can't answer it and come back by making fun of me and saying I'm too obsessed with the Sox. It gets really old. It's sad when I know more about their team than they do.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ May 22, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
I hate how stupid most Cubs followers are, I will not call them fans because they do not deserve to be called fans. Whenever someone says "sox suck, cubs rule" I ask them what's the cubs record or name 5 starters on the team and almost always they can't answer it and come back by making fun of me and saying I'm too obsessed with the Sox. It gets really old. It's sad when I know more about their team than they do.

I pull that same thing!

I was at the game today and I did not here one Sox commet made to me,or my wife! I had my Ivan Calderon jersey on and Ozzie noticed it during BP on made me turn around so Joey and Coop could see it! :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(That funky motion @ May 22, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
I had my Ivan Calderon jersey on and Ozzie noticed it during BP on made me turn around so Joey and Coop could see it! :gosoxretro:

:lol: That's awesome. Too bad I dished out a lot for an Ordonez 2003 All-Star Game jersey and now he sucks. :angry: I thought it would be great to have that jersey since I was at the game and it fell on my golden birthday.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ May 22, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
:lol: That's awesome. Too bad I dished out a lot for an Ordonez 2003 All-Star Game jersey and now he sucks. :angry: I thought it would be great to have that jersey since I was at the game and it fell on my golden birthday.

I had a chance to get either a Loaiza or Everett 03 allstar jersey before the beginning of last year, I got the Loaiza one even though Carl is one of my favorite players around because Esteban was still on the team and Carl was gone, woops :angry:

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 22, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
I had a chance to get either a Loaiza or Everett 03 allstar jersey before the beginning of last year, I got the Loaiza one even though Carl is one of my favorite players around because Esteban was still on the team and Carl was gone,  woops :angry:

:lol: That sucks. The thing that sucked about the jersey's that year was that they only sold Esteban and Everett jerseys at the stadium because Maggs was a late replacement and they didn't make any of his jerseys, so I had to find mine on E-Bay. It was $100 less than what the Cell was charging though so that worked out.

Whoever wrote the story must not have been at the three games due to this comment.

Just listening on TV and radio, you could CLEARLY hear chears for the SOX, including 'Paulie, Paulie'. I would venture to guess that Sox fans made up a sizable chunk of the people in attendance.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ May 22, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)

Did you take a golden shower that day?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ May 23, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
MB go back to AAA?!?! 

LMFAO!!!!!!

Seeing how his numbers are better than both Wood AND Prior maybe they both should go first.

I wonder if the dumb Cubs fans thought that MB was actually the pitcher called up from AAA to pitch Sunday's game.

"These fans, some of the fans out in the bleachers, once they have had a few drinks, they may be some of the dumbest fans here," said Buehrle with a smile. "They like taunting me, and I'm going to turn around and mess with them.

"It seems like they can dish it out, but can't take it. Once I go back and say something to them, it seems like they get their hearts broken."

That's freaking awesome.

:notworthy

whitesoxin', I couldn't agree more. That pisses me off. Why do people make such idiots of themselves? Ignorantly trying to make themselves sound right, even though it's completely senselss and illogical. Anyone who would say Mark Beurhle "stinks" or should "go back to AAA" has got one huge dick up their ass.

The funniest thing was I had about 4 or 5 people tell me that at least the Cubs won. Which i then replied, "Okay, you lost the series." Their brilliant retort "Well Prior pitched great" Mine: "BMac matched him until the 6th and you only won by a run." "SO THE CUBS STILL RULE!" Laugh. Out. Loud.

The funniest thing was I had about 4 or 5 people tell me that at least the Cubs won. Which i then replied, "Okay, you lost the series." Their brilliant retort "Well Prior pitched great" Mine: "BMac matched him until the 6th and you only won by a run." "SO THE CUBS STILL RULE!" Laugh. Out. Loud.

LMAO the guy was just pissed because he got PWNED. GOD, is it so hard to admit THE CUBS LST THE SERIES?! LOL, I mean McCarthy did good, El Duque didn't even get to play and we're talking a game vs. PRIOR here. No, in all seriousness, it does indeed seem the cubs get credit no matter what. Even meaningless credit. I think the cubs are the only team that could be in last place and still sell out a game.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
LMAO the guy was just pissed because he got PWNED. GOD, is it so hard to admit THE CUBS LST THE SERIES?! LOL, I mean McCarthy did good, El Duque didn't even get to play and we're talking a game vs. PRIOR here. No, in all seriousness, it does indeed seem the cubs get credit no matter what. Even meaningless credit. I think the cubs are the only team that could be in last place and still sell out a game.

What really should be noted is that they threw their very best at us, STILL lost 2 of 3 and barely won the 3rd game.

Oh yeah. I wouldn't want to discredit BMAC, but I thought it was kinda funny PRIOR could've easily been beaten by him, a minor leaguer. I mean BMAC is awesome, but Prior is a great pitcher. But look at what happened.