Will Konerko re-sign?

Kyyle23

I found this on the Sports Illustrated truth and rumors page. The Tribune is reported as the source, but I cant find where this was printed:

Wouldn't it be nice if Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf opened his wallet to sign free-agent-to-be Paul Konerko? It would have been done by now if Konerko played for the Cubs, but Reinsdorf's ownership group doesn't have the resources of Tribune Co., and just about everybody in the Sox's clubhouse understands that.

It would have been done by now if Konerko played for the Cubs? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Didnt the Cubs wait all off-season and part of Spring Training to re-sign Aramis Ramirez? How about all the smoke and mirrors in the Sammy Sosa contract negotiations?

Reinsdorf hasnt endeared himself to everyone throughout his tenure, but claims like this are just stupid.

:chair

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 23, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
I found this on the Sports Illustrated truth and rumors page.  The Tribune is reported as the source, but I cant find where this was printed:

It would have been done by now if Konerko played for the Cubs? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Didnt the Cubs wait all off-season and part of Spring Training to re-sign Aramis Ramirez? How about all the smoke and mirrors in the Sammy Sosa contract negotiations?

Reinsdorf hasnt endeared himself to everyone throughout his tenure, but claims like this are just stupid. 

:chair

we should re-sign him now if he can add a "slump clause" to his contract

I agree, I think we should go another direction. I am not sure he is worth what we will be paying him, based on the market trends. There will be some serious players that will be available at the deadline as well as in the offseason. I think we wait it out and see if he will sign at a discount, or explore other options.

wait to see if his numbers even out, and then how much money he wants. maybe he's a really slow starter, or maybe it's just 2 bad starts.

on a related note, am I the only one that noticed the shameless plug by the Tribune writer? maybe the fact that the Sox get no love from Chicagoans and the Cubs do is because of the obvious media bias (the newspaper owns the Cubs).

QUOTE(AirScott @ May 23, 2005 -> 06:11 PM)
on a related note, am I the only one that noticed the shameless plug by the Tribune writer?  maybe the fact that the Sox get no love from Chicagoans and the Cubs do is because of the obvious media bias (the newspaper owns the Cubs).

Actually Scott, that was my beef with the article, not whether Konerko should be re-signed or not.

Are there any decent 1B replacement options in FA this year? Does someone have a list of guys? I agree that we shouldn't pay Konerko a ton of money, but I also don't want to see Ross Gload or some other in-house schmuck replacing him (unless Fields develops faster than expected). It looks like it would be pretty tough to get one in a trade: the only ones that come to mind are Overbay and Huff, who will cost a ton, and hot prospects like Adrian Gonzalez and Ryan Howard that are much less of a sure thing.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 23, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)
Are there any decent 1B replacement options in FA this year? Does someone have a list of guys? I agree that we shouldn't pay Konerko a ton of money, but I also don't want to see Ross Gload or some other in-house schmuck replacing him (unless Fields develops faster than expected). It looks like it would be pretty tough to get one in a trade: the only ones that come to mind are Overbay and Huff, who will cost a ton, and hot prospects like Adrian Gonzalez and Ryan Howard that are much less of a sure thing.

Paul is probably the best FA out there. The rest are even bigger scrubs.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 23, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)

Fred McGriff (Agent Jim Krivacs)

David Segui

Ellis Burks (Retired)

Edgar Martinez(Retired)

Brad Fullmer

Robin Ventura(Retired)

Mo Vaughn

Andres Galaragga (Retired)

Phil Hiatt

Dave McCarty

Rafael Palmeiro

Frank Thomas (Player + Team option)

J.T. Snow

John Olerud

Dave Hansen

Julio Franco

Tim Salmon

Doug Mientkiewicz (Vesting Option) (arb.)

Kevin Millar

Paul Konerko

Dimitri Young (Team Option)

Scott Hatteberg (Team Option)

Eduardo Perez

Wil Cordero

Robert Fick

Greg Colbrunn

Mark Sweeney

Tino Martinez (Team Option)

Ruben Sierra

Tony Clark

Travis Lee

Erubiel Durazo

Brian Buchanan

Durazo>konerko.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:06 AM)
I would think about JT Snow, Millar and Durazo. Durazo would be third on my list.

Durazo would be number one by a large margain if he could play first base. Then it would be millar and snow. I like millar because he is pretty versatile which is always nice.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
To answer the title of this thread, I truly hope not.  Konerko is the definition of a one-dimensional player.  He can hit homeruns, period.  Some team will pay him much more than we will because of that.  He's not even worth the $8 million he's getting this year.

Even better, 8.75 million this year.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 24, 2005 -> 01:10 AM)
Durazo would be number one by a large margain if he could play first base. Then it would be millar and snow. I like millar because he is pretty versatile which is always nice.

Millar's versatile? He's just as slow as Konerko, but with much less pop in his bat. I've seen him play for two years now. Of course, he's a "team leader," too. He's a poor man's Pauly. He's definitely last on my list.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:13 AM)
Millar's versatile?  He's just as slow as Konerko, but with much less pop in his bat.  I've seen him play for two years now.  Of course, he's a "team leader," too.  He's a poor man's Pauly.  He's definitely last on my list.

Yes, more versatile. He can play left and first while konerko can just play first. That seems like two to one to me. Also, he is not slower than konerko. He hits for a higher average along with a higher ops ( career wise). Millar's career ops is 121 while konerko's is only 111. Millar we also be significantly cheaper than konerko.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 23, 2005 -> 11:18 PM)
Yes, more versatile. He can play left and first while konerko can just play first. That seems like two to one to me. Also, he is not slower than konerko. He hits for a higher average along with a higher ops ( career wise). Millar's career ops is 121 while konerko's is only 111. Millar we also be significantly cheaper than konerko.

:cheers :headbang :notworthy

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 24, 2005 -> 01:18 AM)

He's making $3.5 million this year, so he'll be getting around 5 million next year. I think we can do better with that money. He really is slow. True, not Konerko slow, but who really is?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
He's making $3.5 million this year, so he'll be getting around 5 million next year.  I think we can do better with that money.  He really is slow.  True, not Konerko slow, but who really is?

Five million is no guarantee if he keeps up his .680 opsgive or take .50-.70 points. If he puts up numbers closer to his career average he will get that without a doubt. We has one person on thsi team that is just as slow if not slower than konerko and that would be pierz, another would be david ortiz. There are some more but not too many.

With that pathetic free agent class, there is no doubt that Konerko is gone. Plus add to that the fact that Konerko hasn't been extended yet, and the writing is one the wall.

My theory, look for one of the starting pitchers to be dealt for a first baseman and some depth in the off-season.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2005 -> 07:16 AM)
With that pathetic free agent class, there is no doubt that Konerko is gone.  Plus add to that the fact that Konerko hasn't been extended yet, and the writing is one the wall.

My theory, look for one of the starting pitchers to be dealt for a first baseman and some depth in the off-season.

I think this will be looked at by the Sox as a choice between PK and Frank. It's gonna be Frank, imho.

My problem is not the numbers or the money. As much as I cringe sometimes when Konerko is up, he is the face of the Sox and a fan favorite.

I feel he has been a pretty good soldier during his tenure here and the Sox should sign him. Again, I don't know what kind of money we are looking at, but the chants of "Paulie, Paulie" this weekend at Wrigley, tell me that the fans love this guy and the organization should respect that as well.

That being said, with 1 out and a man on first, I would make a fortune if I bet on "Double Play" when Konerko is up in that situation.