Bill Mueller could be traded to the White Sox

redandwhite

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 04:02 AM)
Really?  I know that he used to have a damn good glove with the Giants and the Cubs, but I heard that he has mostly sucked it up defensively over the past couple of years, to the point where people are kind of baffled because defense was always a given with Bill.  I'm not really in the habit of checking out Red Sox games, but that's the word, big bird.

Yes, really.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
does anybody pay for that ESPN INside thing? THey have a trade rumor section that I was curious to what is says. They have Ken Griffey on the front of it on the MLB section of ESPN.com. Someone let me know what those ESPN people think?

There is no mention of Ken Griffey Jr going anywhere

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
Mueller is an above average third baseman with good range and a good arm.  He's not a gold glover but is annually in the top five in every defensive statistic that matters.

So you would be discluding fielding percentage, range factor, and zone rating? What are this defesive statistics that matter then? Hmm.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
So you would be discluding fielding percentage, range factor, and zone rating? What are this defesive statistics that matter then? Hmm.

And as you stated in a previous thread, range factor ain't even all that important. POs plus Assists over Innings is more a fuction of total chances.

But the Zone Rating (the actual measure of range) is a clear indication that Bill is nowhere near what he once was. I know that his knees are f***ed, though.

So, he doesn't make a lot of errors (only 4), but he ain't getting to a s***load of balls.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
You were asked to give an opinion on his glove in 2005, not 1999.  Right now, he is without question a below average fielder when you add everything up.  Maybe he is solid when it is hit right to him, but his zone rating is pathetic.

I see little to no drop off in his defense this season watching him on a daily basis. I was shocked to find out his zr and rf were so horrid. In all honesty, its hard to fathom.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 18, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)

i believe the word you were looking for is excluding. not discluding

Edited by daa84

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5513393.html

The Red Sox have called the Twins looking for pitching. Boston is believed to be interested in lefthander J.C. Romero, who could help stabilize a bullpen that had a 5.51 ERA entering Monday -- the second-highest in the American League.

The Twins, of course, are looking for hitting, and the Red Sox might be willing to deal veteran third baseman Bill Mueller, who is batting .277 with four homers, 36 RBI and a .379 on-base percentage.

Mueller was the 2003 AL batting champion when he hit .326 with 19 homers and 85 RBI. Those numbers fell to .283, 12 and 57 last year. He is making $2.5 million and will be a free agent after the season.