Go Twins and Indians

GoSox05

Let me be the first to say that the A's are going to win the ALW. A 36-11 record since June 1st is damn near unbeatable in the game of baseball.

So that means LAA, NYY, BOS, MIN, CLE, BAL are the likely WC's.

Who here really believes the resurgent Yankees behind Johnson won't either win the ALE or the ALWC? I sure don't.

With respect to BOS Schilling should figure it out in Aug to dominate Sep.

Schilling + Clement is enough to drive them to the post season as well.

LAA, BAL, CLE, & MIN will be sitting home.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
I think the Angels will prevail.  Oakland can't keep this pace up.

I agree. There's no way the A's can keep playing .770 ball (using Jugg's numbers since June 1), and I think the Angels are a stronger team overall. The Angels have a stronger lineup (the A's are pretty much like us, only three guys over .290, and 2 of them aren't everyday players, and Crosby missed some games, meaning a smaller sample size), a deeper rotation, especially if Escobar gets back (the A's rotation is frontloaded, making them better built for the playoffs), and a similar bullpen (although I give the A's a slight edge thus far).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

It's in the bag. Just look at the collapse years.

2004: Aug 12W, Sep 17W : 29

2003: Aug 16W, Sep 13W : 29

2002: Aug 14W, Sep 16W : 30

2001: Aug 17W, Sep 14W : 31

As you can see the avg is 30W. We still have 3 left in Jul & 2 in Oct.

It's highly unlikely we'll finish with less than 32W in these final games.

That would give us 97W.

The Twins would need to finish 44-18 to overtake us. Highly unlikely for a team that is 4-6 in it's last 10.

As long as we play the Twins another 13 times or so, there's no such thing as a lock. The worst thing about the A's playing great right now isn't that we might have to play them in the playoffs. Instead, it's the fact that there will be another team that has a great record in the AL likely.

I agree. There's no way the A's can keep playing .770 ball (using Jugg's numbers since June 1), and I think the Angels are a stronger team overall. The Angels have a stronger lineup (the A's are pretty much like us, only three guys over .290, and 2 of them aren't everyday players, and Crosby missed some games, meaning a smaller sample size), a deeper rotation, especially if Escobar gets back (the A's rotation is frontloaded, making them better built for the playoffs), and a similar bullpen (although I give the A's a slight edge thus far).

They have 10 H2H games left. That will decide it. I think the A's will do it. They are 8-2 in their last 10. That means they are avoiding losing streaks. This team has a history of hitting a zone & riding the season out.

As long as we play the Twins another 13 times or so, there's no such thing as a lock.  The worst thing about the A's playing great right now isn't that we might have to play them in the playoffs.  Instead, it's the fact that there will be another team that has a great record in the AL likely.

Let's say we do follow the team's 4 yr avg & win 32 of our last 62 for a total of 97 wins. Let's likewise say we follow the team's 4 yr avg vs MIN & win 4 out of our last 13 vs Minny.

Did I mention the Twins have 10 games with Oak & 6 games with Bos left? :D

Adding it all up our 32W drop the MN to 22. Our 4 wins against MN drops it to 18.

Assuming they split with the contenders it drops to 10. That means they have to go 22-10 (.6875) in their remaining 32 games just to tie us.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
Let's say we do follow the team's 4 yr avg & win 32 of our last 62 for a total of 97 wins.  Let's likewise say we follow the team's 4 yr avg vs MIN & win 4 out of our last 13 vs Minny. 

Did I mention the Twins have 10 games with Oak & 6 games with Bos left?  :D

Adding it all up our 32W drop the MN to 22.  Our 4 wins against MN drops it to 18.

Assuming they split with the contenders it drops to 10.  That means they have to go 22-10 (.6875) in their remaining 32 games just to tie us.

Have you never heard of a 10 game losing streak? There is nothing locked up, I don't care how much you JUGGle the numbers.

Have you never heard of a 10 game losing streak?  There is nothing locked up, I don't care how much you JUGGle the numbers.

All of that is factored in to the 4 yr avg's. All things considered the only way we can lose the division is if Minny at least splits with Oak & Bos, dominates us, & wins every series they play.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
Ill root for the twins, indians, yankees or red sox as long as theyre playing oakland.  I wouldnt care who the sox played in the first round if they make the playoffs besides Oakland.

Considering the Twins play the A's 10 times in the 2nd half........that would be quite bad for the Sox if the Twins performed real well against them.