Twinkies done adding offense

SSH2005

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5798207.html

NEW ORDER UNFURLED

After adding Rondell White, the Twins are pretty much finished addressing their offense. A look at their projected lineup for 2006:

1. Shannon Stewart, lf

2. Luis Castillo, 2b

3. Joe Mauer, c

4. Rondell White, dh

5. Torii Hunter, cf

6. Justin Morneau, 1b

7. Tony Batista, 3b

8. Lew Ford/Jason Kubel/Michael Cuddyer, rf

9. Jason Bartlett, ss

This is nice to know. No Frank or Piazza for the Twinkies. And while that is an improved lineup, it definately doesn't scare me.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 08:23 AM)
That's an improved lineup with their fantastic pitching, they scare me more then the Indians.

That's an improved lineup...IF people like Hunter, Mauer, and White can stay healthy and if Morneau can produce.

In baseball, the more "IF"s you have, the less likely they all are to come true. They're counting on an awful lot of things to go right, which I guess is what you have to do when you're a small market team.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
That's an improved lineup...IF people like Hunter, Mauer, and White can stay healthy and if Morneau can produce.

In baseball, the more "IF"s you have, the less likely they all are to come true.  They're counting on an awful lot of things to go right, which I guess is what you have to do when you're a small market team.

Torii just had a freak injury last year, I'm sure he'll be fine. They improved an infinite amount at 2nd base because Nick Punto and Luis Rivas suck, White is an upgrade over Lecroy but like you said he has to stay healthy. Mauer and Morneau will both be better this season and their rotation is going to be improved as well imo. There isn't a team in the AL that scares me more then Minny to be honest.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)
Torii just had a freak injury last year, I'm sure he'll be fine.  They improved an infinite amount at 2nd base because Nick Punto and Luis Rivas suck, White is an upgrade over Lecroy but like you said he has to stay healthy.  Mauer and Morneau will both be better this season and their rotation is going to be improved as well imo.  There isn't a team in the AL that scares me more then Minny to be honest.

Yes, Hunter's injury was a freak injury...but so was Magglio Ordonez's Injury. So were all 3 of Prior's injuries. So was Mauer's injury the year before.

You know as well as I do that when a person suffers a serious injury, there are always reprocussions long into the future. Hell, both my knees keep telling me that.

Mauer and Morneau are, IMO, the keys to their lineup. If they're both "Better" as you say...and if other key people stay healthy...then that team could beat the crap out of everyone except us.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
I am still waiting to see what Mauer can do in a full season.  Not that he is not good, but I would still venture to say that people are expecting bigger things than we have seen so far.

His 550 plate appearances last year didn't constitute a full season?

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
He logged some DL time and was slowed by injuries.  489 is his 2005 total, but not at 100%.

489 AB's plus 61 walks, hence 550 plate appearances.

For comparison, AJ Pierzynski had 483 plate appearances in 2005.

Mauer did have some injury problems, but his biggest issue I still think for most of the year was recovering from his knee problems the year before.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
Agreed. Hence, his not yet living up to expectations ... yet.

Problem is, as a catcher, he may never...when you're a catcher and you start having knee, leg and groin problems early in your career...it's really damn hard for those things to heal all the way and never bother you, since you're taking such a beating behind the plate.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
Problem is, as a catcher, he may never...when you're a catcher and you start having knee, leg and groin problems early in your career...it's really damn hard for those things to heal all the way and never bother you, since you're taking such a beating behind the plate.

Once again, agreed. The shelf life of a good younf catcher is generally short which is why it is smart to not sign them long term. If Mauer is ever to come close to the offensive expectations, a position change (ie Biggio) may be in order. Perhaps Mauer can go to 1st.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
All they did was add washed up old guys like White and Batista. I'm not scared at all.

While still playing in America, Tony Batista hit atleast 25 homers in a season from 99-04. That's not bad at all, especially for how cheaply Minnesota got him. He's not outstanding offensively, but if he hits .270, that's a huge bat down in the lower part of the order. He hits .240, and he's still hitting 25-30 homers for you.

Also, with Rondell White, there have been 2 guarantees for him for the past 12 years or so, with the exception of 1997 and 2002 - putting up a .290-.300 average and a .790-.850 OPS for you, and taking atleast 1 DL stint(after all, you can't spell Rondell without DL). Those exception years are of course a full season, and his season with New York. You take out one of those factors as best as you can, and you are looking at a dangerous ass player for very cheap. I don't view him as washed up, but rather as a very good hitter who is a bit injury prone.

With less pressure on Morneau and Ford(and company) lower in the lineup, a better top of the order for Minnesota, and almost an undoubtedly improved pitching staff, I view them as a very scary team next year. Include how Cleveland will not go away, and the additions the Sox have made, and I gotta imagine that atleast 100 wins will probably be what it takes to win the AL Central. Say hello to the toughest division in baseball.