Our Minor League Studs

Jim Fainter

After a very brief analysis of our four Minor League teams, all of whom have played about 45 games or so, it appears as if we have twelve legitimate hitting prospects. They comprise 7 OF, 1 C, 2 1B, and 2 2B.

Brumbaugh, Scott .338 AAA

Gload, Ross .311

Miles, Aaron .353

Acevas, Jon .299 AA

Alvarez, Gabe .328

Bikowski, Scott .344

Holt, Daylon .301 A

Martel, Norm .290

Reed, Jeremy .340

Yan, Ruddy .360

Reyes, Julio .331

Webster, Anthony .318

I'm sure we have a few more who are ticketed for Bristol and Great Falls. I have no idea what this proves.

After a very brief analysis of our four Minor League teams, all of whom have played about 45 games or so, it appears as if we have twelve legitimate hitting prospects.  They comprise 7 OF, 1 C, 2 1B, and 2 2B.

Brumbaugh, Scott      .338 AAA

Gload, Ross            .311

Miles, Aaron            .353

Acevas, Jon                .299    AA

Alvarez, Gabe          .328

Bikowski, Scott        .344

Holt, Daylon            .301    A

Martel, Norm              .290

Reed, Jeremy          .340

Yan, Ruddy              .360

Reyes, Julio              .331

Webster, Anthony    .318

I'm sure we have a few more who are ticketed for Bristol and Great Falls.  I have no idea what this proves.

Holt is too old

After a very brief analysis of our four Minor League teams, all of whom have played about 45 games or so, it appears as if we have twelve legitimate hitting prospects.  They comprise 7 OF, 1 C, 2 1B, and 2 2B.

Webster, Anthony    .318

I'm sure we have a few more who are ticketed for Bristol and Great Falls.  I have no idea what this proves.

Hate to burst your bubble, but the following guys you mentioned are not legit prospects. They are either Minor League vets or marginal prospects...

Brumbaugh - AAA/AAAA guy

Gload - AAA/AAAA guy

Miles - Still has to be considered marginal. He is doing everything he can to change that, but there will still be skepticism until he proves it in the Majors. Many guys with similar talents make it, have a colid year or two and then fade back into AAAA status. He still has a great chance and is doing exactly what he needs to do.

Aceves - organizational guy/backup catcher type

Alvarez - was a prospect in 97 and spent parts of 98-00 in the bigs with Detroit and San Diego.

Bikowski - Marginal. Solid average hitter with a decent amount of walks but not much power at all. He's a solid outfielder with a decent arm. Overall, his skills are good, but not great. To make it, he'll have to keep getting better and hit so well that they can't keep him down. There are lots of guys in AAA with his talents that never make it. He has a chance, but he won't be near the top of any prospect lists. He is also 26 and repeating AA which is not in his favor.

Holt - Marginal at best. He is 24 and back in Class A after AA last year. He strikes out way too much and doesn't walk much. You could say he is almost Borchard without the upside and doing it at 2 levels below.

Martel - Don't know a lot about him, but his numbers don't favor him. He's 24 and still in A ball. Has no power and doesn't look like a lot of speed. Only has 69 AB's this year, so either he is playing part-time or has been hurt.

Reed - From all indications he is the first real position player prospect on this list. He is tearing up high A in his first full professional season. He should get bumped to AA after the first half of the season. If he excels in AA, he should jump right onto the fast track. Very much a pure hitter from I have been told. Stats do nothing but back that up.

Yan - His only drawback is he is repeating High A right now. He's only 21 so he still has time. He should be dominating at W-S since he is repeating it, but increasing his average over 100 points so far is impressive. He really should be in AA right now (don't get me started on Schaffer). If he continues and doesn't drop back into the .250 range then he'll have a legit shot to be a nice Major League player. He doesn't walk enough at this point to support an average in the .250 range so he'll need to keep it up.

Julio Reyes - Don't really know much about him except that he has never played more than a half season. Played only 55 games last year at Kanny. He is hitting very well right now, so I won't try to grade him.

Webster - Have never seen him, but everyone seems to rate him highly and his numbers don't make you want to think differently, so he has to be considered a legitimate top level prospect at this point.

Webster, Anthony    .318

Hate to burst your bubble, but the following guys you mentioned are not legit prospects. They are either Minor League vets or marginal prospects...

Brumbaugh - AAA/AAAA guy

Gload - AAA/AAAA guy

Miles - Still has to be considered marginal. He is doing everything he can to change that, but there will still be skepticism until he proves it in the Majors. Many guys with similar talents make it, have a colid year or two and then fade back into AAAA status. He still has a great chance and is doing exactly what he needs to do.

Alvarez - was a prospect in 97 and spent parts of 98-00 in the bigs with Detroit and San Diego.

Bikowski - Marginal. Solid average hitter with a decent amount of walks but not much power at all. He's a solid outfielder with a decent arm. Overall, his skills are good, but not great. To make it, he'll have to keep getting better and hit so well that they can't keep him down. There are lots of guys in AAA with his talents that never make it. He has a chance, but he won't be near the top of any prospect lists. He is also 26 and repeating AA which is not in his favor.

Holt - Marginal at best. He is 24 and back in Class A after AA last year. He strikes out way too much and doesn't walk much. You could say he is almost Borchard without the upside and doing it at 2 levels below.

Martel - Don't know a lot about him, but his numbers don't favor him. He's 24 and still in A ball. Has no power and doesn't look like a lot of speed. Only has 69 AB's this year, so either he is playing part-time or has been hurt.

Reed - From all indications he is the first real position player prospect on this list. He is tearing up high A in his first full professional season. He should get bumped to AA after the first half of the season. If he excels in AA, he should jump right onto the fast track. Very much a pure hitter from I have been told. Stats do nothing but back that up.

Yan - His only drawback is he is repeating High A right now. He's only 21 so he still has time. He should be dominating at W-S since he is repeating it, but increasing his average over 100 points so far is impressive. He really should be in AA right now (don't get me started on Schaffer). If he continues and doesn't drop back into the .250 range then he'll have a legit shot to be a nice Major League player. He doesn't walk enough at this point to support an average in the .250 range so he'll need to keep it up.

Julio Reyes - Don't really know much about him except that he has never played more than a half season. Played only 55 games last year at Kanny. He is hitting very well right now, so I won't try to grade him.

Webster - Have never seen him, but everyone seems to rate him highly and his numbers don't make you want to think differently, so he has to be considered a legitimate top level prospect at this point.

Have great respect for your take on the minor league scene. What you say doesn't fill my heart with hope for the future. What happened to the team that supposedly had the best farm system in the majors a few short years ago? :huh:

Have great respect for your take on the minor league scene. What you say doesn't fill my heart with hope for the future. What happened to the team that supposedly had the best farm system in the majors a few short years ago?  :huh:

Kenny f***ing Williams

Webster, Anthony    .318

This has no importance but I believe its Cliff Brumbaugh? :huh:

another person who would rather blame KW for something he didn't do.

I'd really like someone to give me a list of all these "prospects" KW cleared the organization of.

everytime someone says that and I ask, they say Wells and Fogg........and?

organizations from a farm system have their highs and lows. eventually, prospects come up and either make it or they don't. meaning you have to wait for the new cycle. our minor leagues were strong a few years back because of guys like Garland, Wells, Rauch, Barcelo, Wright and all these guys.

people act like KW dumped everyone from there.

And remember, its not just the White Sox.... you can go down the list of teams that have had "great" farm systems yet haven't produced that much talent at the Major League level. Does anyone know of a study that has done this? I'm going by memory, but my gut instinct tells me I'm right. :)

We're waiting for that next wave of players - that's why KW traded for Harris and Jimenez. Crede was our last "big" prospect that was waiting for his chance... I won't get into all the pitching arguement.

I'd really like someone to give me a list of all these "prospects" KW cleared the organization of.

organizations from a farm system have their highs and lows.  eventually, prospects come up and either make it or they don't. meaning you have to wait for the new cycle.  our minor leagues were strong a few years back because of guys like Garland, Wells, Rauch, Barcelo, Wright and all these guys.

The best farm system is no longer the best for several reasons:

1. Trades

2. Graduation to the Majors

3. Injuries

4. Failed Expectations (or slowed down progress)

All of these along with luck (good and bad) affect every club. The Sox haven't had the best luck lately, nor have they had top 5 picks either. Remember, they loaded up on prospects when they had bunches of extra draft picks (99, I believe) because of the loss of guys to free agency (Ventura, etc.). The last few years they have had one pick per round. It is much more difficult to be good with less margin for error because of fewer picks.

organizations from a farm system have their highs and lows.  eventually, prospects come up and either make it or they don't. meaning you have to wait for the new cycle.  our minor leagues were strong a few years back because of guys like Garland, Wells, Rauch, Barcelo, Wright and all these guys.

The best farm system is no longer the best for several reasons:

1. Trades

2. Graduation to the Majors

3. Injuries

4. Failed Expectations (or slowed down progress)

All of these along with luck (good and bad) affect every club. The Sox haven't had the best luck lately, nor have they had top 5 picks either. Remember, they loaded up on prospects when they had bunches of extra draft picks (99, I believe) because of the loss of guys to free agency (Ventura, etc.). The last few years they have had one pick per round. It is much more difficult to be good with less margin for error because of fewer picks.

On the low draft picks part we are the ONLY team who has not had a top ten draft pick in the last 13 years!

To those who responded to my original comments in this thread, please note that it was the most elementary form of analysis, but now I know a bit more about these guys than I did before. Thanks.

Having said that, if Brumbaugh and/or Miles keep stinging the ball in the next three months, I would still like to see them in Chicago in September.

No on Brumbaugh, he should not take up a 40-man roster spot, I saw 1 week of spring training and he was not much of a hitter or outfielder, not if we have to cut someone off roster for him. He is a AAA or AAAA player and thats too bad, but the way it is.

Off the top of my head, here are the Sox ml prospects I give a s*** about/have serious ML potential:

-Ring

-Rauch

-Diaz/Pacheco/Ginter/Munoz

-Borchard/Harris

-Reed/Webster

-Almonte/Yofu/Stumm

-Cotts

-Malone/Wing

-Honel

-Micah Shurnstein

As you can see, Sox are in very good shape...as long as Colon, Burly, Maggs, Konerko, Lee, Olivo, Garland, Wright, Marte, Wunsht, Koch, Gordon, Valentin, Graffanino, Loaiza, Crede do their part, that is.

Since I don't give a fllying f*** about Charlotte, Birmigham, Winston-Sale, etc and their records, 95% of junk that constitues "farm depth" simply does not matter .

Who cares what BA or ESPN farm analysts think. Even with Barcelo ruined and Fogg/Wells lost, Sox will be fine.

Good list, pretty accurate, not so sure about Malone anymore.

Here is a few I would add, most of them low A ball or rookie league, so a ways to go.

Ryan Meaux a LH reliever at Win-Sal. CF Mike Spidale, 2B Ruddy Yan, 3B John Lackaff, SS Mike Morse.

Rick Hummel, closer for Kannapolis. Other relievers at Kannapolis Julio Castro, Ryan Rupe and Todd Deininger. Starters at Kannapolis, Brian Miller and BJ Lamura. 3B Ed Varela. SS Andy Gonzalez.

Expected to start at Bristol: Daniel Haigwood, Ryan Rodrigues, Dario Mota and Brandon McCarthy. 1Bman Brandon Bounds.

Webster, Anthony    .318

Brumbaugh - AAA/AAAA guy

Gload - AAA/AAAA guy

This is a very good analysis of that list. Reed and Webster are the only two legit prospects on that list; Yan and Holt are marginal.