ESPN "comedy"

The Critic

Well, the smart-asses on SportsCenter have struck again. Playing off of Magglio's "we stink" comment, they showed the highlights of last night's game with a Sox "Stink-O-Meter" in the lower right corner of the screen. When Jimenez tried to stretch a single into a double, the Stink-O-Meter went higher. Of course, the Sox played well last night, so the stupid little segment lost a little of its intended comedic punch. It really wasn't very funny.

In my opinion, they're really trying too hard on SportsCenter lately. It's starting to look more like a bad sketch comedy show than a sports recap program. I have no problem with smart-ass jokes about sports, but at least make it funny...

Well, the smart-asses on SportsCenter have struck again. Playing off of Magglio's "we stink" comment, they showed the highlights of last night's game with a Sox "Stink-O-Meter" in the lower right corner of the screen. When Jimenez tried to stretch a single into a double, the Stink-O-Meter went higher. Of course, the Sox played well last night, so the stupid little segment lost a little of its intended comedic punch. It really wasn't very funny.

In my opinion, they're really trying too hard on SportsCenter lately. It's starting to look more like a bad sketch comedy show than a sports recap program. I have no problem with smart-ass jokes about sports, but at least make it funny...

Haha, we fired that one right back at em, didnt we? :lol:

I missed the SportsCenter gag, but ESPN Baseball Tonight was much kinder. Peter Gammons said the most important thing he saw last night was Garland's victory. He said that with Colon and Buerhle pitching good (don't forget Loaiza Petie!) Garland stepping up like he did was big. He said the Sox can still turn it around.

i think baseball tonite has become a joke. i can barely watch it any more. whatever happened to going through the games one at a time, showing important plays throughout the game and then ending each game with showing the box score.

i used to love watching either sportcenter or bb2nite if i missed the sox game, they would almost give you like a compact version of what happened, lead changes, great plays, and you wouldn't know who won the game til the end of that games segment, very suspenseful like.

now they just zip through games as fast as they can so they can get to thier funny quips as quasi-analytical thoughts, dibble gets especiallly on my nerves. hey rob, pat riley called, he wants his hairstlye back. all bb2nite is good for is seeing who hit a home run even if it's for the losing team and was meaningless, but hey fans like the longball!! whatever.

edit to add: am i alone in hating the bottom line during sportcenter and bb2nite?

I think that BB2Night has a new format that's for sure. I am not so sure that I like it either. They do spend a lot of time trying to be funny and the banter between Harold reynolds and Bobby Valentine gets on my nerves. But, I don't get much more than that to watch other than Sportscenter.

I missed the SportsCenter gag, but ESPN Baseball Tonight was much kinder. Peter Gammons said the most important thing he saw last night was Garland's victory. He said that with Colon and Buerhle pitching good (don't forget Loaiza Petie!) Garland stepping up like he did was big. He said the Sox can still turn it around.

I think he said something to the extent of "After both Buehrle and Colon pitched well and lost, this win by Garland was huge."

That's why he left out Loaiza. Loaiza pitches tonight.

I have to dissent and admit that I found the "stink o meter" kind of funny. Especially since Maggs sit a bomb later in the game, I think it was understood to just be a joke.

I do agree with all the comments on SportsCenter and Baseball Tonight... I used to cream myself when I heard the Baseball Tonight theme, now I look for something else on or try to find highlights somewhere else. Who wants to listen to Harold Reynolds or Bobby Valentine? Ugh.

I have to dissent and admit that I found the "stink o meter" kind of funny.  Especially since Maggs sit a bomb later in the game, I think it was understood to just be a joke. 

I do agree with all the comments on SportsCenter and Baseball Tonight... I used to cream myself when I heard the Baseball Tonight theme, now I look for something else on or try to find highlights somewhere else.  Who wants to listen to Harold Reynolds or Bobby Valentine?  Ugh.

Just wondering....

Do you have a mute button on your remote control? I do.

Besides....if I want White Sox highlights....I HAVE to watch baseball tonight. If I turn the channel...with my luck(which has been pretty damn good tonight :D )....I'll miss the Sox highlights.

What really gets me in a s***hole real f***ing quick is when I watch baseball tonight waiting for Sox highlights, and then they never show them...either they don't even mention the game, or they just show the boxscore. I just want to put my f***ing fist through my TV.

I apparently don't mind the talking and "analyzing"(or whatever you want to call it) as much as some do....however, what that show should do is show an in-depth highlight of the games of the day, instead of just analyzing s***. With the internet, people can just go to espn.com and read all of the s*** they talk about and more. Maybe bring up a point or two about something(like the most important things of the night at the end....that is kind of neat). Doing an analysis after every f***ing highlight is goddamn bulls***. If that's what pisses people off...then I'm in the majority.

FSN needs to just to a baseball highlight show. They never do that anymore. All they ever do is have shows about sports(and that's not always true...the BDSSP isn't always about sports....Snoop Dogg as a guest? Please...), and they don't have any shows about sports highlights...or atleast not with my FSN.

Those are the only places I get sports highlights. I never did see Borchard's huge bomb from the other night.

I think he said something to the extent of "After both Buehrle and Colon pitched well and lost, this win by Garland was huge."

That's why he left out Loaiza.  Loaiza pitches tonight.

Speaking of Loaiza..Has Loaiza always had that wind up he does before delivering the pitch? I could swear he didn't use that delivery when he was with the Jays.

But I think I'm just thinking to much

I'll take a "stink-o-meter" over a "Shawon-o-meter" any day :D

I think the stink-o-meter on ESPN is great. Gives a national audience a little perspective on how inept JR, KW, and JM are.

And since the intro of ESPN's "stink-o-meter" we're 2-0. STINK ON BABY!!!!! :headbang

Speaking of Loaiza..Has Loaiza always had that wind up he does before delivering the pitch? I could swear he didn't use that delivery when he was with the Jays.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Does anyone know if this is true?

Me personally, I have never heard specifically that they changed Estebans wind up. But what I do know is that they have changed his approach and they have added a pitch to his repotoire. So it is possible that they messed with his wind up too, as Don Cooper has put some serious work into Loiaza.

I just see sox's highlights in SCenter. That's the only way that i can watch the highlights. Baseball 2night pass on ESPN in here but it pass on 4 am :angry: . I didnt see SC yesterday because they put the tennis event in French.

Did any of you guys watch BB2nite last nite? When they got to the sox game they talked up the pitching matchup and showed Delgado's homer, then a few sox hits that looked like errors. They said Loaiza and Lidle were both having great seasons blah blah Then once they got done showing highlights BOBBY V sat there and talked about how awesome Lidle is! He didn't say one word about the guy who just beat Lidle and is the MLB era leader :bang . These guys are horrible

Did any of you guys watch BB2nite last nite?  When they got to the sox game they talked up the pitching matchup and showed Delgado's homer, then a few sox hits that looked like errors.  They said Loaiza and Lidle were both having great seasons blah blah Then once they got done showing highlights BOBBY V sat there and talked about how awesome Lidle is!  He didn't say one word about the guy who just beat Lidle and is the MLB era leader :bang .  These guys are horrible

Atleast we didn't have to hear about how the darling Twinkies won again.