High gas prices.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
How much does a gallon of E85 cost you? Just curious how it compares to regular gas.

E85 - that's the blend, right? I didn't read the article, just the snippet.

But...

It's hard to gage the impact with the overall rise in prices. Supposedly, it's adding about 10 cents on the gallon?

Chicago supposedly has had this all along for the last couple of years?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
E85 - that's the blend, right?  I didn't read the article, just the snippet.

But...

It's hard to gage the impact with the overall rise in prices.  Supposedly, it's adding about 10 cents on the gallon?

Chicago supposedly has had this all along for the last couple of years?

E85 is a newer blend that they're building cars to be able to run on. That blend is 85% eth, either by weight or by volume, I'm not sure which.

The stuff which is adding $.10 or so per gallon is mandates to run on something like E10, a blend of 10% ethanol. As I understand it, Congress last year passed a mandate forcing almost everywhere to start running on E10, which, given that many places are far away from ethanol refineries and didn't have supplies of the stuff beforehand, has raised the prices somewhat, since they need to find suppliers & add in the transport. THis is the one that I think was basically another farm subsidy.

Several major cities, like Chicago, L.A., etc, have mandated E10 blends for years, since the E10 blends are actually less polluting than straight unleaded. This is more manageable and makes more sense to me on a city-scale rather than on a nationwide scale, since with a city, you have a focused pollution source, and if you cut that pollution by 10% you make a big dent. But in the country, it's just moving around the pollution sources.

Edit: I just did a brief check. At least a couple cities are currently selling E85 for cars that can take it, and where it is being sold, it is often quite a bit cheaper than the E10 blends it competes with. On the order of $.40 a gallon cheaper in Toledo, for example. I can't wager a guess what the differece might be in CA, farther from corn growing sources, but in the midwest, E85 looks to currently have a decent price advantage. That may of course be due to corn subsidies.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 06:11 PM)
E85 is a newer blend that they're building cars to be able to run on.  That blend is 85% eth, either by weight or by volume, I'm not sure which.

The stuff which is adding $.10 or so per gallon is mandates to run on something like E10, a blend of 10% ethanol.  As I understand it, Congress last year passed a mandate forcing almost everywhere to start running on E10, which, given that many places are far away from ethanol refineries and didn't have supplies of the stuff beforehand, has raised the prices somewhat, since they need to find suppliers & add in the transport.  THis is the one that I think was basically another farm subsidy.

Several major cities, like Chicago, L.A., etc, have mandated E10 blends for years, since the E10 blends are actually less polluting than straight unleaded.  This is more manageable and makes more sense to me on a city-scale rather than on a nationwide scale, since with a city, you have a focused pollution source, and if you cut that pollution by 10% you make a big dent.  But in the country, it's just moving around the pollution sources.

oh... I misunderstood. The E10 blend is what we just started having to use, and I've seen a decrease of about 2 mpg in my explorer since the switch.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)
oh... I misunderstood.  The E10 blend is what we just started having to use, and I've seen a decrease of about 2 mpg in my explorer since the switch.

Here's a press release from back when Congress passed the E10 law last summer. 'Tis a wee bit biased (it comes from the American ethanol assoc. or something like that), but it at least tells you the numbers on what the law did in terms of mandating increased Eth. usage.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
Interesting note: You'd think that if we used American grown products to produce ethanol, it would bolster our economy and really give a kick to our farming industry. I heard a saying (I'm paraphrasing here), that as farmers go, so goes the economy. meaning, if the farmers depress, the US will depress.

To the extreme, it could also cause inflation in the price of basic foodstuffs, which would hit the poor way harder than anyone else. The saying about the farmers is from a by gone time when a thing known as the family farmer was prominent in America. These days most farms are corporations in order to compete anyway.

Ah, thank heavens the GOP Senators are rushing to the rescue. The big plan from the brain trust: Give us a hundred bucks for gas money.

Tell me again, is it an election year?? :bang

Of course that will buy about one tank of gas for an SUV. Oh, yeah, and if the bill goes through it'll also mean opening up some of ANWR. . .

But what the hell do you want, it is a hundred bucks after all. :rolly

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
Ah, thank heavens the GOP Senators are rushing to the rescue.  The big plan from the brain trust:  Give us a hundred bucks for gas money.

Tell me again, is it an election year??  :bang

Of course that will buy about one tank of gas for an SUV.  Oh, yeah, and if the bill goes through it'll also mean opening up some of ANWR. . .

But what the hell do you want, it is a hundred bucks after all.  :rolly

I agree that the $100 is STUPID. Oh boy. $200 is going to make my family a big, big deal... :rolly

Gee, we're getting closer to outright bribes to vote for a candidate.

Vote for me and I'll cut your taxes (i.e. give you money)

Vote for me and I'll give you gas money (i.e. give you money)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
Tell the wife to spit that kid out quick for the extra $100 :P

Taxpayers, not people. Maybe I can get the baby to pay some taxes right when she's born.

Speaking of which, I guess this deserves its own thread, but it getting close. About a week away, for those of you in soxtalk land that care. :)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
So do you still get the $ if you don't own a car?

Yep, as long as you are a US taxpayer. If you are 14 and don't drive you'd still get the bucks. If you are 90 years old and blind you'd still get the bucks. If you make 6 or 7 figures you'd still get the bucks because you need it so badly.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
How much does a gallon of E85 cost you? Just curious how it compares to regular gas.

Gas City is one station I know of that sells E85 and it is .20 cheaper than regular unleaded.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Gas City is one station I know of that sells E85 and it is .20 cheaper than regular unleaded.

Ok, so let's do the math....

Long DIstance Driving

$3 per gallon / 30 MPG (regular gas) = $0.10 per mile

$2.8 per gallon / 25.5 MPG (with E85) = $0.11 per mile

City Driving

$3 per gallon / 17 MPG (regular gas) = 0.176 per mile

$2.8 per gallon / 14.45 MPG (with E85) = $0.19 per mile

hmmm..... actually costs slightly more to use E85.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
Ok, so let's do the math....

Long DIstance Driving

$3 per gallon /  30 MPG (regular gas) = $0.10 per mile

$2.8 per gallon / 25.5 MPG (with E85) = $0.11 per mile

City Driving

$3 per gallon /  17 MPG (regular gas) = 0.176 per mile

$2.8 per gallon / 14.45 MPG (with E85) = $0.19 per mile

hmmm..... actually costs slightly more to use E85.

Hey, the farmers are happy. :D

• 1 month later...
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
That much of an uptick, huh? I haven't seen the Nymex boards lately. Is it that ugly?

Futures are up about 20 cents in the last week, tack on a little bit of a holiday premium and I think we are looking at somewhere between $3 and 3.10.

• 2 weeks later...