WIN TOTAL

Chisox_10

I think what we lose sight of is how good a hitting team this will be. You don't get to see that much in spring training with so many different lineups and playing so many players. So, they will score a lot of runs and will win lots of high scoring games. The pitching is a concern. But it is for every single team. I sure hope these starters can find it. I will say 88 wins.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go on record predicting 96 wins and the Central Division. I can see the Sox starting out a little rough, with the tough early schedule and all, but hitting their stride in late May or early June and roaring into the playoffs. A lot is going to depend on how consistent those flame throwers in the bullpen can be.

Right now even though I want to stay positive and say we win the division and such... I think we will be back to our mediocre ways, with a 85-77 record and a 3rd place finish behind the Tigers and Indians. But when you won the world series 2 years ago and have a payroll in the top 5 of all of baseball, you have got to do better.

I'll go with 93 wins. Think the Twins will regress big time (Unless Santana pitches like, everyday) and the Tigers will come back to the pack as well (No way Rogers duplicates last yr). The Indians' bullpen is now old and bad as opposed to bad last yr and the Royals spent 55 mil on Gil Meche. Me likey.

It is funny how the tone and outlook of the team changes so fast. This team is mainly intact from last year. 6 changes, and only 2 are considered starters.

Backup Catcher - Molina - Alomar/Widger/Stewart

CF/OF - Erstad/Anderson - Gload (Erstad replaces Anderson, and Anderson replaces Gload)

5th Starter - Danks - Garcia

RHP - Massett - B-Mac

RHP - Aardsma - Tracey/Hermie/Politte/Nelson

LHP - Sisco - Cotts

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:42 AM)
There are still a couple major pieces up in the air - last bullpen spots, and starting CF. And those might make a significant difference. At least they picked the right 5h starter.

So, giving some play for those open decisions, and assuming the team stays relatively healthy...

90 to 95.

That will probably make the playoffs, but it will be hotly contested.

OK, the pieces are no longer in the air, and now we have Hall injured. I'll modify my guess a bit, to...

87 to 92

I don't think that Hall's absence will be gigantic IF its just April, and he (or some FA) returns for May. Maybe a game at worst. Erstad over BA in CF, if that lasts the season, will result in a couple losses, though. Plus Sisco is likely to be a lot worse than Logan would have been, so that's a game or two. I'd say all those things together drops 4 to 5 games. I do feel a little better now about the pen outside of Sisco, though, and Gooch is hitting 2nd more often now, so that's a small boost.

If its 87 wins, probably no playoffs. 92 wins, maybe playoffs, but not likely the division crown (I wouldn't give the wildcard to the AL East just yet). The biggest key is still the starting pitching.