2008 AL Central Catch-All Thread

knightni

Tiger fans celebrate..

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../805010385/1004

NEW YORK -- Thirteen into 12 didn't fit. Someone on the Tigers had to go to make room for hotshot right-hander Francisco Cruceta.

On Wednesday, before the Tigers' game against the Yankees, that someone turned out to be relief pitcher Jason Grilli.

In a deal that keeps him in the majors and gives the Tigers a deep-minors prospect in return, the Tigers traded Grilli to the Colorado Rockies for 22-year-old Zach Simons, the Rockies' second-round draft choice in 2005.

Advertisement

Cruceta has had three outings at Triple-A Toledo ranging from good to outstanding after missing all of spring training because of visa problems. He will join the Tigers today.

"We're excited about that," Tigers president and general manager Dave Dombrowski said. "He's been throwing the ball very well."

Simons will report to Class A Lakeland. In seven appearances this year for the Class A Modesto Nuts, he's 1-0 with a 2.70 ERA, 14 strikeouts and nine walks in 13 1/3 innings.

Aware Cruceta was pitching well at Toledo, and that one of the Tigers' 12 pitchers would have to be subtracted, Grilli knew he was vulnerable.

In fact, he knew something could happen at any time and with so many other Tigers throwing as well or better, Grilli also could do the math. It was going to be him.

The worst-case scenario would have been for the Tigers to designate him for assignment. The best-case scenario happened instead. He goes from one major league team to another.

Often a target of boos at Comerica Park, Grilli was into his fourth season as a Tiger. At his best, he was efficient at stranding inherited runners. At his worst, as happened against the White Sox earlier this season, he simply got lit up.

But he leaves with the thought he pitched well.

"I think I did a good job for what my role was," he said. "I know a lot of people would think differently, but to those people, I'm going to say thank you as well, because I'm a bigger person than people who don't like the way my eyebrows are on my face or the way I pitch.

"We're criticized. We're in the limelight. We're public figures. The one thing I had against some Tigers' fans is that they should be pulling for their team, no matter what. I didn't think that was always there, but I definitely enjoyed pitching for the Tigers, whether I got cheered or booed.

"What stung me the hardest is that maybe I was a lightning rod on this team. I surely wasn't cheered as much for the role I was given. But heck, I held 70 percent of inherited runners twice. That was my job."

One of the reasons Grilli enjoyed it was because his father, Steve, also pitched for the Tigers and they both had worn No. 49. He said he hopes to continue wearing that number "wherever I am."

Grilli will return to Detroit, however. The Rockies come to Comerica Park for a series in late June and a Detroit-Colorado matchup in the World Series isn't out the question.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2008 -> 07:37 PM)
Carlos Gomez was hit in the head with a ball stealing 2B. He's been on the ground for quite a while now. It looked like it hit right around his ear on his helmet, so I'm hopeful he's OK, but we'll see.

moving his legs and arms a little bit, but they have the golf cart out there and they're going to carry him off the field...sitting up eyes open, but he looked completely out of it.

I've never really seen a concussed person, but if I had, I'd imagine that's about what one would look like. He seriously looked like he just woke up from a 9-hour sleep.

Edited by witesoxfan

I guess he is all right. From report I heard on the radio during the game, the ball hit him in the helmet, but his head also hit the knee of the player covering second base.

I hope he isn't hurt so he has to sit out the weekend. Im going to the game on Sunday and want to see how fast he is in real life!

QUOTE (Brian @ May 7, 2008 -> 07:48 PM)
Cliff Lee goes 7 scoreless against the Yanks. ERA is a rather impressive .081

if it werent for a meaningless 3 run homer by the mariners, I believe his era would be 0.20 through 44.1 innings.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 8, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
if it werent for a meaningless 3 run homer by the mariners, I believe his era would be 0.20 through 44.1 innings.

That's an odd statement. It was still a 3 run homer that counts against his ERA. I mean, for every pitcher in baseball you could make points like this.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 8, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)

That's an odd statement. It was still a 3 run homer that counts against his ERA. I mean, for every pitcher in baseball you could make points like this.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 8, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)

it just stands out because that is 75% of his earned runs. The indians were aready up 8-0 in the 7th when it happened.

btw, I just tried trading cliff lee to just about every GM in my fantasy league lol

hopefully, pujols, M. Cabrera(not likely) howard (maybe) or berkman (90% chance no) might come my way straight up for Cliff. Buy low, sell high!

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 8, 2008 -> 11:21 AM)
it just stands out because that is 75% of his earned runs. The indians were aready up 8-0 in the 7th when it happened.

btw, I just tried trading cliff lee to just about every GM in my fantasy league lol

hopefully, pujols, M. Cabrera(not likely) howard (maybe) or berkman (90% chance no) might come my way straight up for Cliff. Buy low, sell high!

You could possibly get Howard if you included a halfway decent 1B going his way. It's a good move.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 8, 2008 -> 12:36 PM)
You could possibly get Howard if you included a halfway decent 1B going his way. It's a good move.

I revised every deal to include Mike Jacobs from my end. I will keep faith in Howard until at least July.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 9, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
Delmon Young seems to have lost some bat speed, resulting in less contact...

Delmon Young has lost some power...

It couldn't have happened to a better team.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 9, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)
Delmon Young seems to have lost some bat speed, resulting in less contact...

Delmon Young has lost some power...

LOL, reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from the show "The Tick"

Losing Speed! Losing Interest! Losing......conciousness.....zzzzzzzzz

According to general manager Bill Smith, Pat Neshek is expected to miss at least three months and may be sidelined for the remainder of the season with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament.

Smith said that Neshek won't be allowed to throw for at least three months and added that getting him healthy in time for spring training is the Twins' current goal. Losing Neshek is a huge blow to the Twins' bullpen, as he's gone 11-5 with a 2.91 ERA and 142/37 K/BB ratio in 120 2/3 career innings. Matt Guerrier and Juan Rincon will split setup duties in front of Joe Nathan.

QUOTE (Brian @ May 9, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
According to general manager Bill Smith, Pat Neshek is expected to miss at least three months and may be sidelined for the remainder of the season with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament.

Smith said that Neshek won't be allowed to throw for at least three months and added that getting him healthy in time for spring training is the Twins' current goal. Losing Neshek is a huge blow to the Twins' bullpen, as he's gone 11-5 with a 2.91 ERA and 142/37 K/BB ratio in 120 2/3 career innings. Matt Guerrier and Juan Rincon will split setup duties in front of Joe Nathan.

Sad to see, but not surprising. All of us in the gamethread at the time the injury occured kind of figured it was really bad based on the looks of it, and unfortunately we were right.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 9, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
TRAVIS HAFNER - what gives? Is this guy just slumping or did he have a fluke season?

Pronk appears to be one of many victims of the tough and somewhat legit drug testing policies instituted by major league baseball in the last few years. Just doesn't have that extra "juice" off the bat. He needs to call Geovany Soto and ask for some of his HGH.

Edited by whitesoxfan101