Workout Tips & Tricks

Texsox

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ May 20, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
I remember reading somewhere that you should work your shoulders from back to front. In other words, do the rear head, then the middle and the front head last. Does anyone know why this is recommended?

I'd like to hear the "why" on that as well, since I had a shoulder issue and surgery a few years ago that may have been caused by bad weightlifting technique (my thoery is doing bench press all the way to chest bounce, and lat pull-downs behind the neck).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
I'd like to hear the "why" on that as well, since I had a shoulder issue and surgery a few years ago that may have been caused by bad weightlifting technique (my thoery is doing bench press all the way to chest bounce, and lat pull-downs behind the neck).

Lat pull down behind neck, bad.

There is nothing wrong with bringing the bar down to your chest when you bench press, you want a full range of motion. Bouncing it however, is cheating.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:03 AM)

There is nothing wrong with bringing the bar down to your chest when you bench press, you want a full range of motion. Bouncing it however, is cheating.

It's also very dangerous -- as your sternum isn't meant to act like a spring.

I've been going to the gym for years, and studied a lot on proper technique, and I'm amazed by how many people do almost every exercise improperly -- including personal trainers who should know better.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ May 22, 2009 -> 01:03 AM)

I've now been told by a doctor, multiple physical therapists and trainers that any press (bench, incline, decline, military) should only be done to the point where your upper arms are level from the shoulder - no lower. Lower increases risk of shoulder injuries dramtically, they say.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2009 -> 08:08 AM)
I've now been told by a doctor, multiple physical therapists and trainers that any press (bench, incline, decline, military) should only be done to the point where your upper arms are level from the shoulder - no lower. Lower increases risk of shoulder injuries dramtically, they say.

Right, due to my shoulder issues from vball when I was younger, I aim for about a 90 degree angle of my elbow and then go back up. I will dip below that if I am loose, but wont go to my chest.

That's interesting, I find that from my chest to about halfway up really stresses my chest and the top half stresses my triceps. I sometines bench and push the bar only halfway up and then back down to my chest. As long as my grip is wide enough, it doesn't hurt my shoulders at all.

I'm very lucky with bench, I prefer inclined, but with bells and bar I get a good lift all the way through with very little to no aches or uncomfortable stress.

I have been getting some wrist pain, but I was going heavy for awhile and have pulled back, which has helped my wrists and my overall workout.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 20, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)

The "why" to start at the back is two fold.

1) Most people have a flexed, rounded shoulder posture. If you start with the back you tend to straighten up more for good technique

2) Most people worry more about the anterior muscles (biceps, pecs, ant. deltoid) and skip the posterior muscles, which are more important for reason #1.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2009 -> 08:08 AM)

The reason that the pull downs behind the head and lowering the bar are bad is that both put a great deal of stress on the anterior joint capsule of the shoulder. This part of the shoulder is the weakest part to start with and once it "loosens" the rotator cuff comes under stress to "stabilize" the joint.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ May 29, 2009 -> 11:14 PM)
Shrugs are for building traps, but do they help build a strong neck too? Does anyone use the neck machine?

The traps do go up the back of the neck. They are the thick muscles you feel when you put your hand on the back of your neck. They do not help the sides of the neck, these are primarily the scalenes. The only way to strengthen those is by sudebending your head. This really isn't advisable unless you are a bodybuilder as the exercises put a great deal of stress on the discs in your neck.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 31, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
The traps do go up the back of the neck. They are the thick muscles you feel when you put your hand on the back of your neck. They do not help the sides of the neck, these are primarily the scalenes. The only way to strengthen those is by sudebending your head. This really isn't advisable unless you are a bodybuilder as the exercises put a great deal of stress on the discs in your neck.

Since we're on the subject, I have the problem of occasionally pulling muscles in those areas, side of my neck, etc. Happens randomly, last time I was sitting around basically doing nothing when my neck started to hurt. Goes away after a day or two, but I keep wondering why I'm doing it or if there's anything that can be done to avoid it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2009 -> 06:44 PM)
Since we're on the subject, I have the problem of occasionally pulling muscles in those areas, side of my neck, etc. Happens randomly, last time I was sitting around basically doing nothing when my neck started to hurt. Goes away after a day or two, but I keep wondering why I'm doing it or if there's anything that can be done to avoid it.

Take your right arm and place it behind your back and grab your right hand with your left hand and your left arm should be out like a chicken wing. Now roll your head to the left and you should feel the stretch in the right side of your neck. Now repeat with the other side. Do this before any shoulder, back, chest workout.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ May 29, 2009 -> 11:14 PM)
Shrugs are for building traps, but do they help build a strong neck too? Does anyone use the neck machine?

Also, if you do decide to do shoulder shrugs -- do NOT roll your shoulders thinking it will target more muscle area, it won't. A proper shrug is straight up, straight down -- NO rolling...which almost every idiot in the gym does.

Rolling shrugs can fray up your rotator cuff, and add nothing to the shrug exercise itself. If you want to work out your traps, I recommend doing upright rows.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 31, 2009 -> 08:05 PM)
Take your right arm and place it behind your back and grab your right hand with your left hand and your left arm should be out like a chicken wing. Now roll your head to the left and you should feel the stretch in the right side of your neck. Now repeat with the other side. Do this before any shoulder, back, chest workout.

This is pretty good. However sometimes the excess internal and external rotation of the arms behind your back can cause shoulder discomfort depending on how flexible the persin is.

Another stretch would be to sit in a chair and hold onto the edge of a chair with the hand of the isde you wish tostretch. Lean the opposite way to stabilize the should. Take your opposite hand and gently sidebend your head away from the sore side to feel the stretch. The key is to stacilize the lower end of the muscle and strech the upper end.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2009 -> 06:44 PM)

Usually something like this that is re-occurring comes from a postural problem. The scalene muscle mentioned before sidebend the neck to the same side as the muscle and flex the neck. Most people have a forward or flexed neck posture especially those who spend a great deal of time on the computer. The best way to prevent this is to keep your neck and head in a better posture. Concentrate on keeping your chin tucked back into your neck. Not tipped down like you are looking down but slide your chin back like a drawar. Another way is squeeze your shoulder baldes together every 10 15 minutes. You cannot keep your head forward while your scapulae are pulled back.

the stretch mention in the previous posts will work to loosen the muscles as well however build ing the strength to maintain the good poture is the key to preventing it from recurring.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 1, 2009 -> 08:10 AM)
Also, if you do decide to do shoulder shrugs -- do NOT roll your shoulders thinking it will target more muscle area, it won't. A proper shrug is straight up, straight down -- NO rolling...which almost every idiot in the gym does.

Rolling shrugs can fray up your rotator cuff, and add nothing to the shrug exercise itself. If you want to work out your traps, I recommend doing upright rows.

Yep, I never roll and I always use dumbells held right at each side. Using a barbell changes my grip and puts a wierd strain on my pecs, not to mention the bar rolls over my junk, no good.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 22, 2009 -> 04:48 PM)
Right, due to my shoulder issues from vball when I was younger, I aim for about a 90 degree angle of my elbow and then go back up. I will dip below that if I am loose, but wont go to my chest.

You played volleyball when you were younger? I'm 19, played all my life, and my shoulder is an absolute wreck.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)
You played volleyball when you were younger? I'm 19, played all my life, and my shoulder is an absolute wreck.

I suggest that anyone who pitches/plays Vball do exercises to strengthen their rotator cuff, this is especially important on the arm you use to pitch or spike. The exercises are simple (you can look up a few on the net), and all you have to do is us a 2.5-5lb weight to do them.

Some people are built to withstand more punishment on their rotator cuffs than others, but exercising them can seriously help big time -- and I'd have to say 99% of the people I see training never do these simple exercises.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 8, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)

Oh yeah, i still play competitively now, but the strain of playing year round and in tourney's like JO's where you played tons of matches a day completely destroyed my shoulder. I will say though that i played at a high enough level that I played with a few national champs and even a couple of olympians before I stopped my rise. Now I am pretty much just a good setter that can block, I stay far away from swinging more than 10-15 times a match.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
I suggest that anyone who pitches/plays Vball do exercises to strengthen their rotator cuff, this is especially important on the arm you use to pitch or spike. The exercises are simple (you can look up a few on the net), and all you have to do is us a 2.5-5lb weight to do them.

Some people are built to withstand more punishment on their rotator cuffs than others, but exercising them can seriously help big time -- and I'd have to say 99% of the people I see training never do these simple exercises.

Yeah, I've been exercising my shoulder since I've been 15. I've been able to keep the pain low enough where I can keep playing competitively but I figure it's going to eventually get pretty bad. Hopefully not though.

Rock, where'd you play your club ball at?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)
Yeah, I've been exercising my shoulder since I've been 15. I've been able to keep the pain low enough where I can keep playing competitively but I figure it's going to eventually get pretty bad. Hopefully not though.

Rock, where'd you play your club ball at?

I played for SPRI, Second City and Flyers.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 11, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)
Hill running is a great workout, started doing it a few weeks ago and it kicks your ass

Just be careful on how hard you run on the way down. I did too much too soon and got popliteal tendonitis in the back of my knee. It put me out for 4 months. I missed a marathon due to it.

Edited by ptatc