• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StrangeSox

• Balta1701

• lostfan

• BigSqwert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
The Patriot Act extension failed last night, with 277 in favor and 148 against. It was brought under a rule which would not allow amendments, but passing it under that rule required a 2/3 majority vote, hence the failure. 122 of those voting against were Democrats.

Another bill, which would extend a program that helps re-educate laid off workers, was coming up for renewal yesterday under the same House rule. The leadership pulled that bill from the floor after realizing it too would fail to pass under the rules suspension.

That's not auspicious work on the part of the leadership/whips.

One of the top Republicans in the Senate, John Kyl (R-AZ) will not run for re-election in 2010. This sets up a leadership fight; he's the #3 Repub in the Senate and people will want that job. Jim DeMint is probably a good bet.

In terms of who will run...it's already being whispered that one "Rep. Gabrielle Giffords" has the right of first refusal.

So, the US Chamber hired private security firms to damage anti-Chamber and progressive groups, basically by lying and spreading as much misinformation as possible.

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/02/10/lobbyists-chamberleaks/

screenshotfixed.jpg

I'm glad Obama was friendly with them and pointed out how they want America to succeed, too!

Edited by StrangeSox

Worth posting this for future notes, since everyone in this thread is probably used to discounting Fox News polling.

NATIONAL (FOX NEWS): Fox News has taken the intriguing step (and, it is rare for me to say this, but kudos to them) of changing their polling unit. They have gone to (as NBC has done for years) a pairing of a GOP and Democratic pollster to collaborate on their surveys. They also, for the first time, are including cell phone respondents to their sample. The results, at least in the first go-round, are enough to send any Fox News viewer screaming for the House of Ras. According to their first presidential poll in the new setup, Democratic President Barack Obama enjoys a lead ranging from 7-21 points over his most likely GOP challengers. As with other polls we have seen, Mitt Romney comes the closest (48-41), with Sarah Palin trailing by the most (56-35). Mike Huckabee (49-41) and Newt Gingrich (55-35) fall in-between. The new crew at Fox News also found President Obama with a reasonably affirmative 51/43 approval spread.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
Sorry. I will start PMing you with the contents of each proposed post I want to make for your clearance.

I didn't say to not make the post, I was simply pointing out that the first few were funny, and now they're just as stupid as the people spreading them around. So I guess, in a way, I called you a stupid. :)

Jump the Shark = reached climax...and downhill from here.

Those have been going downhill for well over a week now, and that link illustrates what I mean, perfectly.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
I didn't say to not make the post, I was simply pointing out that the first few were funny, and now they're just as stupid as the people spreading them around. So I guess, in a way, I called you a stupid. :)

Jump the Shark = reached climax...and downhill from here.

Those have been going downhill for well over a week now, and that link illustrates what I mean, perfectly.

I am well aware of what Jumped the Shark means, smart ass.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
I am well aware of what Jumped the Shark means, smart ass.

Just in case you don't know what Jumping the Shark means: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDthMGtZKa4

Cuz, you never know...well, I should say I never know...you're a plant eating Android user, usually takes you guys a while to catch on...

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 12:36 PM)
BS, I had not seen that before. Thank you for your post, it has brightened my day.

Do you live under a rock? I've seen nothing BUT those images all over the place for over a week now.

I'm not going to get through the full thing today, but here's a "small-book sized" version of 10 essays on the Pentagon budget.

Good timing since the President's budget is out today.

In fighters, the effect of high cost and the associated burden of high maintenance

downtime are equally obvious. The F-22 costs 10 times as much as an early

model F-16 fighter and, due to its huge maintenance load, can fly only half as

many sorties per day. Thus, for equal investment, the F-22 delivers only onetwentieth

as many airplanes over enemy territory as the F-16 a crippling

disadvantage, no matter whether the F-22’s stealth and weapons work or don’t

work.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
I'm not going to get through the full thing today, but here's a "small-book sized" version of 10 essays on the Pentagon budget.

Good timing since the President's budget is out today.

That's full of s***. You cannot even compare the two like they are trying to, for many, many reasons. It's an apple to oranges comparison. However, I'm sure you know ALL about it, so I won't bother explaining it because no matter how or what I say (even when it's my job to know), you'll know better.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 11:19 PM)
That's full of s***. You cannot even compare the two like they are trying to, for many, many reasons. It's an apple to oranges comparison. However, I'm sure you know ALL about it, so I won't bother explaining it because no matter how or what I say (even when it's my job to know), you'll know better.

Edit: you know what, I'm going to take a different track with this. Forget previous post, I'm just going to stop being the one feeding the troll.

I read about this first and figured "oh, that's just another attempt to make a statement by introducing a bill that will never actually come up for consideration anywhere. It's insane."

Then I learned it had already passed a committee.

A law under consideration in South Dakota would expand the definition of "justifiable homicide" to include killings that are intended to prevent harm to a fetus—a move that could make it legal to kill doctors who perform abortions. The Republican-backed legislation, House Bill 1171, has passed out of committee on a nine-to-three party-line vote, and is expected to face a floor vote in the state's GOP-dominated House of Representatives soon.

The bill, sponsored by state Rep. Phil Jensen, a committed foe of abortion rights, alters the state's legal definition of justifiable homicide by adding language stating that a homicide is permissible if committed by a person "while resisting an attempt to harm" that person's unborn child or the unborn child of that person's spouse, partner, parent, or child. If the bill passes, it could in theory allow a woman's father, mother, son, daughter, or husband to kill anyone who tried to provide that woman an abortion—even if she wanted one.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)

Why can't you compare the two?

I've read about half of the essays. A driving point is that the per-unit cost of weapons systems keeps rising, but the force-multiplication factor doesn't keep up. So we've an ever-widening gap for replacement costs which can only be made up by rapidly expanding defense budgets. There's also the problems of relying on ever-more complex systems and what that means if those systems break down or malfunction. And, of course, if all of the hype surrounding the latest whiz-bang weapons systems is really to be believed. Is the F-22 a great plane? Probably. Is it the unstoppable domination machine we need to spend billions upon billions on to get a relatively small number versus buying a larger number of still-very-good-but-not-as-great planes?