2008 White Sox = Failure

joejoesox

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 03:27 AM)
Let me guess, you're wearing your "This thing isn't over" hat aren't you?

It's still not. Like I said earlier, don't be an ass to people who disagree with you (not a personal attack, just some friendly advice from someone who's been through it once or twice).

The season has had some real bright spots but over the course of the year we've had some glaring weaknesses, and they were exploited real bad in these 3 games. Had there been more just a bit more consistency with the bats or not have the bullpen suck balls for 2 months, the division is signed and sealed weeks ago.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)
The season is a failure if you don't win the World Series. It just is.

However, there was a ton of productive things to emerge this season. I know idiots are going to say to say the whole team needs to be blown up, rebuilt, whatever, but if the Sox win 2 games up here, none of that is said. You are really basing a 5+ year plan around 2 lost games? It's dumb.

There are major holes on the team. They need to be addressed. I trust Williams to get it done.

Couldn't agree with you more. The whole Quentin injury pretty much derailed the season. With him healthy for the month of September, I think the Sox win the division by 5+ games. Need to get a better mix of guys on the club who don't totally rely on the home run.

QUOTE (DonkeyKongerko @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 10:42 PM)
Quentin and Alexei were hardly a thought in March and April. Kenny got lucky twice and it will probably save his job. Just really hard right now to see us changing much in a single offseason. Konerko and Thome can't both stay imo.

As much as I like Konerko, I think it is time for him to fly.

QUOTE (CarlosMartinez @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 11:31 PM)
God I want to puke. We lead the division for 3/4 of the year to puss out at the end like this?? Maybe it's better to not make the playoffs because these past 3 days have been the hardest 3 games of baseball to watch in some time.

I bet it was closer to 4/5 of the year, sadly.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 03:43 AM)
The Sox lost there hitting and pitching MVP for large chunks of the season this year. Being a 72-90 team last season, if this squad was going to compete(which it did) it was going to be a thin club, which it is. It would be hard for any team to recover from those losses, but it's devastating for a thin team like the Sox.

The core of this team is still strong. It's older, but not old. The team needs more balance around our power core. It's a pretty simple concept. Again, I trust Williams can get the job done.

Not to sound like SSI, but I think it's time for Walker to go.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 04:50 AM)
I really have a hard time blaming the coaching staff. I am really torn as a Sox fan right now. I really am impressed with what Williams did this off-season after a terrible year, but at the same time, the team is one of the most one dimensional teams I have ever seen watching baseball.

Walker coaches these guys to not only play to their strengths, but to the ballparks strength. It just so happens most of the lineups strength is built around an all or nothing approach. As I have said, the Sox need some different style hitters to mold around the power.

We've seen the offense just fall off the table in 4 straight seasons now after the ASB. Let's go get Roberts and Figgins this offseason, and take it from there.

QUOTE (goAlexei!! @ Sep 26, 2008 -> 03:58 AM)
To be perfectly honest I would prefer to be out of it all season than to go out this pathetic way. To be blunt firings must occur. I don't know of who but this is just unacceptable.

Screw that, last season sucked. I was more interested in Brewers games than Sox games for the last two months of the season.

Considering we were expected to finish fourth in the division, I would hardly call the season a failure. Now these past three games were definitely a failure and that's putting it nicely.

So choking the away the division because some nitwit ESPN writers thought we would be bad is a worthy second place prize? Don't think so. What does that say about the GM and management if their $100+ million is expected to finish 4th?

I'd be willing to excuse the Sox for 2007 if they did something this year, but it's not looking good.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
We've seen the offense just fall off the table in 4 straight seasons now after the ASB. Let's go get Roberts and Figgins this offseason, and take it from there.

That's what happens when half your order, and the top half at that, is 35 year old guys that just try to hit home runs...

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
Let me guess, you're wearing your "This thing isn't over" hat aren't you?

no, but im not going to overreact and throw a hissy fit over a team, who was supposed to be s***, fall off due to injuries. You can say "oh f*** injuries" all you want, but no team is going to be the same when you lose an MVP, both all-stars, a starter, and 2/3 of the solid bulpen staff. Injuries like those are not excuses, they are explanations IMO.

QUOTE (goAlexei!! @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 09:58 PM)
To be perfectly honest I would prefer to be out of it all season than to go out this pathetic way. To be blunt firings must occur. I don't know of who but this is just unacceptable.

Well then you suck as a fan. Switch over to the Pirates if you want to watch that kind of baseball.

QUOTE (aboz56 @ Sep 25, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)
Considering we were expected to finish fourth in the division, I would hardly call the season a failure. Now these past three games were definitely a failure and that's putting it nicely.

I have nothing against you, aboz, but I hate that way of thinking.