Peavy Rejects Sox Offer; Deal Now Dead

rokimar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
Someone is smokin some good stuff over on that Padres board lol

Originally Posted by PadreFanForever

I'm hearing it could be Peavy for Aaron Poreda, Alexi Rameriz, Clayton Richard, and someone like Jermaine Dye ( god I hope not ), John Danks or Tyler Flowers ( yes please )

Only Jermaine Dye? Thank god I heard we were throwing in Carlos Quentin.

QUOTE (JoeCredeYes @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:34 AM)
Anybody think they are waiting for the game to announce that the deal is done? Would add some dramatic flair, not sure how packed the place is going to be for a day game however.

I think they are waiting for all of us to lose our minds.

if we don't give up any of our position prospects ....i'll be pretty excited....unless its Poreda, Richard, Hudson and Infante......

Part of me thinks hudson could be in the deal, which is why its PTBNL because he, like beckham was drafted last year and can't be traded until 1 year after the draft, correct?

Anybody think they are waiting for the game to announce that the deal is done? Would add some dramatic flair, not sure how packed the place is going to be for a day game however.

Doubt there would be a lot of fans in the first place. Weekday afternoon games usually don't draw well. However, with the Peavy trade and waiting for him to decide, there could be a few more walk ups than usual. However, I wouldn't expect it to be packed.

I'm sure they if he accepts they will let the info out ASAP. It should spur some ticket sales.

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:36 AM)
if we don't give up any of our position prospects ....i'll be pretty excited....unless its Poreda, Richard, Hudson and Infante......

Part of me thinks hudson could be in the deal, which is why its PTBNL because he, like beckham was drafted last year and can't be traded until 1 year after the draft, correct?

Correct.

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 21, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)
Would this be the biggest trade acquisition in White Sox history? I am doing some major brain storming here, I am stumped.

George Bell

if he did say Yes what day you think would be his first start....i am coming home tomorrow and plannin on going on saturday...i might want to buy my tickets now

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
George Bell

if he did say Yes what day you think would be his first start....i am coming home tomorrow and plannin on going on saturday...i might want to buy my tickets now

Saturday against the Pirates.

I'd say the Freddy Garcia deal was slightly bigger. Peavy has had a better career than Garcia at the points of the deals, but our team was in better shape when we got Garcia. Both though were the crown jewels of the market when dealt (should it happen) and both were actually traded far in advance of the July deadline. I'm in favor of the deal provided we don't trade Flowers or Beckham. I want Flowers to be our catcher (or 1b-DH) in 2010. I just hope this deal isn't an indication that Kenny is changing strategies, rather that this is a part of our current youth movement.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:39 AM)
George Bell

If the George Bell trade was done in 1988 you may be right.

I think Hudson could be very good in the future, but he still doesn't have overwhelming stuff to make me think he can be a stud. To me, he is more of the Twins type pitcher who succeeds with command and first-pitch strike and then in the majors does a solid, but not great job. I am all for giving him up, especially if it means we can keep Allen, Flowers, Danks and Beckham.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ May 21, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
George Bell

I'm guessing his first start would be Saturday. Move Burls up a day for Friday, Peavy starts Saturday.

QUOTE (Punch and Judy Garland @ May 21, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
I'd say the Freddy Garcia deal was slightly bigger. Peavy has had a better career than Garcia at the points of the deals, but our team was in better shape when we got Garcia. Both though were the crown jewels of the market when dealt (should it happen) and both were actually traded far in advance of the July deadline. I'm in favor of the deal provided we don't trade Flowers or Beckham. I want Flowers to be our catcher (or 1b-DH) in 2010. I just hope this deal isn't an indication that Kenny is changing strategies, rather that this is a part of our current youth movement.

Peavy is a top 5-10 starter in baseball. Freddy was never in that tier. I am going to have to disagree here.

According to Levine, Linebrink believes there is a 50/50 shot that Peavy accepts.

"Jake called me [Wednesday] afternoon to ask about what it's like here in Chicago," said Sox reliever Scott Linebrink, who was a teammate of Peavy's on the Padres. "I think he's ready to move on, but I can't tell you for sure he's going to accept the deal. Losing 100 games, like they did last year, wears on a player.

"Right now, I'd say it's 50-50 as to whether he accepts it or not. He'll get with his family today and make a decision."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?po...amp;name=levine

Edited by maggsmaggs