Is Sammy a Hall of Famer???

southsider2k5

Sammy in or out of the Hall?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Would you vote Sammy Sosa into the Hall of Fame if you had a vote?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 03:15 PM)
OOPS!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/sports/b...&ref=sports

This story just broke.

Good. I have been amazed by the amount of ignorant people out there who would say, "There is no actual proof Sammy did steroids, so he has to be considered clean" He has to be one of the most obvious cases, so hopefully this can shut all those people up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 04:20 PM)
D'Oh.

Did Sammy say anything similar to Palmeiro at the Senate hearings? A firm denial that he had ever tested positive? If he'd been informed of that test's results then that would be perjury.

"To be clear, I have never taken illegal performance-enhancing drugs," Mr. Sosa said in a sworn statement.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/18/sports/b...18steroids.html

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 03:23 PM)
I am/was one of them. Sosa has no previous ties to PED's before this, and to prosecute him for something others did would be irresponsible. However, now that there is a direct link, everything is fair game.

Just assuming isn't enough to keep someone out of the hall.

The guy cheated with a corked bat and lied about that too. Sosa took every shortcut imaginable.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 03:28 PM)
I think this could be a turning point for people to stop caring about steroids.

Or for some, like me, it adds to the anger over it. Not that Sosa is a surprise at all, but, its frustrating, and makes me want all the more to see Selig have some balls and really dig into cleaning up the sport.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
Gaylord Perry made the Hall cheating the entire time with a spitball. Whats your point?

I'm one of those who sees a big difference between getting an edge on the field working around the game rules, and using an illegal substance to give you a constant advantage. Others won't agree, that's fine, but those things are very different IMO for a number of reasons.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
God I hope not.

Who's he going up against? Will voters actually vote for him saying there was no hard evidence against him?

I would think when he's up, bad press will surround his eligibility and perhaps drive votes away. No one recently link to roids is in, right?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/sports/b...&ref=sports

he tested positive in 2003. Roider, cheater.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
"To be clear, I have never taken illegal performance-enhancing drugs," Mr. Sosa said in a sworn statement.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/18/sports/b...18steroids.html

That's actually not enough. He said Illegal...he could have taken something that wasn't illegal at the time, or he could have taken something while outside the country in an area where it was legal, or he could always go the "i didn't know" route that Bonds did.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
Or for some, like me, it adds to the anger over it. Not that Sosa is a surprise at all, but, its frustrating, and makes me want all the more to see Selig have some balls and step down.

Fixed that for you.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
Gaylord Perry made the Hall cheating the entire time with a spitball. Whats your point?

Hawk has told the story 1000X about the eras being different. I doubt anyone using a spitball in the HR era would be looked at in the same light as Perry was during his time. Cheaters today are almost looked at as villains.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
Hawk has told the story 1000X about the eras being different. I doubt anyone using a spitball in the HR era would be looked at in the same light as Perry was during his time. Cheaters today are almost looked at as villains.

More importantly I think, the in-game cheating stuff like that is just a lot harder to get away with now, because of all the cameras. Every game is on TV now, with lots of angles. And then the hyperanalysts like us on this board. Everything is scrutinized in much greater focus now.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
I am/was one of them. Sosa has no previous ties to PED's before this, and to prosecute him for something others did would be irresponsible.

"Prosecution" and HOF induction are two very different things. I don't consider using common sense to see through the cover-up that the MLBPA and owners conspired to be "irresponsible." The burden of proof in the courtroom and the inherent flaws in our criminal justice system (O.J., anyone?) should never trump common sense.

Just assuming isn't enough to keep someone out of the hall.

The combination of Sammy's unnatural increase in muscle mass, Sammy's mediocre batting average, and Sammy's mediocre defense were enough for me. Now I'd say that he has about a snowball's chance in hell.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 16, 2009 -> 04:49 PM)
This just in, Sammy Sosa is claiming that he was only using the steroids for batting practice to entertain his fans, but not for the real games.

That would be a great excuse wouldn't it?

Deep inside, I just know some Cubs fans will still try and find a way to defend Sosa by using that as evidence.