The Finer Things In Life

knightni

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 01:23 AM)
Cinnamon and/or nutmeg do sound like they would be good additions to this or any drink with calvados or applejack. But your note that you are bringing the Cointreau down to 1 oz. makes me wonder what recipe you were using that had it starting out so high. CocktailDB only calls for 1/4 oz, while Ted Haigh and Gary Regan call for 3/4 and 1/2 oz. respectively. Even where the 1930 Harry Craddock version calls for 1.5 oz, he also notes that the recipe was for six small servings so the ratio of calvados to Cointreau is 2:1 and the absolute amount in a single serving is only 1/4-1/2 oz.

Gary Regan's version also calls for lemon juice, and when mixed up that way the drink comes off very much like a Sidecar. When I did it up that way (subbing Laird's for want of a calvados), the drink was so Sidecar-esque that I went with a sugared rim on the glass to good effect.

Finally, you did not specify in your notes, but I am assuming you are using orange bitters in the Calvados Cocktail and not plain Ango, yes? All four of the recipes I consulted specify orange bitters exclusively for this one.

There are close to 90 recipes in the Cocktail DB for drinks made with Calvados, so if you want to give that neglected bottle a workout you should find plenty of inspiration there. The Atlas Cocktail made with Calvados and Demerara rum has caught my eye and I think I'll give this one a go in the near future.

Happy Mixing!

That was a mistake in typing on my end. It was 3/4 for Cointreau and yes, I used orange bitters (another ingredient I forget I have!). I feel like some honey might work well in it, though calling it a Calvados Cocktail would certainly be a stretch at that point.

I will have to try the Atlas. That looks great. Thanks for the links!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look what I found at the bottom corner of the brandy section of the only good liquor store in the area: (look at knight's post cuz I screwed that up)

Drinking a Jack Rose with this bad boy right now. The apple is very apparent along with the heat. I will be testing it against the 80 proof applejack tonight.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:09 PM)
Are you familiar with finding the properties/info of an image?

I right clicked the image but saw no properties option. I opened the full image and copied the url but that didn't seem to work (at least when I tried to preview). So I uploaded it again.

Alright, mixed up the Jack Rose with the 80 proof applejack and really there is no comparison. This is like drinking candy. The applejack doesn't stand up to a good grenadine and is basically a Red Tide. Now, certainly I have nothing against the delicious concoction, but it lacks much complexity.

The 100 proof holds its own in both apple flavor and a touch of heat. Can't imagine drinking it straight, though. The nose leaves no mistaking the proof. But mixed, this is definitely what it is cracked up to be so far. For $20 it's about the same price as the 80 proof.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 07:43 PM)
Alright, mixed up the Jack Rose with the 80 proof applejack and really there is no comparison. This is like drinking candy. The applejack doesn't stand up to a good grenadine and is basically a Red Tide. Now, certainly I have nothing against the delicious concoction, but it lacks much complexity.

The 100 proof holds its own in both apple flavor and a touch of heat. Can't imagine drinking it straight, though. The nose leaves no mistaking the proof. But mixed, this is definitely what it is cracked up to be so far. For $20 it's about the same price as the 80 proof.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
Wow, I am totally jealous.

Ditto. Sounds incredible.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
Wow, I am totally jealous.

I was actually looking for pisco when I found this. I'd happily take the Coruba from all I hear about it. We may have to trade.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 26, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
I was actually looking for pisco when I found this. I'd happily take the Coruba from all I hear about it. We may have to trade.

A trade can most certainly be arranged, but I think Coruba is pretty easily had through a few online outlets.

Classic though it is, the Jack Rose has always left me a little flat using the 80 proof Laird's. I think you have confirmed my suspicion that the Bonded Laird's is needed to really put that cocktail over.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 27, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
A trade can most certainly be arranged, but I think Coruba is pretty easily had through a few online outlets.

Classic though it is, the Jack Rose has always left me a little flat using the 80 proof Laird's. I think you have confirmed my suspicion that the Bonded Laird's is needed to really put that cocktail over.

So is the Lairds: Drinkupny

I revisited two Caribbean classics this evening: the Mojito and the Caipirinha. Specifically, I wanted to follow the advice from Drinkboy's Robert Hess and make these muddled cocktails with granulated sugar instead of the simple syrup I normally use.

Despite the obvious downside that sugar doesn't like to dissolve in cocktails, the appealing upside is that the sugar adds some abrasiveness to the muddle. This should allow the mint in a Mojito to be gently but effectively muddled so that the delicate mint oils are released from the leaves but not the bitterness that you get from over-muddling. Similarly in the Caipirinha, the abrasion from the sugar should help release to the cocktail the essential oils from the lime hulls that straight muddling with simple syrup would mostly leave behind.

The verdict: It totally works. I am henceforth switching to granulated sugar for these two muddled cocktails and probably for any others where some abrasion of the muddled ingredients would make sense.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

Two very unlikely things happened last night.

Unlikely Thing One: I found a bottle of Martinique Rhum St. James Extra Old (43% abv, blend of 3-6 year old rhums) at one of the local hooch shops yesterday. Typically I only find the younger (18-24 months) Royal Ambre locally, and have been pestering shopkeepers for about two years to start stocking Extra Old and/or the still more elusive Hors d'Age (42% abv, blend of 6-10 year old rhums). I have been looking for this rhum locally for a long time.

Unlikely Thing Two: I was so focused on tweaking and testing my newly discovered granulated sugar approach to the Caipirinha this evening that I never got around to using the St. James Extra Old to shake up what I expect will be the best mai tai I have ever tasted. St. James Extra Old Mai Tai tonight for sure.

This evening I did finish reading Wayne Curtis' "and a Bottle of Rum: A History of the New World in Ten Cocktails". Great Book! To celebrate I did just mixed up the first recipe in the book's historic recipe appendix — A single serving of a traditional interpretation of the classic Fish House Punch. Used Jamaican and Guyanan rums (ala Punch expert Dave Wondrich's advice to go "high hogo" on the rums for authenticity) and Martel VS cognac. Pretty good drink.

I don't know how I missed this, but nearby Alcoa appears to be the #1 choice for Sierra Nevada's east coast HQ and a full scale brewery and distribution operation!

A nice side benefit is that it has forced TN to deal with it's outdated beer laws, including one requirement that any brewery making beer over 5% have to get a distillery license in addition to the brewery license.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
How much head is acceptable on a pint of beer, say an IPA for example and is it unreasonable to ask a bartender to add more beer if there is too much head?

2-3 fingers. I'm sure there is some level where the bartender is just being an ass.

Mixed up a Spindrift. Dark rum, demarera rum, light rum, passion fruit, orange juice and vanilla extract.

Oh this is deep and rich and absolutely dangerous. The batch of passion fruit syrup I mixed last week is really good for reasons I don't understand. The fruit and rich molasses notes are enhanced by the vanilla. Basically, its a sidewinder's fang on steroids.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 09:28 PM)
Mixed up a Spindrift. Dark rum, demarera rum, light rum, passion fruit, orange juice and vanilla extract.

Oh this is deep and rich and absolutely dangerous. The batch of passion fruit syrup I mixed last week is really good for reasons I don't understand. The fruit and rich molasses notes are enhanced by the vanilla. Basically, its a sidewinder's fang on steroids.

I haven't had a Spindrift in ages. I might have to do something about that.

Low-key drinking last night. . . a couple of nice Americanos with Campari and Punt y Mes Italian vermouth and some Laphroaig neat with a splash of water to wake it up.

The Mixoloseum Thursday Night Drink Night theme this past week was beer cocktails. in advance of the similarly themed Mixology Monday July installment. I went to the beer shops in search of a nice tart guezue to use in place of champagne in a riff off of a French 75 but I came up empty. Instead, I picked up a bottle of Lindeman's Pomme (apple) lambic and switched my sights from gin to brandy when it came time to mix. The result (after a couple of iterations) was a really tasty and nicely balanced beer cocktail that also included Canton ginger liqueur and maple syrup:

Flemish 75

• 1.5 oz cognac (Martel V.S.)

• 0.5 oz Domaine de Canton

• 0.25 maple syrup

• Lindeman’s Pomme Lambic

Shake first three ingredients with ice, and strain into a champagne flute. Top with pomme lambic (3-4 ounces).

Interestingly, with both cognac and Canton liqueur, this French 75 riff is decidedly more French than the London dry gin original.

Picked up a bottle of Russell's Reserve Rye Whiskey, the name caught my attention (obviously :D and my brother vouched it was a good rye whiskey. I've been meaning to try a rye whiskey so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
Picked up a bottle of Russell's Reserve Rye Whiskey, the name caught my attention (obviously :D and my brother vouched it was a good rye whiskey. I've been meaning to try a rye whiskey so hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

It will not disappoint!

Two can't miss classic rye cocktails: Manhattan and Old Fashioned.

When you are ready to go really old school you can tackle a Sazerac.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
It will not disappoint!

Two can't miss classic rye cocktails: Manhattan and Old Fashioned.

When you are ready to go really old school you can tackle a Sazerac.

I actually have some absinthe from Amsterdam sstill that I may have to try in that last drink. I bought it with a roommate though so I probably can't open it yet :P

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 05:10 PM)
I actually have some absinthe from Amsterdam sstill that I may have to try in that last drink. I bought it with a roommate though so I probably can't open it yet :P

Just takes a dash of absinthe to rinse the glass, your roomy won't even notice.