The Finer Things In Life

knightni

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ May 3, 2011 -> 04:15 PM)
I will try that.. is that a limited run from three floyds?

No it isn't limited run, but last time I was in Chicago it was nowhere to be found.

Those Bells selections are good too.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ May 3, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
LOL! oh Jim i was hoping for something extraordinary :)

edit: i appreciate you attempting to save me money on the bill though

I was just going to suggest that too. That description has me sold. :lolhitting

On a side note, it's tall boy tuesday at the bar I work at, so I might very well be having a few old styles myself tonight...

• 2 weeks later...

It's Thursday Drink Night on the online Mixoloseum forum and the theme of the evening is: Internet Memes.

My original cocktail submission for the evening is the Rickroll Rikishi:

• 1.5 oz. kōrui shōchū (shōchū is a classic Japanese distilled spirit that is currently outpacing sake in terms of domestic Japanese consumption)

• 1.5 oz. nigori (cloudy) sake

• 0.75 oz. Chambord

• 1 egg white.

dry shake (no ice)/wet shake (with ice)/strain/up/top foam with drops of Chambord and rake into appealing design, garnish with 1 raspberry.

Actually this came out pretty nice.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ May 3, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
LOL! oh Jim i was hoping for something extraordinary :)

edit: i appreciate you attempting to save me money on the bill though

What did you end up trying?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 13, 2011 -> 02:05 AM)
Cool limited release variety pack from Sam Adams. Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA Deconstructed

Lat48Decon_FullComp-thumb-400x298-40228.

I have been on the lookout for that to show up on shelves here. No luck so far. I'm very interested to do a side-by-side with these. I'm eager to identify the nuances of Ahtanum and Zeus hops that I'm unfamiliar with, but also because I don't think I have had a high-IBU ale where the sole bittering hop is noble Hallertau. That would be one expensive beer to make on a regular basis.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ May 13, 2011 -> 12:04 AM)
oh, i had the saison dupont which was excellent, as well as the three floyds robert the bruce which was also fantastic.. and i finished with a tall glass of Stiegl for desert :)

Awesome to hear you enjoyed the Saison Dupont, I'll keep promoting that brewery in the states until more people know of it :lolhitting

Ive got to try some more Three Floyds, Ive had a few of their beers and they have been fantastic so far.

QUOTE (SnB @ May 16, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
Falling in love w/ gin and tonics over the past few weeks. Looking to improve - any tips?

A classic drink for a reason.

If you are falling in love with them, you are probably doing them right, but the simplest thing that so many people and even bartenders fock up is assuming this drink can be made with seltzer or club soda. It can't. Has to be tonic water with quinine and some sodium as well. That dryness in necessary to balance and compliment the botanicals of the gin and the tartness of the lime.

Use ice cubes or chips but not crushed ice, and don't scrimp on the lime wedges. I like to squeeze two good sized wedges in a G&T - approximately 1/4 lime's worth of juice. Use a tall glass, either a collins glass or a chimney glass. The snobs will emphasize pre-chilling the glass so that when the gin hits the ice you can hear the ice crackle. For me that only works for the first round and then I start reusing the glass.

Beyond that, the gin selection and the ratios are a matter of personal preference. 3 or 4 ounces of to ice to 2 ounces of gin is typical - I prefer 2 oz gin to 3 oz tonic. I don't think Bombay Sapphire makes a great Martini, but it does make stellar G&T. Good old Beefeaters works very well also, and for an interesting change of pace try one with Hendricks if you get a chance.

Finally, I like to break the slightest bit with tradition and add a scant dash (just a few drops) of Angostura bitters to my gin and tonics. It makes the gorgeous clear drink just a bit tannish, but the aromatics of the bitters are a nice compliment to the gin botanicals and the lime. Try it and tell me what you think.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 12, 2011 -> 09:03 PM)
I think 312 may be my favorite, or atleast one of, summer time beer.

Might be a good list to make. My favs outside of 312:

Bell's Oberon

2 Brothers Ebel's Weis

Allagash White (anytime really)

Hoegaarden

Dos Equis Amber

El Presidente (if you can find it)

I have been away in South Carolina on vacation. Brought passion fruit syrup and rum to make Sidewinders Fangs. My wife and my mother in law are now addicted. Awesome drink. I prefer them with tonic rather than club soda. I had the chance to have some local beers down there. I grabbed some Duck Rabbit and, unfortunately, it was clearly light struck. However, Palmetto is a pretty nice brewery and their pale was very good.

By the way, I tried th G&T with bitters and that is nice. Definitely a nice twist to give a new layer to the drink.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 22, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
I have been away in South Carolina on vacation. Brought passion fruit syrup and rum to make Sidewinders Fangs. My wife and my mother in law are now addicted. Awesome drink. I prefer them with tonic rather than club soda. I had the chance to have some local beers down there. I grabbed some Duck Rabbit and, unfortunately, it was clearly light struck. However, Palmetto is a pretty nice brewery and their pale was very good.

By the way, I tried th G&T with bitters and that is nice. Definitely a nice twist to give a new layer to the drink.

Palmetto has been at it for nearly 20 years — I remember trying a few of their beers shortly after they opened in the early 1990s. That trip up through South Carolina sticks out in my memory because my wife and I got engaged that trip — during a marine botany conference. Yeah, we were badass rebels, weren't we? :unsure:

Sidewinder's Fang is a Tiki classic for sure. I tend to only do it when I have fresh oranges to juice, and if I am using homemade passionfruit syrup I'll dial the lime juice back to 1 ounce. Are you using Coruba and ED 5 as the Jamaican and Demerara rums?

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 22, 2011 -> 10:59 PM)
Palmetto has been at it for nearly 20 years — I remember trying a few of their beers shortly after they opened in the early 1990s. That trip up through South Carolina sticks out in my memory because my wife and I got engaged that trip — during a marine botany conference. Yeah, we were badass rebels, weren't we? :unsure:

Sidewinder's Fang is a Tiki classic for sure. I tend to only do it when I have fresh oranges to juice, and if I am using homemade passionfruit syrup I'll dial the lime juice back to 1 ounce. Are you using Coruba and ED 5 as the Jamaican and Demerara rums?

No Coruba near me and I couldn't find it in South Carolina. I use Myers and ED 12. I also cut back on the lime.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 22, 2011 -> 11:06 PM)
No Coruba near me and I couldn't find it in South Carolina. I use Myers and ED 12. I also cut back on the lime.

With ED 12 you are doing alright. :drink

An interesting rum to try when you find it is Sergeant Classick gold. It is a pot still rum made in San Francisco with molasses from Hawaii. I bought a bottle back last September and I found it interesting but hard to mix with — just couldn't find the right cocktail for it despite it having a lot of interesting pot still esters in the flavor profile. So the bottle sat around half-full for months until last week when I was watching the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie with the family and I thought I try it in a traditional bumbo (the real pirate rum drink — grog was an attempt by the Royal Navy to keep its sailors from getting too trashed).

WOW!! This rum is absolutely brilliant in a bumbo, and I really wonder if it isn't rather similar to the type of rim that would have been a 17th pirate staple. Pot-stilled but unaged and a bit green, really needing a just bit of spicing up to really be enjoyable.

Bumbo is fun with any flavorful gold rum, but I think the Sergeant Classick is just a perfect fit in this drink.

• 2 oz. good gold rum

• 1 oz. cool water

• grated nutmeg to taste

• grated cinnamon to taste

Notice the lack of ice for 17th century pirate authenticity. Note also the lack of lime. Short haul pirates didn't need to worry about scurvy the way the Royal Navy's sailors did. Try this when you are looking for a change of pace.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 22, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)
With ED 12 you are doing alright. :drink

An interesting rum to try when you find it is Sergeant Classick gold. It is a pot still rum made in San Francisco with molasses from Hawaii. I bought a bottle back last September and I found it interesting but hard to mix with — just couldn't find the right cocktail for it despite it having a lot of interesting pot still esters in the flavor profile. So the bottle sat around half-full for months until last week when I was watching the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie with the family and I thought I try it in a traditional bumbo (the real pirate rum drink — grog was an attempt by the Royal Navy to keep its sailors from getting too trashed).

WOW!! This rum is absolutely brilliant in a bumbo, and I really wonder if it isn't rather similar to the type of rim that would have been a 17th pirate staple. Pot-stilled but unaged and a bit green, really needing a just bit of spicing up to really be enjoyable.

Bumbo is fun with any flavorful gold rum, but I think the Sergeant Classick is just a perfect fit in this drink.

• 2 oz. good gold rum

• 1 oz. cool water

• grated nutmeg to taste

• grated cinnamon to taste

Notice the lack of ice for 17th century pirate authenticity. Note also the lack of lime. Short haul pirates didn't need to worry about scurvy the way the Royal Navy's sailors did. Try this when you are looking for a change of pace.

Never heard of the rum but I am very interested in the drink. Worth trying with an Appleton product?

On another note, I know nothing about bourbon, but I found this interesting. Jim Beam is bottling what they call the Devil's Cut. Extracting the remaining bourbon left in the barrels themselves and adding it to 6 year old bourbon. Any takers on that?

QUOTE (G&T @ May 25, 2011 -> 03:38 PM)
Never heard of the rum but I am very interested in the drink. Worth trying with an Appleton product?

On another note, I know nothing about bourbon, but I found this interesting. Jim Beam is bottling what they call the Devil's Cut. Extracting the remaining bourbon left in the barrels themselves and adding it to 6 year old bourbon. Any takers on that?

V/X works well in the Bumbo, on it's own or mixed with Pusser's. That's what I had to drink last week when I ran out of Classick Gold.

The Devil's Cut product sounds like it could be excellent and I will certainly give it a try when it makes it down here. Beam's rye is pretty good stuff when I can't find Old Overholt and don't want to break the bank on expensive bottle.

uh...I have a Founder Imperial Stout waiting for me in the fridge, but it's too warm today. HURRICANE!

Meanwhile, I will be going to a small party this weekend and it sounds like the hosts want their first taste of tiki (I will try my best anyway). I'm trying not to make it too complicated since I have to bring everything to their house so mai tais are out unless that's all I do. Probably go with hurricanes and red tides because that's super easy.

I would like to do sidewinders since they are a crowd pleaser, but that kinda goes against my principle. I should bust out a rum flip since they are on the adventurous side.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 25, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
V/X works well in the Bumbo, on it's own or mixed with Pusser's. That's what I had to drink last week when I ran out of Classick Gold.

The Devil's Cut product sounds like it could be excellent and I will certainly give it a try when it makes it down here. Beam's rye is pretty good stuff when I can't find Old Overholt and don't want to break the bank on expensive bottle.

Awesome. I'm gonna give that a shot.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 25, 2011 -> 07:06 PM)
uh...I have a Founder Imperial Stout waiting for me in the fridge, but it's too warm today. HURRICANE!

Meanwhile, I will be going to a small party this weekend and it sounds like the hosts want their first taste of tiki (I will try my best anyway). I'm trying not to make it too complicated since I have to bring everything to their house so mai tais are out unless that's all I do. Probably go with hurricanes and red tides because that's super easy.

I would like to do sidewinders since they are a crowd pleaser, but that kinda goes against my principle. I should bust out a rum flip since they are on the adventurous side.

Trying to maximize the number of drinks you can mix while minimizing the amount of booze you have to haul around - - sounds very familiar. :)

Adventurous or not, you can send a room full of people screaming for the door when you threaten to put (*gasp!*) an egg in their cocktail. :lolhitting

For some easy tasty party suggestions, don't overlook the simple pleasure of a correctly made Pusser''s Painkiller or a Goslings Dark and Stormy.