The Finer Things In Life

knightni

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 07:24 AM)
The oldest and most famous Berlin Beer Garden is Prater Biergarten dating back to the 1830s. That would be a must-do stop for me. If you make it there or to any of the large biergartens please take a photo and post it.

Though you will be able to find a lot of variety I'm sure, THE endemic Berlin beer is Berliner Weisse, which is a world classic style. Very light in color, body, and alcohol, with just a slight tartness to most and a sharper tartness in some. Traditionally a dash of raspberry syrup or woodruff syrup are added to sweeten. It's not necessary and i like it both with and without syrup.

That's the beer garden located within a 5 minute walk from my hostel, we are going there tomorrow. I'll definitely take some pics and post them. I went on a brewery tour in Bruges, I'll have to see the pics and if they are good I'll post them too.

I've had a few local beers, nothing special so far since they have been pretty cheap, but looking forward to going out and trying more tonight and tomorrow. So far we've only hit up the historical/cultural part, going to the museums and taking a 4 hour walking tour.

Also pretty cool that the NATO meetings on Libya are taking place here right now, and the amount of police out right now is astounding.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
That's the beer garden located within a 5 minute walk from my hostel, we are going there tomorrow. I'll definitely take some pics and post them. I went on a brewery tour in Bruges, I'll have to see the pics and if they are good I'll post them too.

I've had a few local beers, nothing special so far since they have been pretty cheap, but looking forward to going out and trying more tonight and tomorrow. So far we've only hit up the historical/cultural part, going to the museums and taking a 4 hour walking tour.

Also pretty cool that the NATO meetings on Libya are taking place here right now, and the amount of police out right now is astounding.

I don't know about you man but after drinking all those beers I'd be hitting up those famous Berlin clubs! Berghain, Watergate, Robert Johnson or Weekend

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 16, 2011 -> 11:03 AM)
that is a good roommate to have!

Absolutely. Ended up bottling something like 60 beers yesterday. He still has about 10 left from his first brew in the fall which was an Oktoberfest.

My father in law has started home brewing and sending samples to me for my opinion. Not a bad situation. He's just starting and the beer, while generally good, sometimes misses the style mark. Not easy to tell your father in law that his abbey ale is way too hoppy.

Of course I gave him notes on his Saison a while back and now it is pretty awesome.

I have to admit to cheating in my drinks. For a while, I replaced dark rum with some form of Appleton. I wanted to find Coruba (since everything seems to call for it), but it isn't sold here, so I finally bit the bullet and got some Myers. I mixed up a hurricane last night using the Myers and oh. my. God. It's far richer and with coconut and banana notes. I basically slurped that whole thing down in a couple gulps.

Oh course, it didn't seem to work in the dark and stormy. A bit bland. Could be the ginger beer, or the rum.

I also had a full blown syrup day. Simple, turbinado, passion fruit and orgeat. I'm set for a while.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
I have to admit to cheating in my drinks. For a while, I replaced dark rum with some form of Appleton. I wanted to find Coruba (since everything seems to call for it), but it isn't sold here, so I finally bit the bullet and got some Myers. I mixed up a hurricane last night using the Myers and oh. my. God. It's far richer and with coconut and banana notes. I basically slurped that whole thing down in a couple gulps.

Oh course, it didn't seem to work in the dark and stormy. A bit bland. Could be the ginger beer, or the rum.

I also had a full blown syrup day. Simple, turbinado, passion fruit and orgeat. I'm set for a while.

All very good. But when you do finally pick up some Coruba, you will never go back to Myers. It honestly is that much better.

As for Dark N' Stormies, I am currently in heaven. I found a beachside market that caters to yachties and sells 4-packs of Barritt's ginger beer in the bottles, which is the only way the real cane-sugar stuff is distributed. Barritt's has basically been making it into almost everything I have been spinning up here for the last two weeks.

And I am an Originalist as far as the Dark 'N Stormy is concerned. The rum has got to be Goslings or it isn't really a Dark N' Stormy.

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 17, 2011 -> 09:46 PM)
Well there's no doubt that people put in a lot of effort to get the ingredients right in these drinks and faking it just does not give the right results.

I don't care much either way about the Goslings corporate bulldogs copyrighting the name "Dark 'N Stormy" (such that, if you don't use Goslings it is not a "Dark 'N Stormy" but a "Dark & Stormy"). Goslings just honestly works in this drink like it was made solely for that task.

Pussers in a Painkiller is about the best comparison I can draw. Use another Caribbean gold rum and you can certainly make a serviceable drink, but if you want liquid poetry it has to be Pussers.

The wife and I snuck out to the 2-year anniversary party of our local craft beer bar yesterday. I did not win the bottle of Sam Adams Utopias that they were raffling off, unfortunately. I did , however, get to drink a Sierra Nevada/New Clairvaux Abbey Ovila Dubbel and it was marvelous. The keg version didn't have quite the rocky dense the bottled version might offer, but it was quite complex and very much a convincing Abby style dubbel.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
Last night for dinner before heading to the bulls game I went to longman and eagle and thoroughly enjoyed a glass of La Chouffe and Westmalle Triple and topped it off with a delicious pork belly confit... i felt like i was in heaven :headbang

Oh my god. That sounds amazing.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
Last night for dinner before heading to the bulls game I went to longman and eagle and thoroughly enjoyed a glass of La Chouffe and Westmalle Triple and topped it off with a delicious pork belly confit... i felt like i was in heaven :headbang

La Chouffe just wasn't my beer, but Westmalle Trippel is delicious!!!

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)

I gotta check that place out, I've been to Owen & Engine and that was delicious

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)

YUMM!!

QUOTE (G&T @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
Oh my god. That sounds amazing.

It certainly does.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
La Chouffe just wasn't my beer, but Westmalle Trippel is delicious!!!

As much of a Chimay Cinq Cents devotee as I am, Westmalle Tripel is the original golden Trappist tripel, and still arguably the best. And maybe the La Chouffe yiu were served in Bruges just wasn't fresh, because as much as you like the rest of the stuff you were drinking I can't see you noy liking Chouffe's stuff as well.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
I gotta check that place out, I've been to Owen & Engine and that was delicious

You will love it I promise. Their drink list is amazing as is the food of course. I LOVE Owen & Engine.. Nothing like fish n' chips along with a glass of some Sierra Nevada Big Foot.. Or a bottle of Duvel Tripel Hop if im feeling frugal :)

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 07:31 PM)
You will love it I promise. Their drink list is amazing as is the food of course. I LOVE Owen & Engine.. Nothing like fish n' chips along with a glass of some Sierra Nevada Big Foot.. Or a bottle of Duvel Tripel Hop if im feeling frugal :)

I have dreams about those fish n chips, we had that bacon and egg sandwich as well as the roasted bone marrow. Everything was awesome