The Finer Things In Life

knightni

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive been in Ireland this weekend and Irish Guiness is glorious, along with Murphys and another stout I had called Dark Arts.

Also went to the Jameson distellery in Midleton (which is the oldest one of the company, but was shut down in 1975 for a modern facility next to it), really cool to see and of course the samples you got afterwards were delicious.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 20, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
Ive been in Ireland this weekend and Irish Guiness is glorious, along with Murphys and another stout I had called Dark Arts.

Also went to the Jameson distellery in Midleton (which is the oldest one of the company, but was shut down in 1975 for a modern facility next to it), really cool to see and of course the samples you got afterwards were delicious.

If you didn't get a chance to try the Jameson Crested Ten at the distillery make a point of finding it at a pub or a bottle shop. It has a higher proportion of potstill spirit in it than the other Jameson labels, and a full, round mellowness from aging in sherry casks. I wish they sold it in the states.

I didn't have a chance to try it, I just had their 12 year and 5 year styles. From what I was told, all of their bottled whiskeys are a mix from barrels that are second hand, of which 60% were used for american bourbon and 40% for sherry wines, which gives the whiskey it's color and sweetness.

184016_1340847201708_1247010387_31339545

I thought this pic was pretty cool, the first barrel is brand new whiskey with no aging.

2nd - minimal 3 years of aging to be considered whiskey by Irish law, Jameson wont sell this yet still

3rd - 5 years of aging, this is the first type that Jameson sells

4th - 12 years of aging, another popular type

5th - I believe it was 100 years of aging, but it is pretty rare comparatively

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 04:33 AM)
I didn't have a chance to try it, I just had their 12 year and 5 year styles. From what I was told, all of their bottled whiskeys are a mix from barrels that are second hand, of which 60% were used for american bourbon and 40% for sherry wines, which gives the whiskey it's color and sweetness.

184016_1340847201708_1247010387_31339545

I thought this pic was pretty cool, the first barrel is brand new whiskey with no aging.

2nd - minimal 3 years of aging to be considered whiskey by Irish law, Jameson wont sell this yet still

3rd - 5 years of aging, this is the first type that Jameson sells

4th - 12 years of aging, another popular type

5th - I believe it was 100 years of aging, but it is pretty rare comparatively

Very cool information and sounds like a great tour. Yeah, the law that mandates that American bourbon casks all be single-use virgin casks is an absolute blessing to other spirits distillers around the world.

Here's a pretty neat read about come of the differences between bourbon casks and sherry barrels from a Scotch site.

Really cool to see you are taking ful advantage of all your European travels, taking in and drinking in some of the culture as you get the chance. I'm totally jealous.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 21, 2011 -> 08:16 AM)
Very cool information and sounds like a great tour. Yeah, the law that mandates that American bourbon casks all be single-use virgin casks is an absolute blessing to other spirits distillers around the world.

Here's a pretty neat read about come of the differences between bourbon casks and sherry barrels from a Scotch site.

Really cool to see you are taking ful advantage of all your European travels, taking in and drinking in some of the culture as you get the chance. I'm totally jealous.

It's the reason I decided to go abroad, not just the drinks but the cultures, different perspectives, and architecture (I love just walking around and absorbing the different buildings in older cities). I could've easily stayed on campus and had a strong chance on being elected president of an organization I am in among other activities, but this has been something I have wanted to do since I went on a trip to Italy in high school.

I am very excited to have my brother join me in April for more traveling, he brews his own beer and has ventured into making liquers (can't remember which ones) and is really into the finer drinks.

I just feel fortunate that I have been able to afford this trip (through savings from being an RA) and having the timing work out perfectly (12 weeks of class in the trimester, then a month of travel in late March-April, and heading home with plenty of time for my internship).

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
I shelled out for the 3 Fontenein Oude Geuze. Oh my God. It is so funky and sour it's amazing. Tons of lemons and mustard yet pleasant green apple lies in there as well.

That sounds outstanding and right up my alley. A bottle of it will set me back $14 at one of the good local beer bars, but I may have to treat myself some time soon.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 11:03 PM)
That sounds outstanding and right up my alley. A bottle of it will set me back $14 at one of the good local beer bars, but I may have to treat myself some time soon.

Unfortunately that is the rate for quality sours. I grabbed a small bottle for $10 at the bottle shop. Its $20+ for the full 750ml. I don't pony up often at those rates. But damn is it good.

Meanwhile, I also grabbed a bottle of Barbancourt 5 star and WOW. This is a quality sipper and smooth as hell. No problem drinking this with just a couple ice cubes.

I should add that we made a long anticipated trip to Table and Vine in Massachusetts. Blew through a couple months of my liquor budget but I only really splurged on the 3 Fontenein. Everything else was a good buy or impossible to get around me. Grabbed some Rodenbach, Pretty Things, South Hampton, a bottle of Leblon and the Barbancourt.

I hadn't bought beer since December after my massive Christmas beer haul. This haul will have to last till like April.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 06:57 PM)
Unfortunately that is the rate for quality sours. I grabbed a small bottle for $10 at the bottle shop. Its $20+ for the full 750ml. I don't pony up often at those rates. But damn is it good.

Meanwhile, I also grabbed a bottle of Barbancourt 5 star and WOW. This is a quality sipper and smooth as hell. No problem drinking this with just a couple ice cubes.

I should add that we made a long anticipated trip to Table and Vine in Massachusetts. Blew through a couple months of my liquor budget but I only really splurged on the 3 Fontenein. Everything else was a good buy or impossible to get around me. Grabbed some Rodenbach, Pretty Things, South Hampton, a bottle of Leblon and the Barbancourt.

I hadn't bought beer since December after my massive Christmas beer haul. This haul will have to last till like April.

You will enjoy playing with the Barbancourt. I agree it is a quality sipper. Spin up the Palace Court from Grog Log (I cut the lime back just a bit) and let me know what you think.

G&T I followed your lead and mixed up a bottle of Goya passionfruit syrup the other day. The mix with 1:1 simple tasted sweet enough on its own and also in a Chuck Taggert Hurricane, but it still seemed a little unbalanced in a Jeff Berry "original" hurricane so I upped the sugar to be closer to 1.5:1 simple. he drink is balanced better now, but I'm wondering if all Coruba is the way to go on this one - an amazing thing for me to say since I'm a huge Coruba fan, but usually it is paired with lighter rums with less burnt molasses character. Beachbum is partial to Black Seal and I need to try that. I can also go half Coruba and half Appleton V/X which will bring the rum profile closer to the dark/light mix of the Taggert Hurricane. I have a feeling the big win is going to be getting some Smith and Cross in there — the huge ester hit from the Smith and Cross might balance the Coruba out nicely without wimping the drink out. The drink might also be pretty good with 100% Smith and Cross, although that would make for a pricey hurricane.

I'm also currently straining and bottling my home-extracted coconut rum which tastes unbelievably fresh and coconut-y out of the aging container. Once I cut in some more simple and rum to get a full fifth out of the batch I'll put it through its paces and report back.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 26, 2011 -> 07:36 PM)
G&T I followed your lead and mixed up a bottle of Goya passionfruit syrup the other day. The mix with 1:1 simple tasted sweet enough on its own and also in a Chuck Taggert Hurricane, but it still seemed a little unbalanced in a Jeff Berry "original" hurricane so I upped the sugar to be closer to 1.5:1 simple. he drink is balanced better now, but I'm wondering if all Coruba is the way to go on this one - an amazing thing for me to say since I'm a huge Coruba fan, but usually it is paired with lighter rums with less burnt molasses character. Beachbum is partial to Black Seal and I need to try that. I can also go half Coruba and half Appleton V/X which will bring the rum profile closer to the dark/light mix of the Taggert Hurricane. I have a feeling the big win is going to be getting some Smith and Cross in there — the huge ester hit from the Smith and Cross might balance the Coruba out nicely without wimping the drink out. The drink might also be pretty good with 100% Smith and Cross, although that would make for a pricey hurricane.

I'm also currently straining and bottling my home-extracted coconut rum which tastes unbelievably fresh and coconut-y out of the aging container. Once I cut in some more simple and rum to get a full fifth out of the batch I'll put it through its paces and report back.

Hokey Smokes, a Smith and Cross Jeff Berry Hurricane is a rum-funky, awesome drink. Glad I'm spinning up half-portions, because I have to find out where this goes with a Coruba pairing.

And I think the home-infused coconut rum is a winner as well. I christened the new liqueur by using showcasing it in a Bahama Mama made thusly:

• 4 oz pineapple juice

• 1 oz lemon juice

• 1 oz home-infused coconut rum liqueur

• 1/2oz El Dorado 5

• 1/2 oz 151 Cruzan 151

• 1/2 oz Kahlua

• float 1/4 oz Coruba

The CocktailDB version adapted from Gaz Regan only uses 1/2 oz of coconut rum and just 1/4 oz of Kahlua. Indeed, the first time around when I automatically went with Coruba for the dark rum, 1/2 oz of that along with 1/2 oz Kahlua were overpowering. But the home-infused coconut rum can be ramped up to a full ounce without the drink taking on all the crappy artificial flavors of Malibu or the other store-bought coconut rums, and that amount holds its own against a full 1/2 each oz of Kahlua and ED5, and can even poke through a small Coruba float.

If I was served this drink out at a tropical-themed bar I would be very content. Instead, I keep getting served crappy Kool-Aid and cheap rum. This aggression will not stand, Man.

Man you were doing some catching up last night, eh? That's sounds pretty awesome. I went out for my wife's bday where I was served a warm Negroni. It was undrinkable. Some places should not allow the bar tenders to actually control anything.

Passion fruit syrup is awesome on ice cream and waffles by the way, so don't waste it all on awesome drinks.

I have mixed up the Palace Court a couple of time since getting the Barbancourt. I find the lime to cover some of the niceties of the rum. It is certainly a good drink, but this might be one I save for sipping.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
Man you were doing some catching up last night, eh? That's sounds pretty awesome. I went out for my wife's bday where I was served a warm Negroni. It was undrinkable. Some places should not allow the bar tenders to actually control anything.

Passion fruit syrup is awesome on ice cream and waffles by the way, so don't waste it all on awesome drinks.

I have mixed up the Palace Court a couple of time since getting the Barbancourt. I find the lime to cover some of the niceties of the rum. It is certainly a good drink, but this might be one I save for sipping.

I definitely cut the lime way back on the Palace Court. to make sure the Barbancourt comes through. You might also try it in a midnight mojito or a dark rum daiquiri and cut back lime and sugar to taste.

I tried the home coconut rum in a Jamaican 10-Speed which is normally a really forgettable drink and it didn't exactly elevate the cocktail to new heights. It's an odd one because from a texture perspective (it has cream in it) it is always interesting, but flavor-wise it comes off really flat. I think it was the first time I had used Midori in a drink in more than a year.

The home coconut shines, however, in a low-octane luau cocktail of the sort you could even enjoy at breakfast on a Caribbean or Pacific island vacation. This morning I'm sipping a long drink I'm calling the Sunny&Rummy (my online cocktail forum handle) which is one part home coconut rum to two parts pineapple juice. It's better than most anything I've been served at touristy luau affairs — hits a lot of the taste notes of a Piña Colada/Bahia or a low-impact Painkiller. I wish I didn't have to drive to a christening in Oelando in about 90 minutes, because this could be a great hammock sipper.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)

Very cool. Thanks for posting that.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 01:37 AM)
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is disgusting.

Agreed. I hve head it has improved somewhat since it first came out, but it was so vile back then I haven't been able to bring myself to give it another try.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 07:01 AM)
I forgot to add Padre Brewing Company to my spring break recommendations. We usually will have appetizers upstairs on their deck.

Any brews you recommend? I've heard they have a lot of tropical/fruity beers.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 11:39 PM)
One of the worst beers I've ever had in my life.

Ya, it was terrible. Had 3 gulps and left it on the bar. I cleaned them out of Newscastle and was unimpressed with the other selections. Should have gone with something else.

I went to the hooch shop last night to pick up a bottle of Cazadores reposado tequila as the bottle at home was about gone. I was pleasantly astonished to find them selling the Cazadores añejo for the exact same price — $10 less than I had ever seen it go for — so I traded up.

This evening I am sipping a Jalisco Old-Fashioned based on one created by PDT's James Meehan and published in Joanne Weir's Tequila Guide.

• 2 oz Cazadores Añejo

• 1/4 oz agave nectar

• 2 dashes bitters

• orange twist garnish

Shake w/ice/strain/garnish

This is nice and really drinkable. The Cazadores isn't a particularly robust or aggressive añejo, but I'm still a little surprised at how much a bit of agave mellows it out in this cocktail.

Next up I think I'll revisit The Oaxaca Old-Fashioned, subbing the Caz añejo for the reposado the recipe calls for and pairing that with the crazy good and surprisingly affordable Del Maguey Vida mezcal.