The Finer Things In Life

knightni

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 11:58 PM)
I don't keep any calvados on hand here either, so I always have to sub Applejack when calvados is called for as well. Depending on whether it is the base spirit or the modifying agent, I might add a bit of good brandy to the mix as well to try to approach some of the depth the calvados would bring.

Is your Applejack the normal 80-proof or are you lucky enough to get the high-octane Laird's Bonded up your way?

80 proof. I didnt really look that hard though. I was happy enough to get this at the strip mall liquor store near my house on a snowy eve. I considered subbing brandy but I wanted to try the Applejack.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just drank an Alpha King without feeling the awful stomach ache that can come with massive hoppy beers. This beer was undrinkable to me a couple weeks ago. I'm basically pounding this by my standards.

G&T a hop head? Could it be?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 07:05 AM)
Two more days until I can partake in some Spotted Cow. I gotta bring home a case this time.

I accidentally forgot the spotted cow I got at home. I am not happy.

Went to a beer event that featured 19(!!) Dogfish Head beers on tap. Oak aged Burton Baton and a 12% brown ale were outstanding. They also had an imperial pilsner that puts the Sam Adams attempt to shame. The Shelter Pale ale keg was supposedly the first one to ever make it down to Florida and the beer had a very good grainy malt backbone to it that I've never tasted in a Dogfish beer before. Chicory stout and a very nice barleywine as well.

I also got a few sips of the Midas Touch, Red & White, Black & Blue, and Sa Tea that I hadn't tried on draft before.

I did not get a chance to try an 18% dark beer that was gone in the first two hours of the event.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
Went to a beer event that featured 19(!!) Dogfish Head beers on tap. Oak aged Burton Baton and a 12% brown ale were outstanding. They also had an imperial pilsner that puts the Sam Adams attempt to shame. The Shelter Pale ale keg was supposedly the first one to ever make it down to Florida and the beer had a very good grainy malt backbone to it that I've never tasted in a Dogfish beer before. Chicory stout and a very nice barleywine as well.

I also got a few sips of the Midas Touch, Red & White, Black & Blue, and Sa Tea that I hadn't tried on draft before.

I did not get a chance to try an 18% dark beer that was gone in the first two hours of the event.

Have you seen the TV show that Dogfish has been doing? It follows a somewhat boring pattern (same plot, more or less, every episode), but there's some interesting stuff there too.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 03:20 AM)
Rogue Dead Guy Ale is skyrocketing up my favorite beers list. I introduced it to about 10 people today and they all loved it.

I have to try that. I love the style but whenever I go to the beer store I completely forget about it.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 02:20 AM)
Rogue Dead Guy Ale is skyrocketing up my favorite beers list. I introduced it to about 10 people today and they all loved it.

I bought some last night and really liked it as well. I bought Allagash White too, but haven't tried it yet. I have a feeling that I will like that one a little better though. That is more of my style.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 14, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
Have you seen the TV show that Dogfish has been doing? It follows a somewhat boring pattern (same plot, more or less, every episode), but there's some interesting stuff there too.

I have yet to catch Brewmasters, actually, but it's on my list of things to catch up with. Several beer friends have been watching it and say it's worth a look.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 15, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
I have to try that. I love the style but whenever I go to the beer store I completely forget about it.

Dead Guy ALE(!) is delicious but it comes off as nothing like a traditional maibock no matter what the brewer and the review sites will have you believe.

I have had three exceptional beer nights at three different places and I did next to nothing to pull strings to make it happen.

Thursday night was the Dogfish Head night out at a beachside beer bar that we quite accidentally walked into. Then Friday was my daughter's birthday and a work travel day had me up in near the place where she and my wife wanted to meet me out for dinner so I had a couple of hours to kill at a new World of Beers location I hadn't made it out to yet. 36 tap and 300+ bottles. I had a Draft Rodenbach Flemish red sour, a bottled Duchesse De Bourgogne Flemish sour, and a bottled Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Wild.

Then yesterday after spending the morning and much of the afternoon helping my daughter at school with her science fair project my wif called to let me know that a school friend of hers she hadn't seen in 10 years was in town and made plans to meet up with them at the third good beer bar in the area for dinner, drinks, and watching football. Enjoyed more Rodenbach draft, a draft Blanche de Bruxelles, a taste of the last of a keg of He' Brew Vertical Jewbelation (They had a side-by-side tasting of six Jewbelations and the Verticl earlier in the week that I missed), a Cigar City Jai Alai, and another bottled Flemish sour that I'd never seen before and can't remember the name of.

Coming home later last night I was sort of let-down to crack a Meantime IPA I had really been looking forward to. Overcarbonated and a bit oxidized, it became more drinkable on warming and offgassing a bit, but it still was a disappointment.

I now have two hardcore crunch days to get a lecture put together to give to about 700 people for my institute's public lecture series, so I don't think I'll be having nearly as much beer fun for a while :-(

Jim, that is awesome beer awesomeness. Wild ales are so amazing and I really want that Rodenbach if I ever find it. Flemish sours are a favorite but I want more more authentic than Ommegang Zuur.

Meanwhile, I have been trying my hand at syrups, and orgeat is the current experiment. I made a batch last week that was very strong on almond flavor. That's not a bad thing but I found it over powering. It lost that mysterious quality and just became a pile of almonds in my drink. I also got poor yield trying to strain it. So this time, I increased the water and sugar by 50% and I will reheat the batch to help loosen it up. I hand chopped this batch of almonds to make straining easier. So far it tastes nice but it has 2-3 hours to sit.

I don't have rose water, but I have orange blossom water which i used in making a damn fine grenadine. I think those are more aromatic anyway. Anyway, it's a fun hobby.

Just got back from a weekend trip to Belgium, all I can say is WOW. Truly a fantastic beer country, especially in Bruges. My favorite that I had was one called Bons Voeux, exceptional taste, smooth, and 9.5% to boot. Bruges Zot is also very good.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 08:10 PM)
Best Mai tai I've ever had. Home made orgeat ftw.

Yep, homemade orgeat makes all the difference in the world. I'm ashamed to say it took me about three years after discovering the joys of a real mai tai before I ventured into making my own orgeat. You are a quick study.

:drink

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)
Yep, homemade orgeat makes all the difference in the world. I'm ashamed to say it took me about three years after discovering the joys of a real mai tai before I ventured into making my own orgeat. You are a quick study.

:drink

I have no access to any remotely decent orgeat (or any other syrups) without buying online. Then, if it sucks, I'm stuck. I actually really enjoy cooking it and playing with recipes. Plus, I might have a side business on my hands if I'm good at it.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 04:03 PM)
I have no access to any remotely decent orgeat (or any other syrups) without buying online. Then, if it sucks, I'm stuck. I actually really enjoy cooking it and playing with recipes. Plus, I might have a side business on my hands if I'm good at it.

I totally enjoy doing the homemade syrups and extracts as well. If I get really daring I might try my hand at some different bitters as well.

As for small business opportunities, both Trader Tiki and Small Hands started out as home stovetop operations. either of those lines is sold anywhere near me or I might be tempted to use their stuff and not DIY.

This week, Draft Magazine released its list of "America's 100 Best Beer Bars," and five bars from the Chicagoland area made the list:

The Map Room, 1949 N. Hoyne Ave

Don't be overwhelmed by this travel-themed bar's more than 300 beer offerings, because a friendly bartender will help you make a decision. Draft mag loves that the Map Room offers beer classes and international nights as well.

Firkin, 515 N. Milwaukee Ave., Libertyville, Ill.

"Firkin might stand outside Chicago's city line, but its beer selection's anything but suburban," says Draft mag. Firkin offers a variety of 55 bottles and 30 taps.

Hopleaf, 5148 N. Clark St.

This bar offers more than 35 craft beers on draft and a whopping 250bottles from North America, Belgium and the rest of Europe. Hopleaf's food menu is a winner as well.

Sheffield's, 3258 N. Sheffield Ave.

With 38 taps, one of the best beer gardens in town and great barbecue--what's not to like? Every Wednesday night, stop by to see Bob Egan working the beer school bar. Egan allows customers to taste new local and seasonal brews.

Local Option, 1102 W. Webster

Draft says the Local Option has "how-the-heck-did-they-get-them collections of Mikkeller, Three Floyds and Bluegrass limited releases."

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 25, 2011 -> 10:19 PM)
I totally enjoy doing the homemade syrups and extracts as well. If I get really daring I might try my hand at some different bitters as well.

As for small business opportunities, both Trader Tiki and Small Hands started out as home stovetop operations. either of those lines is sold anywhere near me or I might be tempted to use their stuff and not DIY.

The one problem is the pile of laws that make doing this on a small scale difficult. Being a lawyer, I can sort through a lot of this on my own and at no expense other than time, but it is still intimidating. Now I know why this country loves small businesses. Even if it fails, the owner will be putting thousands of dollars into the economy.