The Finer Things In Life

knightni

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 08:29 PM)
I'm pretty sure that the second link is all passion fruit.

At the very least those are new resources I never thought about and can probably order it. So Thank you for that.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
Is Arctic Panzer Wolf a one-off or a annual brew? I wish we got Three Floyds here.

Having taken my beer break yesterday, I'm back in Rumland, trying my hand at infusing my own fresh coconut rum for the first time. Tired of the artificial taste of every single commercial coconut rum out there.

I'll let you know how it turns out in two weeks when it's ready.

That's a cool experiment I never thought about.

Panzer Wolf is annual to the best of my knowledge. Chicago is the only major city that gets 3 Floyds which is really a shame. Of course, I think they over hop everything, but they have driven me to the hop side over the last month.

I had a Founders Old Curmudgeon a couple nights ago and didn't like it. I used to love Old Ales but now I find them one note without that hop hit. I will be craving Belgians soon.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 08:39 PM)
That's a cool experiment I never thought about.

Panzer Wolf is annual to the best of my knowledge. Chicago is the only major city that gets 3 Floyds which is really a shame. Of course, I think they over hop everything, but they have driven me to the hop side over the last month.

I had a Founders Old Curmudgeon a couple nights ago and didn't like it. I used to love Old Ales but now I find them one note without that hop hit. I will be craving Belgians soon.

If you haven't had Dogfish Head's Burton Baton yet, make sure to seek that out. A blend of old ale and double IPA, will give you the old ale character with more tan a little hop hit. Great, great dang beer.

An up side to having bought a fresh coconut to macerate the pulp for the rum infusion is that I now have fresh coconut water to mix with. I've waxed on here before about the simple beauty of Ron del Barrilito 2 star PR rum and coconut water, but usually I just make due with the canned stuff. Tonight it is Bacardi 8 (the ONLY Bacardi product that I really think is exceptional) and fresh coconut water, with just a touch of simple syrup to sweeten. What a wonderful, simple, purist rum drink. The rum flavors shine through nicely but the coconut water balances so well and makes for a nice long drink.

I have read that gold PR rum and coconut water is a traditional drink enjoyed by wizened old men playing dominoes in the hot Puerto Rican sun. man, those guys know a good drink when they taste one.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
If you haven't had Dogfish Head's Burton Baton yet, make sure to seek that out. A blend of old ale and double IPA, will give you the old ale character with more tan a little hop hit. Great, great dang beer.

An up side to having bought a fresh coconut to macerate the pulp for the rum infusion is that I now have fresh coconut water to mix with. I've waxed on here before about the simple beauty of Ron del Barrilito 2 star PR rum and coconut water, but usually I just make due with the canned stuff. Tonight it is Bacardi 8 (the ONLY Bacardi product that I really think is exceptional) and fresh coconut water, with just a touch of simple syrup to sweeten. What a wonderful, simple, purist rum drink. The rum flavors shine through nicely but the coconut water balances so well and makes for a nice long drink.

I have read that gold PR rum and coconut water is a traditional drink enjoyed by wizened old men playing dominoes in the hot Puerto Rican sun. man, those guys know a good drink when they taste one.

My guess is those old men could drink my ass under several tables. I might have to give it a shot even if coconut isn't my favorite flavor...unless there is a pile of sugar involved.

Capping off the night with a Dark Horse Too milk stout. Not as good as Left Hand milk stout, but it's good nevertheless.

Edited by G&T

The nightcap here is a "Zombie a la Puerto Rico" as posted recently on the Dr. Bamboo cocktail blog. Not a bad zombie interpretation, and it it gives me a good reason to open the new bottle of Smith and Cross Jamaican pot still rum I just picked up. The Bacardi 8 plays nice in this one too, and the papaya juice, apricot brandy, and powdered sugar are all nice flourishes to the drink.

Tasty and high-octane for sure, and this version is more rum-forward than either the Speivak or the Donn Beach version from Sippin' Safari. I'd like to try the tree of them side-by-side-by-side, but I don't think I'd survive the encounter!

With the kids, we invariably have our Valentine's dinner at home. Waiting on Carabba's takeout and enjoying a decent negroni, even though they insist on serving it on the rocks rather than strained up.

I'm watching just how badly they butcher the Mai tai the guy next to me just ordered.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)
With the kids, we invariably have our Valentine's dinner at home. Waiting on Carabba's takeout and enjoying a decent negroni, even though they insist on serving it on the rocks rather than strained up.

I'm watching just how badly they butcher the Mai tai the guy next to me just ordered.

I always have Valentines at home. Just cooked up some strips with blue cheese. For beverage, champagne cocktails. 1 sugar cube, 2 dashes of bitters and fill with champagne. These things are awesome.

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
I always have Valentines at home. Just cooked up some strips with blue cheese. For beverage, champagne cocktails. 1 sugar cube, 2 dashes of bitters and fill with champagne. These things are awesome.

VERY NICE drink selection.

We'll be having a bottle of Rosa Regale for dessert along with our tiramisu, so that will be a 180 from the nicely bitter Negroni.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 07:03 PM)
VERY NICE drink selection.

We'll be having a bottle of Rosa Regale for dessert along with our tiramisu, so that will be a 180 from the nicely bitter Negroni.

That's the way to class it up. Casablanca is on TCM tonight. Is it bad that I'm the one excited about that?

So after a week long search, I have tracked down Goya passion fruit pulp and whipped up some syrup. I think I went too heavy on the passion fruit. I didn't know for sure the recipe so I made 1:1 syrup and added 2 cups pulp. It certainly tastes good but it might be a bit tart for a drink. I can always cut it with some extra syrup. I will let y'all know the results.

I mixed up a hurricane and my impression is that it is far more tart than the only other Hurricane I've ever had (at Bryant's in Milwaukee). However, this is more lemon forward than anything else. That doesn't make it bad, but I understand why so many recipes call for grenadine. I would consider adding .5 oz of turbinado syrup to this next time. Of course, it could be that my passion fruit syrup is too tart to begin with.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 10:22 PM)
Natural fruit and fruit pulp tends to be preserved with sour-tasting things like lemon juice or citric acid.

You might want to make a small amount of sugar syrup to add to it. Like 1/3 cup.

It's frozen so would would another preservative be needed?

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 09:07 PM)
So after a week long search, I have tracked down Goya passion fruit pulp and whipped up some syrup. I think I went too heavy on the passion fruit. I didn't know for sure the recipe so I made 1:1 syrup and added 2 cups pulp. It certainly tastes good but it might be a bit tart for a drink. I can always cut it with some extra syrup. I will let y'all know the results.

You are spot on with the ingredients and it is probably. Just the ratios that need tweeking. Beachbum Remixed gives very straightforward suggestions to do a volumetric 1:1 of thawed passionfruit pulp and simple syrup. You didn't say how much simple you used, but unless it was volumetrically equal to the 2 cups of pulp yiu used, yeah, it will probably be a bit tart.

on to the Hurricane. . Did you go with the Beachbum recipe of 4 oz Coruba + 2 oz lemon juice + 2 oz passionfruit syrup? If so, I would say do not hesitate to toss in an additional 1/4 - 1/2 oz good homemade grenadine. I typically do that and it yields a very drinkable! Very potent hurricane.

If you want a top notch hurricane that is not so heavy on the dark rum, seek out the recipe Chuck Taggert posted on his Gumbo Pages blog several years ago. until I got Jeff Berry's version this was my go-to hurricane.

I have honestly been trying to tweak the perfect hurricane for a while now, and I don't think I'm quite there yet.

The interwebs steered me wrong. I did 1 cup syrup to 2 cups pulp based on a NYT article that said it was adapted from Remixed. So I will just dilute with syrup.

Unfortunately I don't have coruba here, so I used VX but in those ratios. The drink wasn't that bad and was actually refreshing, but it's not the drink I'm looking for.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 18, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)
Because natural fruit juice is not sweet enough by itself for syrup.

No I mean why would citrus be added? Generally it is a preservative for fruit but if it is being frozen it shouldn't be needed, right?