The Finer Things In Life

knightni

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)
So here's the beer lineup we presented at the cancer research Belgian Beer benefit event I co-hosted yesterday:

• Palm Ale (a "gateway" beer for those new to Belgians)

• Blanche de Bruxxelles witbier

• Westmale Tripel — the original Trappist pale tripel

• Chimay Red — we did Cinq Cents last time around and wanted something not as big as the Blue

• Malheur 10º — An AWESOME beer I had never had before last night

• Brooklyn Local 2 — wanted to showcase one American interpretation

We complemented the beers wit cheese and meat plates and Lindman's framboise sorbet I made that went over very well.

We knew we would challenge some tastebuds of some of the more pedestrian beer drinkers but I think we actually tickled a lot of tongues with such an array of offerings.

What do y'all think?

Very nice selection. I haven't had them all myself but you covered a wide group of styles with choices that are more than just "fruity".

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 01:07 PM)
That is the Guinness Gods punishing you for only having one.

:D

I was actually starting my second one when my dog jumped up and knocked it over. A full glass of beer everywhere. So I think that was the Gods stopping a major mistake.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 09:03 PM)
finally got my hands on some Bulleit bourbon.. Very very quality stuff.. 10 dollars cheaper than Templeton Rye as well, cant go wrong with this stuff. Thanks for the suggestion Jim! :headbang

Definitely agree it is a bargain at its price point. Glad you found it. :headbang

If you have ever had bourbon cocktails that came off as a little too sweet, revisit them with the Bulleit. it usually lends a dry and crisp finish to the cocktails that don't quite come together with KY bourbon.

Now if you want a real bargain in a traditional rye, go find some Old Overholt. A better mixer than sipper, Overholt still has a great rye flavor profile. two years ago you could get it for about $11. With rye's recent popularity (of which I wholly approve), it may set you back as much as $16 now, but it's still well worth a try at that price.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
So here's the beer lineup we presented at the cancer research Belgian Beer benefit event I co-hosted yesterday:

• Palm Ale (a "gateway" beer for those new to Belgians)

• Blanche de Bruxxelles witbier

• Westmale Tripel — the original Trappist pale tripel

• Chimay Red — we did Cinq Cents last time around and wanted something not as big as the Blue

• Malheur 10º — An AWESOME beer I had never had before last night

• Brooklyn Local 2 — wanted to showcase one American interpretation

We complemented the beers wit cheese and meat plates and Lindman's framboise sorbet I made that went over very well.

We knew we would challenge some tastebuds of some of the more pedestrian beer drinkers but I think we actually tickled a lot of tongues with such an array of offerings.

What do y'all think?

I have some Palm and Westmale Tripel in my fridge right now :cheers Palm is a decent beer, nothing too special but better than your standard beer. Westmale is pretty damn good and well respected.

Im going to keep an eye out for some the other beers when I go back to Belgium in about 3 weeks.

Throughout the week I took advantage of the Belgium beer sale at the grocery store here and currently have this list:

Tried:

• Westmalle Tripel
  • Westmalle Dubbel These two have been some of my favorites, strong yet smooth.
  • Jupiler The macro beer of Belgium, better than Bud but not a great choice and not the cheapest still. If you go this route you may as well buy the available generic store and Euro Shopper brands, which cost between .40-.50 euro per .5L can.
  • Palm Another cheaper Belgian, it's a good choice for those who are looking for a mid-level beer but don't want store brand.
  • Duvel One of my favorite beers overall, great taste and incredibly smooth. I will smack anyone who does a Duvel Challenge because that would be a waste of such a fine beer.
  • Stella Artois - Not the best Belgian beer, but still a very good Pale Lager. At under .80 euro for .5L cans on sale, can never go wrong with this selection.

To Try:

La Chouffe

Mc Chouffe

Kasteel Dubbel

Kasteel Tripel

Maredsous Tripel

I believe the lowest alc % is 8% for the beers I have yet to try, unfortunately I am waiting for my brother to arrive to try them with me so I'll be waiting impatiently. Luckily I have some extras to drink beforehand.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 09:03 PM)
finally got my hands on some Bulleit bourbon.. Very very quality stuff.. 10 dollars cheaper than Templeton Rye as well, cant go wrong with this stuff. Thanks for the suggestion Jim! :headbang

Don't know if y'all know this but here: http://blog.timesunion.com/dowdondrinks/bu...e-whiskey/6202/

I had two draught beers this evening after work that were new to me an both very good. The first was Lost Coast 8 Ball, a bourbon barrel aged stout with lots of great rich vanilla bean and mocha notes in it. The second was Brooklyn Brewing's Monster Ale from their draught-only Brewmaster's Reserve collection. Very fruity and estery for a barley wine but not at all unpleasant. The fruitiness actually sort of reminded me of the fresh ale esteriness that the original Pete's Wicked Red used to have.

Later in the evening I am home trying to cut out a few calories in my eating and — gasp! — in my drinking as well. The last couple of nights I have gone with simple 2:3 gin and tonics with Boodles London Dry gin and a generous lime squeeze and they have been quite satisfying. My penchant for indulging in sugary and rich drinks is certainly a downfall when I'm trying to diet, since I'd much rather deny myself a big meal rather than a good drink.

It occurred to me this evening that I have never actually made a mai tai with J. Wray and Nephew overproof rum. Rectified that situation by shaking up a classic ratios mai tai with J Wray and Appleton V/X, homemade orgeat, and Clement Creole Shrub instead of curacao to keep a little Martinique rhum funk in the mix.

Not bad at all. The lack of any overly heavy rum lets all the flavors come through nicely. It's somewhat reminiscent of a high-octane version of a Trader Vic Menehune Juice which is basically a mai tai made with light rum.

Man, the love of the rum drinks is going to continue to make this dieting thing tough.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 11:02 PM)
I had two draught beers this evening after work that were new to me an both very good. The first was Lost Coast 8 Ball, a bourbon barrel aged stout with lots of great rich vanilla bean and mocha notes in it. The second was Brooklyn Brewing's Monster Ale from their draught-only Brewmaster's Reserve collection. Very fruity and estery for a barley wine but not at all unpleasant. The fruitiness actually sort of reminded me of the fresh ale esteriness that the original Pete's Wicked Red used to have.

Later in the evening I am home trying to cut out a few calories in my eating and — gasp! — in my drinking as well. The last couple of nights I have gone with simple 2:3 gin and tonics with Boodles London Dry gin and a generous lime squeeze and they have been quite satisfying. My penchant for indulging in sugary and rich drinks is certainly a downfall when I'm trying to diet, since I'd much rather deny myself a big meal rather than a good drink.

I love a good gin and tonic. So crisp and refreshing. Can't have more than about 2 without the juniper overpowering my taste buds, but that's about the right amount to drink anyways. It just reminds me of spring and summer.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 05:25 AM)
I love a good gin and tonic. So crisp and refreshing. Can't have more than about 2 without the juniper overpowering my taste buds, but that's about the right amount to drink anyways. It just reminds me of spring and summer.

Such a simple drink to make, yet so many places get it wrong. And usually it's not the gin they screw up on since any good London dry can work. It's that awful carbonated soda water from the bar gun that is usually used instead of real tonic water with quinine. Without the quinine bitterness to balance the botanicals in the gin the drink just does not come together.

For most of my adult life I was pretty sure I didn't like gin and tonics because I'd never been served a proper one.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 07:22 AM)
I could drink Guinness here in London all day.

That would be tragic if it kept you from drinking as much real ale as you can while in England — and this is coming from the biggest Guinness fan you will ever meet.

Since I have to live vicariously through you while trying not to be too jealous, lift a pint or two for me. :drink

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 06:32 AM)
That would be tragic if it kept you from drinking as much real ale as you can while in England — and this is coming from the biggest Guinness fan you will ever meet.

Since I have to live vicariously through you while trying not to be too jealous, lift a pint or two for me. :drink

I unfortunately haven't seen too many local ales at the bars we have hit up, besides the popular ones such as Carlsberg, Stella, etc. And since Guinness is so much better here I figured I would order it more often, but I did give the local brews a shot when I saw them.

Hoping to see more in Scotland starting tomorrow!

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)
I unfortunately haven't seen too many local ales at the bars we have hit up, besides the popular ones such as Carlsberg, Stella, etc. And since Guinness is so much better here I figured I would order it more often, but I did give the local brews a shot when I saw them.

Hoping to see more in Scotland starting tomorrow!

Before my wife and I went to England I had a recurring nightmare about going and not being able to find Real Ale in any pub I went to. It was horrific!! :lolhitting

Fortunately that was not the case when we finally got there. I'm very surprised to hear the clubs and bars you've hit up aren't serving up any any cask ale. Certainly that won't be the case in the traditional pubs.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)
Before my wife and I went to England I had a recurring nightmare about going and not being able to find Real Ale in any pub I went to. It was horrific!! :lolhitting

Fortunately that was not the case when we finally got there. I'm very surprised to hear the clubs and bars you've hit up aren't serving up any any cask ale. Certainly that won't be the case in the traditional pubs.

I tried one named Abbot, and there was an IPA there but it was only 3.6% alc, and that just seemed like an unreasonably low % for an IPA. I just didn't want to spend 5 pounds on a beer like that when I had Guinness for 3.50 pounds.