The Finer Things In Life

knightni

Had a Belgian beer tasting night with a friend and my dad on Friday, I was in heaven with that stuff.

Also, Jim thanks for that recommendation of the El Jimador tequila, I bought a bottle of it and its almost gone already. My dad, friend, and myself did some major damage to it this weekend, fantastic stuff!

Enjoying a homemade margarita right now:

6 oz fresh squeezed lime juice

2 oz Triple Sec (didn't have cointreau)

4 oz tequila

shake in ice and we're splitting that in two glasses. Yumm!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went up to northern Michigan this weekend to hang out with my friend before he moves to Georgia. His father is quite the connoisseur. He's actually a member in some sort of crazy absinthe club and I was lucky enough to let him open the liquor cabinet for me and he did not disappoint.

Some of the things I tried included 4 different homemade ($200/bottle) batches of absinthe. I also got the full loushing experience and I'm pretty damn good at it. Learned a lot about TA Breaux, the history of absinthe and tried Nouvelle-Orléans Absinthe Supérieure, among other things, which was spectacular.

Tried Chartreuse for the 1st time, and that might have been the most exotic tasting liquor ever. Something like 55% alc by vol and made of 130 different herbs. That will clear your sinuses up real quick.

Had another handmade liqueur called ROOT, which combined with coke, tasted just like root beer. Absolutely delicious.

Also was forced to take a shot of Fernet Branca, which was insane BUT tasted spectacular when chased with a Labatt Blue. :lol:

If anyone has the ingredients, I'd suggest a cocktail called The Last Word.

3/4 ounce gin

3/4 ounce fresh-squeezed lime juice

3/4 ounce maraschino liqueur

3/4 ounce green Chartreuse

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 12, 2011 -> 07:44 PM)
Had a Belgian beer tasting night with a friend and my dad on Friday, I was in heaven with that stuff.

Also, Jim thanks for that recommendation of the El Jimador tequila, I bought a bottle of it and its almost gone already. My dad, friend, and myself did some major damage to it this weekend, fantastic stuff!

Enjoying a homemade margarita right now:

6 oz fresh squeezed lime juice

2 oz Triple Sec (didn't have cointreau)

4 oz tequila

shake in ice and we're splitting that in two glasses. Yumm!

Glad you like the El Jimador (best tequla bargain out there I think), but DAMN you make your margaritas tart! 1:1:1 is about as tart as most people ever mix them, and more often it's more like 2 tequila with 1 each of triple sec and lime or even 3:2:1 with lime being the least by volume. I confess that even at 2:1:1 or 3:2:1 I'll often still add a very small amount (1 tsp. or less) of agave syrup to sweeten just a touch.

That said, if you have a heroic tolerance for tartnesss as you seem to do, mix those sour bombs up any way you like 'em!

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)
Glad you like the El Jimador (best tequla bargain out there I think), but DAMN you make your margaritas tart! 1:1:1 is about as tart as most people ever mix them, and more often it's more like 2 tequila with 1 each of triple sec and lime or even 3:2:1 with lime being the least by volume. I confess that even at 2:1:1 or 3:2:1 I'll often still add a very small amount (1 tsp. or less) of agave syrup to sweeten just a touch.

That said, if you have a heroic tolerance for tartnesss as you seem to do, mix those sour bombs up any way you like 'em!

Haha well my dad was making them, and I had no problem with the tartness, it actually was quite refreshing after a lot of outdoor work. We're pretty big fresh juice drinkers, so we possibly are more used to it.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 02:10 AM)
Went up to northern Michigan this weekend to hang out with my friend before he moves to Georgia. His father is quite the connoisseur. He's actually a member in some sort of crazy absinthe club and I was lucky enough to let him open the liquor cabinet for me and he did not disappoint.

Some of the things I tried included 4 different homemade ($200/bottle) batches of absinthe. I also got the full loushing experience and I'm pretty damn good at it. Learned a lot about TA Breaux, the history of absinthe and tried Nouvelle-Orléans Absinthe Supérieure, among other things, which was spectacular.

Tried Chartreuse for the 1st time, and that might have been the most exotic tasting liquor ever. Something like 55% alc by vol and made of 130 different herbs. That will clear your sinuses up real quick.

Had another handmade liqueur called ROOT, which combined with coke, tasted just like root beer. Absolutely delicious.

Also was forced to take a shot of Fernet Branca, which was insane BUT tasted spectacular when chased with a Labatt Blue. :lol:

If anyone has the ingredients, I'd suggest a cocktail called The Last Word.

3/4 ounce gin

3/4 ounce fresh-squeezed lime juice

3/4 ounce maraschino liqueur

3/4 ounce green Chartreuse

Wow, what an adventure in spirits!!

The lack of a suitable (and well-stocked) mentor like your friend’s dad is the main reason I have yet to really embark on a serious absinthe experience. Anisette is not my favorite flavor so I am hesitant to shell out $7o to $100+ for bottles I have never had a chance to try first. But I have only heard good things about Nouvelle-Orléans, so when I finally come across a bottle of that I will pick it up if I can afford it.

As for the Last Word Cocktail . . . it’s an absolute winner and one of the darlings of the classic cocktail revival. It makes me wish Chartreuse was not $50+ a bottle or this drink and others would be in more steady rotation at the home bar.

Now that you have done Fernet shots there is only one logical step after that . . . Malört!

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
Wow, what an adventure in spirits!!

The lack of a suitable (and well-stocked) mentor like your friend’s dad is the main reason I have yet to really embark on a serious absinthe experience. Anisette is not my favorite flavor so I am hesitant to shell out $7o to $100+ for bottles I have never had a chance to try first. But I have only heard good things about Nouvelle-Orléans, so when I finally come across a bottle of that I will pick it up if I can afford it.

As for the Last Word Cocktail . . . it’s an absolute winner and one of the darlings of the classic cocktail revival. It makes me wish Chartreuse was not $50+ a bottle or this drink and others would be in more steady rotation at the home bar.

Now that you have done Fernet shots there is only one logical step after that . . . Malört!

If Malort is more bitter than Fernet, then I don't know what to do with myself.

My buddy was comparing Fernet to the 1st ever batch of Robitussin that was then allowed to age for 100 years. :lol:

Fernet Branca is actually a great bitter herbal liqueur to mix with, but I would not jump right up to drink too much of it straight.

As for comparisons between Fernet and Malort, just look at the Malort Face Flickr Pool and see what you are potentially in for. . .

On the plus side, it is totally a Chicago drinking thing.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 13, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)
Fernet Branca is actually a great bitter herbal liqueur to mix with, but I would not jump right up to drink too much of it straight.

As for comparisons between Fernet and Malort, just look at the Malort Face Flickr Pool and see what you are potentially in for. . .

On the plus side, it is totally a Chicago drinking thing.

Apparently Fernet and Coke is a popular drink among the homosexual population of San Francisco?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 01:26 AM)
Apparently Fernet and Coke is a popular drink among the homosexual population of San Francisco?

I don't know about San Francisco, but 'Fernet con Coca' is probably the closest thing there is to a national drink in Argentina.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 14, 2011 -> 01:26 AM)

On further review I may have missed a joke about activities that leave a bad taste in one's mouth. If so, . . . Ewww. :P

SoxFan1's recent post about the Last Word cocktail did revive my interest in this great drink enough to send me to Robert Hess' Drinkboy website to brush up on the history of that particular cocktail. The visit reminded me what an excellent resource Robert's alphabetical recipe index is you want to have a quick reference for how to properly make several dozen largely outstanding cocktails.

In particular, it had me revisiting the Captain's Blood, which is possibly the perfect dark aged rum daiquiri in terms of proportions that really spotlight the añejo rum. It dials back the lime and sugar compared to a traditional daiquiri and adds a couple dashes of aromatic Angostura. Over the last couple nights I have spun this one up with El Dorado 5, Smith & Cross, Matusalem Solera 18 year, and Ron Pampero Aniversario and they have all been very very good. If you want to try mixing with some favorite sipping rums this is a great place to start.

My rekindled romance with the Captain's Blood continues this evening. Tonight I threw La Mauny 1749 rhum agricole into the mix as well as Cockspur 12 Year, one of my all-time favorites for sipping and upscale mixing.

The Cockspur 12 incarnation was excellent, and the La Mauny version was a sublime balance of sugar cane agricole funk, citrus and sugar — the same flavor combination that makes 'ti Punch such a wonderful drink.

I posted the link in the last post, but in case it didn't get followed, here is the super simple recipe for the Captain's Blood:

• 1 1/2 ounce aged and/or dark rum

• 1/4 ounce lime juice

• 1/4 ounce simple syrup

• 2 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.

For anyone who likes good rum, I can't imagine they would not love this one.

Yesterday I finally hunted down a case of the Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA "Deconstructed" that was discussed in this thread a couple of weeks ago. To refresh memories, this is a 12-pack with two bottles each of the regular latitude 48 IPA and then two bottles each of single hop versions of the beer utilizing each of the five hop strains used in Latitude 48 — German Hallertau Mittelfrueh, British East Kent Goldings, and and Ahtanum, Simcoe, and Zeus from Washington state's Yakima Valley.

This evening I started into the side-by-side tastings, but since my wife is busy with work I've had to go solo and won't get through the whole array — not that I would be able to taste the last couple of beers after all those hops even if I did. :lolhitting

I did enjoy the Hallertau, Kent, and now the Simcoe single hop editions tasted against the standard 5 hop version. What a cool experience to taste each of these staggeringly different hop varieties against the same malt backbone. The Hallertau lent a clean, subdued, and singular hop character. this is the noble hop used in Pilsner Urquell so if you are familiar with that beer you get an idea of the clean and crisp character of this Old World noble hop. Way more up my alley was the Kent version. Kent Goldiongs hops are very round and earthy and subdued and give an almost sweet bitterness if there is such a thing. They balance out a malt heavy beer but still let the malt shine through. I really liked this one.

I then jumped past the Ahtanum variety and went straight to the Simcoe (Ahtanum and Zeus are newer west coast hop varieties I am not familiar with and I want to sample both of these with a fresh palate in a couple of days). Mmmm Mmmm, I do love Simcoes. Like Cascades on steroids, guaranteed to please American pale hopheads.

One thing I have not been able to track down (though I have not yet looked exhaustively) is what the IBU specs of each of the single hop "Deconstructed" varieties are. I found an unconfirmed value of 55 IBUs for the standard version, but after trying three of the single hop varieties I want to say I don't think they are all brewed to the same IBU specs. OR. . . the timing of the hop additions is modified for each variety so that the overall bitterness achieved is in keeping with a range that best shows off each hop variety. IBUs are misleading that way. 55 IBUs of hops added to the kettle early in the boil will make a much more bitter beer than the same 55 IBUs added late in the boil. Conversely, the contribution of the early additions add almost nothing to hop flavor and aroma while late additions are all about flavor and aroma.

Regardless of what Sam Adams' strategy was here, I can tell you that these have all been very enjoyable beers so far. If you like American IPAs and run into one of these cases, definitely pick it up.

I picked up one of the first cases that Binny's had of it early in May (I believe it was then), and have tried about 3 of them so far too. Not the best IPAs out there but still damn good, and definitely worth a try if you like that style.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
No Deconstructedever cases ever came close to me, and I had to go to Orlando to find some. They currently have a small mountain of Deconstructed at the liquor store where I finally found it because nobody knows what it is.

Any suggestions of good places to dine/have a beer around Orlando? There's a solid chance I'll have a free day or two there in early July.

Whipped up margaritas tonight. Went with Cabo Wabo tequila since it was on sale. 2:1:1 recipe with a tsp of aguave nectar. Very smooth. How anyone can handle more lime than that is beyond me. The Cabo from my knowledge is a good brand. Wonderful pepper aroma with a hint of brown sugar. Reminds me of Wray overproof.

Of course these are hitting me like a ton of bricks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
Any suggestions of good places to dine/have a beer around Orlando? There's a solid chance I'll have a free day or two there in early July.

Orlando eating and drinking establishments can be fun, but there are few that are truly stellar. They know they don't have to be because the tourist base will keep them going even if they never develop a loyal local repeat customer base.

So, as far as fun places, I would steer you to the Point Orlando entertainment complex on I Drive near the Orange County Convention Center. BB Kings has good food and music there and Cuba Libre probably has e only decent rem selection in town.

At the opposite end of the I Drive tourist stretch is City Walk in the Universal theme park complex. Even though it is totally tourist-centered, almost all of the restaurants there are above average.

For something more laid back, Lake Eola Wine Company has good food, beer and wine.

Being an old fart, I have not been out to the hot bar in Orlando these days called Ember. it is in the vicinity of the Church Station Entertainment complex which is itself trying to make yet another return from the dead. if you make it out that way there are also several bars and food places along a pedestrian-only stretch of Wall street that are usually good. there has been a lot of turnover there over the years but there was a faux tiki bar there with outside seating that I think is still there where I had my very first encounter with cachacha and caiperhinas many years ago.

hope that gives some help at least.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 07:33 PM)
Whipped up margaritas tonight. Went with Cabo Wabo tequila since it was on sale. 2:1:1 recipe with a tsp of aguave nectar. Very smooth. How anyone can handle more lime than that is beyond me. The Cabo from my knowledge is a good brand. Wonderful pepper aroma with a hint of brown sugar. Reminds me of Wray overproof.

Of course these are hitting me like a ton of bricks.

Now that is a margarita I could drink all night. And yes, Cabo is a surprisingly very good line despite being mostly known as the brand that made Sammy Hagar insanely rich.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
Now that is a margarita I could drink all night. And yes, Cabo is a surprisingly very good line despite being mostly known as the brand that made Sammy Hagar insanely rich.

I took the aguave suggestion from you. I sampled it without and it was very bitter. My wife couldn't handle it. I threw in a full teaspoon and it was perfect. I could always use more sweet, but that isn't the point of the drink.

Meanwhile, I've been trying my hand on the calvados cocktail. A drink that I feel like I should like, but I always regret making. I decided to up the calvados to 2 oz and drop the orange juice and cointreau to 1 oz a piece. Shaken, poured over rocks and added bitters until it tasted good. And, for me, it finally did. But it was still missing something. I added a dash of cinnamon to round out the flavor and it came together. I imagine nutmeg would work very well too. The aroma here is like apple pie and the flavor is, at first glance, similar. As it lingers, it devolves to the sour orange flavor that I usually taste in this cocktail. Something similar to eating fruit before it is ripe.

I find the ice a necessary because my Calvados is probably not the best quality. I bought it because I hadn't seen it elsewhere. I now know where to find better stuff. Here, however, the ice works to ease the sourness and helps the drink.

Still probably a drink I will continue to tinker with, but whenever I see the Calvados in the back of my cabinet I feel like I have to do something with it. But I always find this cocktail to be too orange heavy. I need a better apple balance. Perhaps a squeeze of lemon to clean up the alcohol and brighten the flavors? Cut back on the orange elements? This could be a favorite if I can get it right...

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 19, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)
I took the aguave suggestion from you. I sampled it without and it was very bitter. My wife couldn't handle it. I threw in a full teaspoon and it was perfect. I could always use more sweet, but that isn't the point of the drink.

Meanwhile, I've been trying my hand on the calvados cocktail. A drink that I feel like I should like, but I always regret making. I decided to up the calvados to 2 oz and drop the orange juice and cointreau to 1 oz a piece. Shaken, poured over rocks and added bitters until it tasted good. And, for me, it finally did. But it was still missing something. I added a dash of cinnamon to round out the flavor and it came together. I imagine nutmeg would work very well too. The aroma here is like apple pie and the flavor is, at first glance, similar. As it lingers, it devolves to the sour orange flavor that I usually taste in this cocktail. Something similar to eating fruit before it is ripe.

I find the ice a necessary because my Calvados is probably not the best quality. I bought it because I hadn't seen it elsewhere. I now know where to find better stuff. Here, however, the ice works to ease the sourness and helps the drink.

Still probably a drink I will continue to tinker with, but whenever I see the Calvados in the back of my cabinet I feel like I have to do something with it. But I always find this cocktail to be too orange heavy. I need a better apple balance. Perhaps a squeeze of lemon to clean up the alcohol and brighten the flavors? Cut back on the orange elements? This could be a favorite if I can get it right...

Cinnamon and/or nutmeg do sound like they would be good additions to this or any drink with calvados or applejack. But your note that you are bringing the Cointreau down to 1 oz. makes me wonder what recipe you were using that had it starting out so high. CocktailDB only calls for 1/4 oz, while Ted Haigh and Gary Regan call for 3/4 and 1/2 oz. respectively. Even where the 1930 Harry Craddock version calls for 1.5 oz, he also notes that the recipe was for six small servings so the ratio of calvados to Cointreau is 2:1 and the absolute amount in a single serving is only 1/4-1/2 oz.

Gary Regan's version also calls for lemon juice, and when mixed up that way the drink comes off very much like a Sidecar. When I did it up that way (subbing Laird's for want of a calvados), the drink was so Sidecar-esque that I went with a sugared rim on the glass to good effect.

Finally, you did not specify in your notes, but I am assuming you are using orange bitters in the Calvados Cocktail and not plain Ango, yes? All four of the recipes I consulted specify orange bitters exclusively for this one.

There are close to 90 recipes in the Cocktail DB for drinks made with Calvados, so if you want to give that neglected bottle a workout you should find plenty of inspiration there. The Atlas Cocktail made with Calvados and Demerara rum has caught my eye and I think I'll give this one a go in the near future.

Happy Mixing!