Official Boxing Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 08:05 AM)
I started this thread nearly two years ago. Are we even any closer to a Pacquiao/Mayweather fight?

Mayweather said during the press conference of his upcoming bout with Victor Ortiz, that he's ready to give fans the fights they want to see, and proclaimed "Pacquiao, you're next".

IMO his claims of Pacquiao's recent accomplishments (moving up to and winning titles in 8 different weight divisions, 106lbs - 154lbs), being suspect without the use of PED's has validity. People are saying he's using the blood test clause as a way to duck Manny, yet he has stated that Ortiz, Khan, and every future fight he signs must have USADA Olympic Style Testing (read: random blood and urine tests)

Please watch this video and form your own opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9FER_Ifo6E

Edited by Real

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What seems to be happening is Mayweather and Pacquiao will end up fighting each other a year or two from now as both are on the downside of their careers. I'd love for Victor Ortiz to give Mayweather problems, I just don't think he will. I think Mayweather is too slick defensively. I'm rooting for Ortiz though.

On a side note, I MAY have a chance to go to Vegas for Pacquiao - Marquez III. I've wanted to see a big fight in Vegas and may have the opportunity to do so. I don't give Marquez much of a shot as I think he is fading a bit, but their styles should make for an exciting fight, while it lasts. lol Their first two fights were amazing. I've watched them online a couple of times. I just think Manny is bigger now, too big and strong for Marquez. I hope everything falls into place for fight and my first trip to Vegas!

On a separate note, the PPV card for Mayweather - Ortiz is loaded. Unless they jack the price way up, it should be a definite buy for any boxing fan.

Also on the card is:

Erik Morales vs. Lucas Mathysse which should be a true battle. There will be much more punching than dancing in this fight. Morales is a three division world champion and is the last person to beat Manny Pacquiao (later avenged twice). He's 51-7 and looks to be a Hall of Famer. Mathysse is a pressure fighter that keeps coming. His only two losses were split decisions to Zab Judah and Devon Alexander, both slick, quick fighters. Morales will stay in front of him and go toe to toe.

Canelo Alvarez vs. Alfonso Gomez - While possibly not the most competitive fight on the card, this one is being simulcast from Los Angeles. Alvarez is the 20 year old red headed Mexican fighter that is undefeated (37-0) since turning pro at 15 or 16. Lopez' only loss since 2004 was to Miguel Cotto. Alvarez on his own would be a large PPV draw and is considered an icon in Mexico at age 20.

Jessie Vargas vs. Josesito Lopez - Vargas is a 22 yr old prospect that is 16-0 and Lopez is 29-3 and has faced much better competition. Should be a fight worth watching.

All four of these fights are scheduled to be on the PPV broadcast.

I remember seeing Canelo for the first time on the Mayweather/Mosley undercard, i love that kid.. he's a beast

Jessie Vargas too, being trained by Floyd's uncle Roger

Canelo is gonna rape Gomez, lol.. I remember watching Cotto destroy that kid a few years ago, Mathysse ...surprised he continues to fight over here, he's gotten screwed in his last 3 fights here

Maidana/Guerrero fight is off, Guerrero is injured supposedly

http://www.boxingscene.com/schaefer-robert...ight-off--42775

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer has announced that Robert Guerrero injured his shoulder in a sparring session which took place on Wednesday in Big Bear, California, and the scheduled fight with Marcos Maidana on August 27th in San Jose, California has been cancelled. Guerrero was going to make his junior welterweight debut. The fight card was going to be televised by HBO and heavyweight Seth Mitchell was scheduled to appear in the televised co-feature against Mike Mollo. "The card has unfortunately been cancelled. I hope that its going to be postponed and rescheduled. It was on track to selling out and it's very unfortunate. We obviously wish and hope that Robert is going to be well", Schaefer said. "I got a call around 9am this morning from [manager] Bob Santos, who is working with Robert Guerrero in training camp. Robert Guerreo injured his shoulder yesterday in sparring. It was at the point where it was numb. They tried to ice it. But it did not get better. He was unable to even put a jacket on." Schaefer doesn't know which shoulder got injured, but said the boxer is going to have an MRI taken later today and his camp is "afraid that it might be a torn rotator cuff" Editor's Note: Golden Boy Promotions Vice President Eric Gomez said the left shoulder of Guerrero was hurt.

Vernon Forrest Murder Trial: Jury Finds Ware Guilty

By Chris LaBate

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, a Fulton County jury found DeMario Ware guilty of felony murder and lesser charges in the shooting death of former world champion Vernon Forrest, 38, on July 25, 2009 in Atlanta’s Mechanicsville neighborhood. DeMario Ware had admitted to pointing a loaded gun at Vernon Forrest and taking the boxer’s gold championship ring and diamond Rolex watch.

But, the jury returned a not guilty verdict on the most serious count - malice murder - because Ware, 22, did not fire the gun that killed Forrest, but was convicted on charges of felony murder, armed robbery and possession of a gun during commission of a crime. He could be sentenced to life in prison on the felony murder charges.

On the night of the incident, Ware pointed a loaded gun at Forrest and took the boxer’s gold championship ring and diamond Rolex watch. Forrest produced his own handgun and chased Ware, who ducked into a nearby apartment building. As the boxer gave up the chase and returned to his car - Charman Sinkfield - one of Ware’s codefendants, allegedly shot Forrest twice in the back, then walked up to the fallen fighter and fired eight more shots before meeting a third codefendant, Jquante Crews, who was driving Ware’s car, to make an escape.

Mayweather vs Martinez Can Happen, Says Lou DiBella

By Mike Coppinger

Middleweight champion Sergio Martinez is taking somewhat of a stay-busy fight, as he will face lightly-regarded Darren Barker on Oct. 1 in Atlantic City.

In the barren middleweight division, there are no big fights for Martinez right now, but there are plenty of big fighters south at 147 and 154, and Martinez would certainly move down to junior middleweight for the right fight, according to Martinez’s promoter Lou DiBella.

“He can get down to ’54, but he really re-sculpted his body when he moved up (to 160) for Pavlik,” said DiBella. “He’s already seen [nutritionists], his most comfortable weight is right between ’54 and ‘60. So, he can go down to ’54, but below ’54, he hasn’t been there in years and years. And he’s not a young kid, at 36, shrinking down that far [is difficult].”

One such big fight Martinez that could be made at junior middleweight is with Floyd “Money” Mayweather, a fight DiBella would welcome.

“I think that Mayweather’s the only guy that I can see [taking the fight],” said the New York-based promoter. “Pacquiao’s too small and Floyd’s defense is so great, that Sergio would have problems penetrating it. So that’s the most interesting fight and I also think that it’s much, much more likely that Mayweather would fight Sergio than Pacquiao.”

DiBella see’s Mayweather-Martinez as a real possibility, but only if once again the biggest fight in boxing is unable to be made.

“I think the only way it’s possible is if they can’t get their s*** together and make Mayweather-Pacquiao.

QUOTE (Real @ Aug 18, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
Mayweather vs Martinez Can Happen, Says Lou DiBella

I'd love to see that fight. Mayweather in preparing for Ortiz has commented that he is willing to take on whoever they put in front of him. He's been a champion in 5 or 6 weight classes, but not junior middle. As Mayweather gets older it MAY get tougher to make 147. Then again, he is in incredible shape and doesn't let himself go when not fighting, so maybe not.

Mayweather - Martinez would be classic as both fighters use a lot of head movement, both have fast hands and both keep their hands fairly low. It would be interesting to see Martinez on the attach and Mayweather try to defend and counter.

Ortiz: I'm Going To Destroy Mayweather, Then KO Him

By Jhonny Gonzalez

WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz (29-2-2, 22KOs) is planning for a very physical fight when he steps in the ring with Floyd Mayweather Jr. (41-0, 25KOs) on September 17th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Ortiz is going to be patient, and take his time, by breaking Mayweather down round by round - until the knockout comes.

"The simple truth is, Mayweather has the difficult fight, not me. I'm going to destroy him, little by little, round by round, until the knockout," Ortiz told Edward Couich. "Mayweather is not someone that I had respect for when I was a kid. He was never one of my favorites. I knew that the day they put me in against him, I would finish his [undefeated] run."

"I think Mayweather has a few defeats already but they aren't on his record. Jose Luis Castillo and Oscar De La Hoya beat him. There have been a few [fighters] who had him hurt. Yes he was good and he was good at 130. But the day I arrived to 147, he was finished."

Ortiz's trainer, Danny Garcia, said they are not paying attention to the difference in age, or Mayweather's 16 months of inactivity, but he believes those issues will play a role in the fight.

"I'm not thinking about the ten years we have on Mayweather [24 to 34-years in age]. But when people are at the age of 23 to 26, they are at their strongest. Once you pass 30 to 33-years-old, you start to decline," Garcia said. "We're not thinking about his 16 months of inactivity, but obviously it's going to affect him. [inactivity] affects everyone. Why wouldn't it affect him?"

Floyd Mayweather Jr. facing lawsuit

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/68710...-vegas-shooting

LAS VEGAS -- Superstar boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. is facing a civil lawsuit from a pair of men who say he orchestrated a shooting attack on them two years ago outside a Las Vegas skating rink.

The lawsuit obtained Wednesday by The Associated Press accuses Mayweather, Ocie Harris and others of making threats since the attack.

Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions, said the undefeated boxer had nothing to do with the shooting or any of the alleged acts.

"As in most civil cases this is just another attempt to extort money," Ellerbe said.

"An educated observer would examine the background of these individuals and immediately question their credibility," he said.

A lawyer for Harris, who is accused of firing shots in the incident, was not immediately available for comment. Harris has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges in the shooting. His trial is scheduled for February.

Mayweather attorney Mark Ferrario said Mayweather looks forward to resolving the dispute in court but declined further comment.

Lawyers for Quincey Williams and Damien Bland said in the lawsuit filed Tuesday that they want Mayweather and his associates to stop contacting their clients, plus an unspecified amount of money for damages.

Robert Adams and Robert Eglet, the lawyers who filed the suit, were not available Wednesday because they were preparing for an unrelated trial, their office said.

Mayweather is undefeated in 41 fights and has won titles in five divisions. He currently is training for a Sept. 17 fight against Victor Ortiz.

According to police, Mayweather argued with Williams on the night of the shooting inside the Crystal Palace Skating Center. Police say the Aug. 23, 2009, incident started over a text message Williams sent Mayweather saying he hoped the boxer would lose his upcoming fight.

At the time, Mayweather was preparing to face Juan Manuel Marquez. Mayweather won that bout by unanimous decision.

Authorities have never accused Mayweather of firing shots and he has never been criminally charged in the case. Witnesses told police they saw Harris fire at least five shots at a BMW sedan with the two men inside after having earlier spoken with Mayweather. Neither man in the vehicle was wounded.

Mayweather later denied knowing Harris or having any knowledge of a shooting. But police said they linked the boxer and Harris through witnesses, surveillance videotapes and records seized when authorities served search warrants at Mayweather's home.

The lawsuit, which was first reported by the Las Vegas Review-Journal, said the men now live in "immediate and mortal fear" of being hurt by Mayweather and the other people they say are responsible for the shooting.

Williams told the Review-Journal last year that he used to work for Mayweather years ago, but quit because of pay.

"(Mayweather) feels like he's entitled to do whatever he wants and get away with it," Williams told the newspaper.

Mayweather has a history of court dealings.

He has been accused in a federal lawsuit alleging he defamed boxing rival Manny Pacquiao. Mayweather also faces felony charges stemming from a domestic argument and misdemeanor charges in other cases.

Pacquiao and Mayweather have come close to agreeing to terms on what likely would be the richest fight in boxing history, only for the discussions to repeatedly break down.

Mayweather has actually won most of his cases dealing with this type of nonsense, just another case of somebody trying to extort money from a wealthy athlete.

QUOTE (Real @ Aug 21, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
Ortiz: I'm Going To Destroy Mayweather, Then KO Him

Victor, Victor.... I'd love to see this happen, but I just don't see it right now. As much of an ass that Mayweather is, he's damned good and very difficult to fight. His fights aren't always pretty. I do think the one way to potentially beat him is to get physical with him and don't let him run. Get chest to chest and push him around a little. Floyd wants to box, not brawl. If Victor can make him uncomfortable physically, I think he has a chance. If not, Floyd will adapt and counter whatever Ortiz brings.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Aug 21, 2011 -> 08:58 PM)
Victor, Victor.... I'd love to see this happen, but I just don't see it right now. As much of an ass that Mayweather is, he's damned good and very difficult to fight. His fights aren't always pretty. I do think the one way to potentially beat him is to get physical with him and don't let him run. Get chest to chest and push him around a little. Floyd wants to box, not brawl. If Victor can make him uncomfortable physically, I think he has a chance. If not, Floyd will adapt and counter whatever Ortiz brings.

The only way to beat Floyd Mayweather (yeah, easy for me to say right?) is to fight an in-and-out style, throwing power shots and limiting your jab. Floyd eats guys who throw jabs alive, because unless you're a defense-first fighter (like Floyd, Sweet-Pea), when you throw your jab, you're wide open for counters. Notice when Floyd throws his jabs to the head or body, he pulls back immediately and goes back into his philly shell, or gloves up stance like when he fought Judah

As much as I think Floyd would beat Sergio Martinez on points, Sergio has the style that's perfect to give Floyd problems

Victor Ortiz has no chance of beating Floyd. I bet on fights, and this fight is NOT worth betting on, at least on what the odds are right now which last I checked... 7:1 Floyd by UD? I wonder what they are for Floyd by KO? That might be a better bet, because I think Floyd could "Ricky Hatton" Victor late in the fight

Donaire vs Narvarez Approved By HBO, Says Rivero

By Jhonny Gonzalez

According to Osvaldo Rivero, promoter for WBO super flyweight champion Omar Narvaez, HBO has approved his boxer as the opponent for WBC/WBO bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire. The fight is locked in for October 22nd, likely at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California, but Rivero says there is still a chance the fight could take place in Las Vegas.

Narvaez (35-0-2, 19KOs) will return after winning a unanimous decision over Colombian William Urina on June 11 at Luna Park. He suffered a left hand injury during the fight, but told his promoter the injury has fully healed. Donaire (26-1-0, 18KO) comes back from the stunning second round knockout of Fernando "KOchulito" Montiel on February 19 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

In case you were wondering, or forgot who Nonito Donaire is, he's the philipino-american who recently knocked the f*** out Fernando Montiel earlier this year, he also currently uses Victor Conte as his nutritionist (lol)

• 3 weeks later...