Official Boxing Thread

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Sep 18, 2011 -> 04:53 AM)
I'm not hating on Floyd but you are such a homer it's ridiculous lol. I'd actually root for Floyd if he ever fought Manny, but you have to show some objectivity.

show me where I'm not being objective

don't just post this nancy bulls***, man up, point s*** out.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're being absolutely absurd, Real. Nobody in their right mind has claimed that Ortiz was going to win that fight, it was quite obvious that Floyd was the better fighter but what he did was beyond cheap. Was it legal? Sure it was but that doesn't make it any less of a cheap shot.

And if you don't think Floyd is a punk all you have to do is watch his post match interviews, from the one with Merchant to the one where he said "this adds to my legacy," the guy is a f***in joke of a human being.

Unfortunately, there is only one guy on his level(and everyone has known this for years now) and I hope like hell Manny gets a chance at him. I'd pay good, GOOD money to see this ass hole get his ass kicked and I hope Pac Man gets his shot.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 18, 2011 -> 10:11 AM)
You're being absolutely absurd, Real. Nobody in their right mind has claimed that Ortiz was going to win that fight, it was quite obvious that Floyd was the better fighter but what he did was beyond cheap. Was it legal? Sure it was but that doesn't make it any less of a cheap shot.

And if you don't think Floyd is a punk all you have to do is watch his post match interviews, from the one with Merchant to the one where he said "this adds to my legacy," the guy is a f***in joke of a human being.

Unfortunately, there is only one guy on his level(and everyone has known this for years now) and I hope like hell Manny gets a chance at him. I'd pay good, GOOD money to see this ass hole get his ass kicked and I hope Pac Man gets his shot.

If you honestly think Pacquiao could beat Mayweather, then you don't know boxing, period.

The *only* reason the mass media has been flaunting this fight for as long as they have, is because the media hates Floyd Mayweather. They want nothing more than to see him lose. They look at Pacquiao like some sort of unstoppable force (despite the catchweights, cherrypicked fighters coming off devastating losses).

Pacquiao is TOO SMALL to beat Floyd Mayweather, I'm telling you this right now. Bookmark this post, because I'm gonna tell you exactly how that fight will go down next year:

pacquiao would try throwing his jab, landing at an almost nonexistant rate due to his size and reach disadvantage, and he'll try his trademark "leaping in angled-combinations", but floyd would just put all of his weight on the back foot (like he always does against aggressive/ambush fighters!) and pacquiaos combinations would serve only to gas himself out, because he'll be swinging at air.

Takes a lot out of a fighter when you're hitting air, floyd doesnt even need to be particularly elusive, he'll just hop backwards (as he, again, always does against guys who try to lunge in, as Pacquiao ALWAYS does) as Pacquiao jumps in (off balance like he always does), and Floyd will nail him with pull counters and straight right hands

Floyd will jab/pull counter him to the point of frustration

I'm telling you right now, and people here who truly know how to dissect fights can critique me here , Pacquiao's punch output will be very un-pacquiao like because he wont be able to effectively get close enough to Floyd without getting tagged

Floyd stops Manny late, thats how I see it going

There is zero chance that a smaller fighter beats Floyd Mayweather, he's too skilled, too smart, too fast, and a better boxer than anybody in the welterweight division. Let's be real, Pacquiao is a JWW. He killed these bigger guys because they allowed Pacquiao to nullify his reach disadvantage by charging forward, trying to be overly aggressive.

simply put, pacquiao will not be able to use all of his tools and abilities against a fighter like floyd and it'll be almost entirely due to their size and reach differences

pacquiao fans shouldn't even be mad about the fight turning out that way because it'll be almost completely due to size (of course, Floyd's brain also has a lot to do with it, he'll fight the correct "big mans fight", unlike what Shane did)

let me grab my flame suit, because I know it's coming

feel free to actually break down how you think the fight would go (please, don't ignore the reach advantage floyd will have fight-night, and don't ignore his uncanny ability to be able to position himself perfectly in the ring to land his straight right hand lead)

Edited by Real

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 18, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
Floyd fight Manny or retire!

zero chance Bob Arum lets Pacquiao fight Mayweather unless it's Manny's final fight before retiring. Bob Arum knows boxing, believe it or not, as despicable of a man as he is, he knows the sport. He knows Floyd will outbox Pacquiao. Floyd Mayweather isn't Miguel Cotto, he isn't Margarito, he isn't Shane Mosley, and he isn't Joshua Clottey

more twitter posts from pro. boxers:

Paulie Malignaggi

Quote:

Ortiz was KO'd bcuz HE made huge mistake that @FloydMayweather capitalized on. #EndOfStory #DoneTalking

Lennox Lewis

Quote:

When the ref says fight. It doesn't matter if he looks away. The fighters were instructed to fight not hug.

Antonio Tarver

Quote:

Protect yourself at all times, it's the first rule of boxing.

OmarHenry

Quote:

By the way the ending wasnt dirty protect yourself at all times Victor was looking for an excuse out and he found it. STOP HATING!

Audley Harrison

Quote:

That was warming into a great fight. Shame, but Victor was naive to drop his hands like that, protect yourself at all times is the rules.

Anthonydirrell

Quote:

Did what he had to do it protect yourself at all time

BrianViloria

Quote:

Once the referee says fight...put yo damn guard up!

Eddie Chambers

Quote:

Victor Ortiz should of never dropped his guard... & always know u are never friend while u in that ring!!

Steve Cunningham

Quote:

y'all call us warriors gladiators right, I agree with wut Floyd did its fight time not time to hug kiss and apologize

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 18, 2011 -> 09:14 PM)
If you honestly think Pacquiao could beat Mayweather, then you don't know boxing, period.

The *only* reason the mass media has been flaunting this fight for as long as they have, is because the media hates Floyd Mayweather. They want nothing more than to see him lose. They look at Pacquiao like some sort of unstoppable force (despite the catchweights, cherrypicked fighters coming off devastating losses).

Pacquiao is TOO SMALL to beat Floyd Mayweather, I'm telling you this right now. Bookmark this post, because I'm gonna tell you exactly how that fight will go down next year:

pacquiao would try throwing his jab, landing at an almost nonexistant rate due to his size and reach disadvantage, and he'll try his trademark "leaping in angled-combinations", but floyd would just put all of his weight on the back foot (like he always does against aggressive/ambush fighters!) and pacquiaos combinations would serve only to gas himself out, because he'll be swinging at air.

Takes a lot out of a fighter when you're hitting air, floyd doesnt even need to be particularly elusive, he'll just hop backwards (as he, again, always does against guys who try to lunge in, as Pacquiao ALWAYS does) as Pacquiao jumps in (off balance like he always does), and Floyd will nail him with pull counters and straight right hands

Floyd will jab/pull counter him to the point of frustration

I'm telling you right now, and people here who truly know how to dissect fights can critique me here , Pacquiao's punch output will be very un-pacquiao like because he wont be able to effectively get close enough to Floyd without getting tagged

Floyd stops Manny late, thats how I see it going

There is zero chance that a smaller fighter beats Floyd Mayweather, he's too skilled, too smart, too fast, and a better boxer than anybody in the welterweight division. Let's be real, Pacquiao is a JWW. He killed these bigger guys because they allowed Pacquiao to nullify his reach disadvantage by charging forward, trying to be overly aggressive.

simply put, pacquiao will not be able to use all of his tools and abilities against a fighter like floyd and it'll be almost entirely due to their size and reach differences

pacquiao fans shouldn't even be mad about the fight turning out that way because it'll be almost completely due to size (of course, Floyd's brain also has a lot to do with it, he'll fight the correct "big mans fight", unlike what Shane did)

let me grab my flame suit, because I know it's coming

feel free to actually break down how you think the fight would go (please, don't ignore the reach advantage floyd will have fight-night, and don't ignore his uncanny ability to be able to position himself perfectly in the ring to land his straight right hand lead)

First off, I never claimed that Manny would win but he's certainly the one person that has a shot. If the 2 do happen to fight, I'd probably look for a Floyd decision just like I do in all the rest of his boring ass fights. But I would love to see Manny beat the living f*** out of that punk and if you don't think that Pac has a chance then you're absolutely crazy.

All I'm going to say about the media scrutiny is that it's well deserved, Floyd brings absolutely EVERYTHING on himself. The guy is a f***in jackass and a moron.

And I like how you think you're the king s*** of boxing. Please, I grew up and trained with boxers and martial artists since I was 8 years old, so I know a thing or two about the sport. I suppose it's not a coincidence with your attitude that you're a Floyd fan.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 18, 2011 -> 10:38 PM)
First off, I never claimed that Manny would win but he's certainly the one person that has a shot. If the 2 do happen to fight, I'd probably look for a Floyd decision just like I do in all the rest of his boring ass fights. But I would love to see Manny beat the living f*** out of that punk and if you don't think that Pac has a chance then you're absolutely crazy.

All I'm going to say about the media scrutiny is that it's well deserved, Floyd brings absolutely EVERYTHING on himself. The guy is a f***in jackass and a moron.

And I like how you think you're the king s*** of boxing. Please, I grew up and trained with boxers and martial artists since I was 8 years old, so I know a thing or two about the sport. I suppose it's not a coincidence with your attitude that you're a Floyd fan.

quit f***ing crying, jesus christ

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 18, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
zero chance Bob Arum lets Pacquiao fight Mayweather unless it's Manny's final fight before retiring. Bob Arum knows boxing, believe it or not, as despicable of a man as he is, he knows the sport. He knows Floyd will outbox Pacquiao. Floyd Mayweather isn't Miguel Cotto, he isn't Margarito, he isn't Shane Mosley, and he isn't Joshua Clottey

I disagree, I will take Manny If fight happens I will be happy to make a wager with you REAL!

A few late observations...

1. Floyd was the better fighter as I thought he would be. I like Victor and hoped he could compete and give Floyd trouble, but I never felt he was truly ready for prime time.

2. The knockout punches were legal and cheap shots. As a fan of the sport, I felt cheap after watching how it ended? Utterly disappointed is the best I can describe it.

3. I don't know what the hell Ortiz was doing. By his reactions, my guess is he got caught up in the fight, the frustrations and adrenaline and did something stupid. Judging by his reactions afterward, I think he realized he did something stupid and freaked out, trying to apologize multiple times. That was his downfall. The best thing that could have happened to Victor is to get out of the round and let his corner calm him down. That didn't happen.

4. Floyd Mayweather may be the best boxer of all time. However, he will never be remembered as such because he is an ass. If I could watch Floyd box and never have to listen to him when he opens his mouth, I could enjoy it. But quite frankly, I can't bring myself to enjoy his brilliance. A dose of humility never hurt someone. Unfortunately, it may take jail for that to happen. Then again, his father did time and I don't see a whole lot of difference so who knows.

5. I'd love to see Floyd v. Manny. I do think Manny has a decent chance in that fight, but I certainly wouldn't be against Floyd. The fight I would really like to see is Floyd v. Sergio Martinez. Sergio could get down to 154. I think that would be an exciting fight and a challenge for Floyd. But that will never happen. Floyd and his people won't put Floyd in that position.

Am contemplating going to Vegas for the Pacquiao - Marquez fight. There are several different factors playing into the decision but I'd say its 50/50 at this point. I may even have an opportunity to work for the lighting crew, which would give me backstage access as well. A buddy of mine from college owns the company that does all the lighting design for many major events. He has had the last four Manny fights and was also scheduled to do the Super Sox finale in Atlantic City before it got postponed. Never been to Vegas period, let alone for a major fight. Biggest fight card I have ever been to in person was a ShoBox card outside of Memphis that included Fernando Guerrero, Shawn Porter and Mike Dallas Jr.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't venture into the sports threads much anymore for many reasons -- but when I did I happened across a random post by Real -- and after seeing his signature image/quote, it compelled me to come to the Boxing thread because I just *knew* he'd have had something incredibly biased to say about the previous Mayweather fight. And wow, I was not disappointed by what I read. It was like going through a wormhole of bias so long in order to arrive to this post...I feel almost drenched in a film of sticky vile bad bias that I just have to respond.

First and foremost, I'm a boxing fan, and have been for many many years. I have no favorite when it comes to Mayweather/Manny, I simply want the fight to happen, because boxing needs it. Boxing, in and of itself, is what I'm defending with this post, because boxing is near death due to the politics people like Mayweather employ (just one in a crowd of them) to keep themselves at the top. Others who have made such requests : Late 90's Crappy Tyson, and Bowe, who were both on the slippery slope of imminent failure.

First, some of the bias on display by said poster is beyond absurd. I get it, you love Mayweather. You disguise boxing smarts with the simplicity of going over what a boxer "tends to do" in highlight reels, yet you skip over every other nuance of a boxing match, because you didn't even realize it happened. Fact is, everything you point out is *so boxing basic* that anyone and everyone can point out the same thing(s) without an ounce of knowledge. The problem is, if you know these things, SO DO THEY, and they -- as professionals -- train differently for each individual they fight. I believe you know more about boxing than your posts have shown, and I believe if you were speaking about anyone OTHER than Mayweather, you would be a bit more even keeled.

If he [Mayweather] was so great, and could beat Manny so easily, as you've shown to believe in what has to be the most biased/worst way possible, than why has he continued ducking him for so long? Oh, and don't let my words be misconstrued, either...obviously you don't get to Mayweathers position without being an exceptional boxer, beyond exceptional even. But Mayweather needs to step up here instead of doing what he's doing, especially after that last debacle of a match that gave boxing ANOTHER black eye it didn't need. You can remain in denial all you want, but as a fan of what boxing once was, that fight is/was a joke...and did nothing but further tarnish the shell of a sport it is today. I know...I know, you'll mention the "non standard blood test", that Manny finally agreed to take to remove any/all excuses Mayweather continues to come up with and I also know you'll claim he didn't agree to take the test despite the fact that he eventually did. Also note, the test request is unreasonable and TOTALLY nonstandard across all governing bodies of boxing. As I mentioned above, Crappy Tyson and Riddick Bowe made similar requests when they were ultimately facing opponents they didn't think they could defeat. This is a clear indication that he's trying to do anything he can to "duck" the fight. The boxing commissions ALREADY have standard tests in place, albeit antiquated, they're the governing bodies...and if THEY [The Nevada Athletic Comission] want more stringent testing, then they need to start employing it across the board. Mayweather should have no right to request special tests while fighting in their league(s). Further, how come his other opponents didn't need to take these "special tests"? Just because FMJ "thinks" an opponent is cheating isn't his business, it's the boxing commissions business. That's what those commissions exist for. And if it's not...then why do we need them? This highlights an era in which the commission has little to no power over the boxers it oversees...and absolutely no REAL power in setting a contenders list. It's funny Manny continues to be allowed to fight by said commission...so long as he doesn't fight Mayweather. Because apparently Mayweather requires "special" treatment.

In the old days, Mayweather would have fought, or he would have been stripped of his title and ranking. Today, he's congratulated and defended by people like you and the commission while the sport suffers. And it's sad.

The actual answer as to why he won't fight Manny without these special requests is because he stands a VERY good chance at losing...and he knows it. And he knows that the longer he delays it the more money he can potentially make if/when it happens, and the excuse builds that he just got too old...so it's ok that he lost. Maywether represents everything that's wrong with the sport as we know it today. But don't get me wrong, Mayweather is not alone in this, he's just another using up the last few ounces of boxing good-will to the fans that the sport has left.

Whether you want to admit that or not, I don't know, nor do I care. I, personally, don't know who would win, I just know I'd love to see the fight before it's too late to matter. Don't make excuses for the guy just because you love him. I have no favorite for this fight, to be perfectly honest...because I've always been a fan of the heavyweight division (or lack-thereof these days), but that's besides the point. If he's so damn sure to win, why not just get it over with, take home the huge payday and tell the world, "I told you so!".

The entire world of boxing knows what a joke [his] that last fight was, and the fact you sit here trying to defend it reinforces you're complete lack respect for what the sport once represented. Was it illegal? No. Was it a total bingo hall bush league shot? Yes. And anyone that says otherwise probably hasn't seen a good boxing match...ever. Mostly because they're nearly impossible to find these days.

Maybe we should rename him Mayweather Spider Rico.

Edited by Y2HH

• 2 weeks later...