Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
My blackberry is ridiculous if I just use it for calls. The thing lasted like my entire honeymoon on two charges (10 nights). I stream Pandora all day and it still goes a full day and a half without getting to low.

I would go a 2 day business trip and not even bring a charger. It was fantastic. Now my iphone dies after a half day.

Verizon Wireless to re-brand as just Verizon:

We just got a hot tip that corporate Verizon Wireless employees are in the middle of a meeting which is a pre-cursor to Sunday’s store closures. You know, the store closures which never happen, but are happening in some areas today and throughout the rest of the company on Sunday.

So what’s the big news? Name change and no iPhone baby.

From what sounds like a pretty amped up webcast, Verizon Wireless has announced that as of Monday, they will just be “Verizon” without the Wireless tag. We were not given reasons as to the change, but it’s definitely coming.

Their new slogan will be “Verizon, Rule the Air!”

And the second part of the meeting (and most important to us) was to announce that they will not be interested in the iPhone 4 (as of now) and are putting full effort behind Android and the new lineup of Droid devices. From what I’ve gathered, the Droid X promo video that was shown at the launch was played again plus the announcement of an August release of the Droid 2.

They basically called it the “Summer of DROID.”

Lovin’ the sounds of Verizon backing away from iPhone rumors and sticking to the hottest mobile OS on the planet.

Update 10:03AM: We
re getting more info on the name change and it
s
loo
k
ing le
s
s
li
k
e a permanent name change and more li
k
e an adverti
s
ing adju
s
tment. What I mean by that i
s
the
Wirele
s
s
tag will ju
s
t be dropped in their new mar
k
eting campaign. The thought i
s
that the
s
ingle word
Verizon
appear
s
bigger and bolder than the 2-word combo of
Verizon Wirele
s
s
(Cheer
s
Tabe)

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 01:17 PM)
For those of you who are asking whether they should get an iphone or a droid phone, consider this: The line at every apple store and everywhere else that sells the iphone is a mile long today. How many lines have you seen for ANY other phone before?

TfYEQ.jpg

So Iphone OS4 although awsome in theory is complete crap for alot of people including me right now. I am presently downgrading back to 3.1.3 because for me and most of the other users out there are having complete issues with googlesynch (not me) and exchange sync (me). The phone simply cannot access exchange environments more than once a day at most. They need a fix fast because I dont think that many people can downgrade like I can.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 08:58 PM)
I don't know why these people didn't just order the damn thing online anyways. You get it earlier and you don't have to leave your house.

I'm sure most tried and couldn't get through.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
So Iphone OS4 although awsome in theory is complete crap for alot of people including me right now. I am presently downgrading back to 3.1.3 because for me and most of the other users out there are having complete issues with googlesynch (not me) and exchange sync (me). The phone simply cannot access exchange environments more than once a day at most. They need a fix fast because I dont think that many people can downgrade like I can.

I'm bothered that most apps aren't multitasking. I figured apps (especially radio apps) would be updated immediately, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
I don't think you had to get your order in on that first morning to get it by the 23rd or 24th...

No but you had to get it in that first day. I had a friend try for 5 hours and finally got through. Plenty of people never got the order in. Apple suspended pre-orders after the first day.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
No but you had to get it in that first day. I had a friend try for 5 hours and finally got through. Plenty of people never got the order in. Apple suspended pre-orders after the first day.

Oh wow...

Yeah, it took me about an hour and a half to get it in that morning.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 12:38 PM)
Oh wow...

Yeah, it took me about an hour and a half to get it in that morning.

Yeah I was able to accidentally place 2 orders in an hour at 6:30 eastern. Others couldn't get one. Crazy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 06:55 PM)

THere's no problem:

One MacRumors reader emailed Steve Jobs in a followup about the widely publicized iPhone 4 signal issues that have been reported across the web. In particular, rfbandit was asking about Apple's policy on giving free bumper cases to alleviate the issue. "I love everything about the phone except my signal issues", he wrote.

Steve Jobs reportedly replied immediately with:

There are no reception i
s
s
ue
s
S
tay Tuned.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
Iphone 4 just set a new sales record for Apple launches.

I really like mine, but the full experience won't be realized until a lot of people have them so you can really use the video calling.

I don't know anyone else who has one, so I haven't been able to do that yet.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:00 AM)
I really like mine, but the full experience won't be realized until a lot of people have them so you can really use the video calling.

I just picked up the new version of xcode so I can try to develop some aps. Maybe a soxtalk ap?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)

My fiance and a friend have them and facetime has not worked very well. I have yet to see it work where both phones are not on the same wifi connection (if that makes sense). We tested them at our apartment and it worked, but it won't work from our apartment to my work.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 11:04 AM)
My fiance and a friend have them and facetime has not worked very well. I have yet to see it work where both phones are not on the same wifi connection (if that makes sense). We tested them at our apartment and it worked, but it won't work from our apartment to my work.

What happens?