Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

Ok, so I've had the Incredible for around 2-3 months now and not had any issues. Recently I've been having issues with battery life. At first I was convinced it was just an app that was draining the battery on me. I deleted numerous apps, checked to see if it was the issue with the phone not going to "sleep" when idle, factory reset twice and still it won't hold a charge. I had it sit on the charger all night last night and it was at about 65% when I woke up this morning. By the time I got to work (40 minutes later) it was alreadf into the low 20% range.

Anyone encountered anything like this at all? I'm wondering if it's just a bad battery, the phone or something else. I'm tempted to take it in to the store tomorrow.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
Ok, so I've had the Incredible for around 2-3 months now and not had any issues. Recently I've been having issues with battery life. At first I was convinced it was just an app that was draining the battery on me. I deleted numerous apps, checked to see if it was the issue with the phone not going to "sleep" when idle, factory reset twice and still it won't hold a charge. I had it sit on the charger all night last night and it was at about 65% when I woke up this morning. By the time I got to work (40 minutes later) it was alreadf into the low 20% range.

Anyone encountered anything like this at all? I'm wondering if it's just a bad battery, the phone or something else. I'm tempted to take it in to the store tomorrow.

Take it back...you've got a bad battery.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)

Yeah, if it can't charge past 65% overnight (I assume you turned the phone off for that), then its a bad battery.

This is kind of cool...

Confusion over 'secret code' in US military Cyberforce crest

Online puzzle fiends are struggling to crack a "secret" cryptogram included in the newly-formed US military cyber command's official seal. Most of the confusion arises from an extra hyphen in the Command official mission statement.

cyber_command.jpg

As can be seen in the image above, the Cyber Command seal's inner golden ring has the legend 9ec4c12949a4f31474f299058ce2b22a inscribed on it. This has been discussed online for some time, but Wired was the first media channel to notice it this week. The mag's online defence blog is offering a free T-shirt or a ticket to the International Spy Museum to the first person to crack the "code".

In fact the string of characters is merely an MD5 hash of the Command's mission statement:

USCYBERCOM plans, coordinates, integrates, synchronizes and conducts activities to: direct the operations and defense of specified Department of Defense information networks and; prepare to, and when directed, conduct full spectrum military cyberspace operations in order to enable actions in all domains, ensure US/Allied freedom of action in cyberspace and deny the same to our adversaries.

Provided that this is entered correctly into a hash generator, the Cyber Command seal string is produced. That appears to be all there is to it - a reasonably technically literate effort in the context of US military heraldry, but scarcely much of a puzzle.

Some confusion has been caused by the fact that US Strategic Command, in charge of USCYBERCOM, offers a slightly altered mission statement - with a superfluous hyphen in "full spectrum".

We certainly aren't the first to notice this, and anyway we prefer our Vulture T-shirts here, so we'll leave the Wired competition glory to someone else. ®

Ok so I'm on a business trip to Louisiana, in some small ass town in the middle of nowhere, and I'm on an AT&T network (I'm T-mobile, I don't get charged for roaming though) and all of a sudden like 45 mins ago it disconnects data from me and tells me I'm on an international network and if I want data I have to pay international rates. WTF? Uh no, Louisiana is in the United States.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 09:07 PM)
Ok so I'm on a business trip to Louisiana, in some small ass town in the middle of nowhere, and I'm on an AT&T network (I'm T-mobile, I don't get charged for roaming though) and all of a sudden like 45 mins ago it disconnects data from me and tells me I'm on an international network and if I want data I have to pay international rates. WTF? Uh no, Louisiana is in the United States.

Is it, Lost? Is it really?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 08:07 PM)

Social statement.

Hooray for middle-of-nowhere business trips! I'm leaving for Kansas later today.

Edited by StrangeSox

I think this can be filed under EpicFail:

RIAA Spent $64 Million On Threats Netting Just $1.4 Million

P2PNet has managed to grab hold of the RIAA's tax documents for the last few years, and they make for some very entertaining reading. According to the RIAA’s disclosure form for just 2008, the outfit paid its lawyers more than $16,000,000 to recover $391,000 from P2P music traders. Between 2006 and 2008, the RIAA paid (mostly to lawyers) about $64 million to hunt down and threaten file sharers -- a process which only netted around $1.4 million (which didn't go to artists, of course).

All the while, the RIAA's six figure (or more) executives were busily giving themselves significant raises. For example, RIAA boss Mitch Bainwol pulled in more than $2 million in compensation in 2008, a cool half a million more than the RIAA's "let's vilify potential customer" campaign netted that entire year. RIAA president Cary Sherman pulled down a cool $984,615 in 2007, rising to $1,331,747 in 2008.

Granted, this isn't factoring the massive negative energy public relations pulsar the RIAA creates by engaging in actions that make the entire planet loathe the major recording labels (like suing grandmas, or convincing ISPs to threaten service termination for downloading a song). Imagine though, for a moment, what kind of innovative content broadband distribution piracy alternatives these funds could have helped create?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
Apple has scheduled a Friday Morning press conference. There's some talk of a general iPhone recall over the antennae issues. Somehow I doubt it goes that far, but It's probably a safe bet that they won't spend the whole time telling their customers to stop putting their hand over that part of the phone.

I heard that a piece of duct tape fixes the entire issue. Maybe they will be rolling out rolls of tape.