Trade Candidates for Kenny this offseason

macsandz

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on how the extension talks go between the Sox and Danks, I wouldn't mind seeing Kenny deal either Danks or Buehrle for some quality talent to bolster our minor league system and start a philosophy of plugging holes in our lineup with younger options rather than over-the-hill veteran stopgaps. If that entails enduring a couple of mediocre seasons and third-place finishes, then so be it. We need to get away from our current approach to putting together a lineup.

I think we can deal from our only true source of strength, starting pitching, and acquire some dynamic bats that could help our team immediately as well as contribute for us in the near future as well.

If an extension with Danks doesn't materialize this offseason, even before the Winter Meetings, I would be actively shopping him around. I submitted a trade scenario for Danks to the Rangers in an earlier thread so I won't belabor the point here.

If Kenny is able to negotiate an extension with Danks then I think he should look to trade Buehrle for some bats. IMO I think the only way you get the most value out of Buerhle is by trading him to an NL contender that is in the win-now mode, it looks like the AL might have caught up to Mark these past couple of seasons and I think a move to the NL would re-energize his career as well as lengthen it considerably as well.

I think the best match would be with the Reds, they're coming off their first playoff season the 1990s and could certainly use another consistent arm at the top of their rotation to go alongside Bronson Arroyo, Cueto and Volquez to form a rotation that could conceivably compete with the Phillies and Giants. I could see Buerhle dominating the NL Central next season as the NL tries to figure him out.

So how about one of these two scenarios:

White Sox send Mark Buerhle to the Reds, the Reds send Chris Heisey, Devin Mesoraco and Yorman Rodriguez

or

White Sox send Mark Buehrle to the Reds, the Reds send Juan Francisco and Devin Mesoraco.

Heisey could be a suitable RF and no. 2 hitter, Juan Francisco would provide a power threat from the left side but there are serious concerns about his K rate and defense, could probably step in as our everyday DH in 2011, Mesoraco is a 22 year-old power-hitting catcher that had a breakout season but is blocked by the 2010 draft pick Yasmani Grandal and Yorman Rodriguez is a raw, toolsy 17 year-old that could be a superstar or superbust.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
In this economy, unless we pay a sizable chunk of Buehrles salary, we aren't getting much in terms of quality for him.

True, his salary has become an albatross, but I don't think he's lost all his value. A lot of people (me included) were saying the same thing about Javy before we traded him to the Braves and we all klnow how that ended up. I'm willing to bet we could get a similar trade package for Buerhle if we agreed to send $4.5 mil with him.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 07:35 PM)
True, his salary has become an albatross, but I don't think he's lost all his value. A lot of people (me included) were saying the same thing about Javy before we traded him to the Braves and we all klnow how that ended up. I'm willing to bet we could get a similar trade package for Buerhle if we agreed to send $4.5 mil with him.

Trading Buehrle for a couple guys who have talent but some potentially severe issues isn't exactly the kind of move that would either restock the system or help the team win.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2010 -> 04:28 PM)
Sure, and if you can find me a prime Frank Thomas, than we can talk.

What does that have to do with defense? The poster was concerned about the arm in CF. There have been a lot of CF's great with the glove with zero arm through the years. I pointed out Lance Johnson, as he was a White Sox. I could point out Aaron Rowand who had a better arm, but he wasn't very accurate and looked like he was hunting for rattlesnakes often and his throws went straight into the ground. How did the Sox win games in 1990 before Frank Thomas arrived with Lance Johnson in CF and Ivan Calderon their big bat?

Your desire for a smart ass comment after almost everything I post I actually enjoy.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 08:31 AM)
What does that have to do with defense? The poster was concerned about the arm in CF. There have been a lot of CF's great with the glove with zero arm through the years. I pointed out Lance Johnson, as he was a White Sox. I could point out Aaron Rowand who had a better arm, but he wasn't very accurate and looked like he was hunting for rattlesnakes often and his throws went straight into the ground. How did the Sox win games in 1990 before Frank Thomas arrived with Lance Johnson in CF and Ivan Calderon their big bat?

Your desire for a smart ass comment after almost everything I post I actually enjoy.

Basically, if you have the best hitter in the game and one of the best pitchers in the game, it's going to make up for deficiencies in other aspects of the game. Hence...your flaw is that you're judging the team only by wins and saying "Oh, the negative in the OF didn't matter, they won games."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 07:34 AM)
Basically, if you have the best hitter in the game and one of the best pitchers in the game, it's going to make up for deficiencies in other aspects of the game. Hence...your flaw is that you're judging the team only by wins and saying "Oh, the negative in the OF didn't matter, they won games."

Exactly. A Hall of Famer makes up for a lot of mistakes in the field.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 07:31 AM)

I think that it is funny you want to be able to take ridiculous obviously argumentative positions and then cry about it when you get called on it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 6, 2010 -> 08:02 AM)
I think the Sox trade Alex Rios. He had decent numbers overall, but his second half was worse than the numbers he had with Toronto when they gave him away. The Sox might be able to sell the entire line of work and might get some decent parts back for him, and free up cash money.

If they could get Colby Rasmus I'd be a pretty supportive fan of that idea.