Job Hunt Thread

dasox24

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
Unfortunately, it's not just for profits. Many state universities will accept are larger number of questionably qualified students as freshman, knowing many will drop out for a number of reasons.

1. It brings in extra tuition and freshman classes are big lectures with TA lab sections where grad students make alot less than the tuition.

2. It makes the university look good for the state and thus can get more dollars from the state based on the Fall credit hour count.

3. It makes the university and state look good because "they didn't just look at grades and exam scores" when they admitted students.

This has been a huge problem for law schools, though it's been curbed in recent years. Mostly because they realized the business model couldn't work.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
So does anyone do resignation letters anymore? Or do you just have a meeting with your boss and give a two-week notice?

Last month when I gave my 2 week notice, my manager had asked me to submit a letter of resignation. I wasn't planning on doing one until he asked for it, but then again, I never had to submit one before.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
Last month when I gave my 2 week notice, my manager had asked me to submit a letter of resignation. I wasn't planning on doing one until he asked for it, but then again, I never had to submit one before.

I would have one prepared, it shouldn't take long anyways. It could just be required by HR.

I don't have the figures yet, but my company is lowering our PST contributions and it's looking like they will kill it off in favor of a 401k in the somewhat near future.

Hopefully they come out with some sort of compensation package for top performers, because otherwise this is will be a deal breaker for a lot of people (no bonuses are given to regular employees and most annual raises have been about 2-3% in recent years, PST is really the "bonus" most of us get).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
What is PST?

Profit Sharing Trust.

Right now if we "meet" our PST goals then the company puts in a full 18%, which means about 22% of salary for those fully vested. Their plan is to reduce that 18% to 10-15% and add in new compensation models to reward top performers. All on board for that, except next year they are reducing without adding anything new, not cool with that.

That 22% is in lieu of the standard 3% 401k contribution match, instead the company just puts that amount into a retirement fund for you. This may seem nuts, and in a way it is hence the change, but we don't get paid as much as other companies because of this.

This is the summary I came up with for myself:

2014 (paying out in 2015): Not affected, my payout will be around 12% is my guess.

2015: reduced to 10-15%, my payout would range between that same % compared to about 18% in recent years. I could actually end up with a lower % in 2015 then 2014 (I’m not full vested until 2016, so my increase may be less then the difference in the reduction they are planning).

2016: same as 2015, but introduction of new compensation packages to reward top performers.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
Profit Sharing Trust.

Right now if we "meet" our PST goals then the company puts in a full 18%, which means about 22% of salary for those fully vested. Their plan is to reduce that 18% to 10-15% and add in new compensation models to reward top performers. All on board for that, except next year they are reducing without adding anything new, not cool with that.

That 22% is in lieu of the standard 3% 401k contribution match, instead the company just puts that amount into a retirement fund for you. This may seem nuts, and in a way it is hence the change, but we don't get paid as much as other companies because of this.

This is the summary I came up with for myself:

2014 (paying out in 2015): Not affected, my payout will be around 12% is my guess.

2015: reduced to 10-15%, my payout would range between that same % compared to about 18% in recent years. I could actually end up with a lower % in 2015 then 2014 (I’m not full vested until 2016, so my increase may be less then the difference in the reduction they are planning).

2016: same as 2015, but introduction of new compensation packages to reward top performers.

Following everything but the 22% being in lieu of standard 3% 401K match. 22% of your pay > 3% of your pay. I presume HR will look into comp comparison of peers and potentially act quick if their new plans don't work. Would have thought they'd have implemented new plans in 15 vs. waiting till 16. Seems odd.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
Talk to your boss and give notice. If they ask, write the letter. Put nothing more in it than you have to.

Talk first, than once talking, a lot need a standard letter of some sort. Basically just state that I, XYZ, am resigning from my position and will put in x weeks notice, with my final day being on XX/XX/XX. Nothing more is needed. The conversation is the key part, imo.

I have an interview for a shared IT manager between three Park Districts in the western suburbs on Tuesday.

This would be a pretty big step up from my current job so I'm not sure how my credentials will stack up against the other candidates, but I would love this job. I'm very ready to get out of consulting.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
Talk first, than once talking, a lot need a standard letter of some sort. Basically just state that I, XYZ, am resigning from my position and will put in x weeks notice, with my final day being on XX/XX/XX. Nothing more is needed. The conversation is the key part, imo.

Absolutely. Agreed 100%

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
Well the meeting went well and the food was good. Got an email Monday morning from the guy I had been talking to originally asking how it went. I responded and haven't heard anything since. This is exactly what happened the last time around.

I completely baffled at what their plans are. This all started in July for crying out loud. Either you want me or you don't.

The anxiety of just sitting and waiting for something to happen is just killing me.

So after the long wait I finally got a firm offer and was able to accept it. I just officially put in my 2-week notice at my current job.

Starting on January 5th my commute will drop from 2+ hours to about 10 minutes. I’ll be dropping a little in salary but the massive savings in gas, tolls and free time at home definitely makes up for it.

Edited by Iwritecode

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 08:38 AM)
So after the long wait I finally got a firm offer and was able to accept it. I just officially put in my 2-week notice at my current job.

Starting on January 5th my commute will drop from 2+ hours to about 10 minutes. I’ll be dropping a little in salary but the massive savings in gas, tolls and free time at home definitely makes up for it.

Good deal...congrats! That time savings will be huge.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 15, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)

Awesome news, congrats!

Great to hear it. Good luck!

Congratulations!

Congrats! I don't know how you've managed a 2+ hour commute.

The convenience of it will be great. Even if I have to work a little late or go in a little early once in a while, it won’t take away so much time from my home life.

I’ll finally be able to do simple things like go to my kids sports/after school activities, parent-teacher conferences, car repair shops, doc appointments, etc…

Not getting home until 7PM or later every night just makes life such an extreme struggle. Everything had to be done on weekends.

Anybody who is or has been a hiring manager: If you regularly do thorough or semi-thorough internet research on job applicants, I am looking for somebody to do one on me so I can get feedback on what things are out there on me that might be red flags to potential employers. If you are willing to do this, please PM me and let me know exactly what personal info of mine that you need.

• 4 weeks later...

A month and a half in - I made the right call. Seeing now how a real organization is run has opened my eyes. They were in desperate need of marketing, and I think this will be a long relationship. Just based on the first 1.5 months, they've now just signed a lease on a new space of the building we're in and are letting me expand the marketing team and run things from a separate office. That didn't take long.

Life is good. Baby on the way. Stress from the job is minimal - only focused on what needs to be done work-wise and not about a million things out of my control. I loved my last job, and this one is wayyyyyy better.