2011-2012 NHL Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 20, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
Oooo, or Brad Richards. He'd be a great fit on the 2nd line.

Would love to see that, but it won't work financially.

On a subject of which I'm not so sure, how would the cap hit work for next season (the last of the current deal) if Sharpie signs a contract extension this summer that increases the annual value of his deal? Would his cap hit be the same as it currently stands next year, then increase to whatever the deal is when the new one starts in 2012-2013? I'm not overwhelmingly familiar with how that works for extensions done in the summer. Guys like Kane, Toews, Keith, and Seabrook, of course, all did their new deals during the regular season.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 02:25 AM)

On a subject of which I'm not so sure, how would the cap hit work for next season (the last of the current deal) if Sharpie signs a contract extension this summer that increases the annual value of his deal? Would his cap hit be the same as it currently stands next year, then increase to whatever the deal is when the new one starts in 2012-2013? I'm not overwhelmingly familiar with how that works for extensions done in the summer. Guys like Kane, Toews, Keith, and Seabrook, of course, all did their new deals during the regular season.

Besides didn't Richards turn down the chance to come to the Hawks a couple of years ago in order to go to Dallas?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 02:25 AM)

I'm am pretty sure the cap hit starts when the new contract starts.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 08:11 AM)
Besides didn't Richards turn down the chance to come to the Hawks a couple of years ago in order to go to Dallas?

That was a greatly different Hawks team. You never know when one of these vets is going to jump on for a cheap 1 year deal to chase a Cup. This Hawks team as assembled fits that billing extraordinarily well. They are one of a handful of teams you have to look at as a Cup chase.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
That was a greatly different Hawks team. You never know when one of these vets is going to jump on for a cheap 1 year deal to chase a Cup. This Hawks team as assembled fits that billing extraordinarily well. They are one of a handful of teams you have to look at as a Cup chase.

If you can, sure you do it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 21, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)

I would think a guy, who is in his prime, would want to get one last big money deal. Besides, he's won the cup before. Not like he is chasing after one.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
Bernstein just hinted at something about Patrick Kane, saying "you havent seen him this off-season".

What's the rumors?

That might have been the whole point. We haven't seen pictures of him constantly partying, so perhaps he is dedicating himself to his craft this offseason.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
That might have been the whole point. We haven't seen pictures of him constantly partying, so perhaps he is dedicating himself to his craft this offseason.

No, that wasnt the impression i was getting from him. He was talking about hearing rumors, and that he has calls out to people. My gut says he's in rehab.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)
No, that wasnt the impression i was getting from him. He was talking about hearing rumors, and that he has calls out to people. My gut says he's in rehab.

Yeah, Bernstein made it seem ominous when he said there were rumors.

On the cap note, remember we lose the Stanley Cup Final bonuses, too, so that alone frees up $5 million. I really want to bring Sopel back. Shouldn't cost much and provides great depth, penalty killing and shot blocking.

There were rumors during the season about Kane and Crawford for Ryan Miller, and according to ESPN1000, that was talked about within the Hawks organization seriously.

However, I don't see Kane leaving. I think that would be a mistake.

FWIW, I don't think Richards will come here. I'd like to add Sopel and maybe Erik Cole, plus re-sign Frolik, Campoli, and Brouwer (maybe Stalberg), but all of that might be impossible.

I'd love to see them add Ryan Malone from Tampa, but it looks like he may be on his way to the Habs.

The rumors are Kane went to (is still in?) rehab, after urging from Hawks management. I've heard it in so many places, but I still have no idea if it's true because that's a rumor that could easily spread, true or not, because it's so easy to believe. It's been SO QUIET on the Kaner front since the season ended though, it makes me wonder...

I've never heard the Miller for Kane/Crawford thing though, that's interesting. I've seen the Erik Cole suggestion in a lot of places that Brian made. Carolina is having trouble with their free agents apparently.

The Hawks will open the regular season with a back to back home and home against Dallas, by the way. The full regular season schedule is expected to come out tomorrow.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 07:58 AM)
I wouldn't be upset if Kane went. You'd hate to see a kid screw up a life like his has potentially in front of him. Best of luck to him.

He has HOF talent if he can keep his head on straight. Probably a real good thing. Hate to see someone end up like Daryl Strawberry with addiction issues.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
He has HOF talent if he can keep his head on straight. Probably a real good thing. Hate to see someone end up like Daryl Strawberry with addiction issues.

The only evidence of Kaner drinking has been fairly light (ok, he may have skipped on a cabbie bill, but he was 19). He's a young kid with oodles of cash who can bang any chick he pleases, and he goes to bars. It hasn't effected him on the ice yet, and these rumors are all unsubstantiated.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
The only evidence of Kaner drinking has been fairly light (ok, he may have skipped on a cabbie bill, but he was 19). He's a young kid with oodles of cash who can bang any chick he pleases, and he goes to bars. It hasn't effected him on the ice yet, and these rumors are all unsubstantiated.

There were whispers of missed practices last year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
Where the hell are all these rumors? I googled it and found jack s***.

In about a month, A&J's Sports Pub will be adding "As featured in sports illustrated" because of this thread.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 12:45 PM)
Where the hell are all these rumors? I googled it and found jack s***.

Boers and Bernstein have their "guys" everywhere that know all the behind the scenes dirt and are never ever wrong, so it's gotta be true.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 23, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
Boers and Bernstein have their "guys" everywhere that know all the behind the scenes dirt and are never ever wrong, so it's gotta be true.

They NEVER said rehab, it was just a conclusion I made, based on the inferences, tone of voice, and Kane's history.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000