Golfing Thread

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 4, 2013 -> 11:31 PM)
Peter Jans or Frank Govern or whatever the hell they call it these days, the course right on the canal in Evanston and Wilmette?

Yea, it's called Evanston-Wilmette Community Golf Course now.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 12:30 AM)
Yea, it's called Evanston-Wilmette Community Golf Course now.

I'd tell you to drive another 10 minutes west to the Wilmette Golf Club for a solid municipal course experience, but they just closed down for a complete renovation. It's going to be gorgeous when it reopens next year, though.

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 27, 2013 -> 09:11 AM)
Anyone have a specific brand or style of golf shoe to rec?

I have 1 FJ and 2 Nikes.

I got these a season or so ago and they are my favorite by far. I dont even wear the others any more. Waterproof and super super comfortable. The only rub is no removeable spikes so when they wear out, they wear out. For the 60 bucks I paid they are worth it

http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Air-Range-White...nike+golf+shoes

I guess they have a newer version

http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Golf-Air-Range-...d_sbs_shoe_sw_2

Edited by RockRaines

• 2 months later...

Ecco actually makes some badass golf shoes.

Bought some of the Nike Tiger Woods pants and I must say these are like the most incredibly comfortable pants on the face of the earth. A bit pricy at $125 but oh my were they awesome. I've always just worn khaki type shorts or pants to golf, but decided to update the golf wardrobe a bit recently and these were worth every penny. They are 95% polyester so they stretch when you're bending over or kneeling to read a putt, and they breathe really well.

Highly recommended.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 15, 2014 -> 09:05 PM)
Ecco actually makes some badass golf shoes.

Bought some of the Nike Tiger Woods pants and I must say these are like the most incredibly comfortable pants on the face of the earth. A bit pricy at $125 but oh my were they awesome. I've always just worn khaki type shorts or pants to golf, but decided to update the golf wardrobe a bit recently and these were worth every penny. They are 95% polyester so they stretch when you're bending over or kneeling to read a putt, and they breathe really well.

Highly recommended.

Look at this asshole, golfing in February.

• 3 weeks later...

My middle school girls and boys both finished third in our first two tournaments. Sizing up the competition, that may be as good as it gets. The top team has the country club kids from our town. We may catch the second place team one of these meets.

On the best note, my top 8th grade female is very coach-able. She was already developing into a solid player but had some set up, posture, and swing plane issues. We needed to move her hands closer to her body and stand a little more upright. She stuck with the changes even though she went downhill a little bit. Last week she won her first invitational by three strokes. Her dad called me and said he had promised her clubs when she won her first tournament. They were planning a shopping trip.

On the boy's side I had a kid finish in the top 5 in his first ever tournament. It may have been a combination of beginner's luck and poor score keeping. Anyway, it decided that he really needed to practice more with his driver and skip all that short game stuff I've been preaching. He finished last for our team in his second tournament.

I must say I an enjoying coaching more than playing at this point. I still take a few swings each practice to demo some stuff. But seeing new players hit a solid shot where they intended is pretty cool.

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 16, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
My middle school girls and boys both finished third in our first two tournaments. Sizing up the competition, that may be as good as it gets. The top team has the country club kids from our town. We may catch the second place team one of these meets.

On the best note, my top 8th grade female is very coach-able. She was already developing into a solid player but had some set up, posture, and swing plane issues. We needed to move her hands closer to her body and stand a little more upright. She stuck with the changes even though she went downhill a little bit. Last week she won her first invitational by three strokes. Her dad called me and said he had promised her clubs when she won her first tournament. They were planning a shopping trip.

On the boy's side I had a kid finish in the top 5 in his first ever tournament. It may have been a combination of beginner's luck and poor score keeping. Anyway, it decided that he really needed to practice more with his driver and skip all that short game stuff I've been preaching. He finished last for our team in his second tournament.

I must say I an enjoying coaching more than playing at this point. I still take a few swings each practice to demo some stuff. But seeing new players hit a solid shot where they intended is pretty cool.

That's awesome. Golf is one of those sports that can teach you good life lessons (patience, persistence, love for the outdoors, etc.). Even when I play bad, I always enjoy my time out on the course. And there's always a new challenge to overcome (and some challenges that you never overcome despite decades of trying).

I went to Golfsmith this weekend for a club fitting session and ordered up some new clubs. Got the Taylormade Bladez irons from last year and the R1 adjustable driver, all for about $775 including tax. I'm torn on the adjustable driver because I think it will keep me from correcting my swing, but really on my drives i've had a pretty consistent fade/slice for the last 15 years. I'll go a few rounds with the problem "fixed" and then i'll spend the rest of the summer back in the same funk. If I can adjust the face angle slightly and get the ball to go straight, well, that would be great.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
That's awesome. Golf is one of those sports that can teach you good life lessons (patience, persistence, love for the outdoors, etc.). Even when I play bad, I always enjoy my time out on the course. And there's always a new challenge to overcome (and some challenges that you never overcome despite decades of trying).

I went to Golfsmith this weekend for a club fitting session and ordered up some new clubs. Got the Taylormade Bladez irons from last year and the R1 adjustable driver, all for about $775 including tax. I'm torn on the adjustable driver because I think it will keep me from correcting my swing, but really on my drives i've had a pretty consistent fade/slice for the last 15 years. I'll go a few rounds with the problem "fixed" and then i'll spend the rest of the summer back in the same funk. If I can adjust the face angle slightly and get the ball to go straight, well, that would be great.

I hate those white drivers but I love taylor made woods. Those irons are nice.

Golf teaches fair play in kids as well as honesty. It's a great sport to get them in.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 08:04 AM)

You never know...about 2 years ago after not playing for several years, I suddenly have a draw/hook swing instead of a cut/slice swing. I actually think I am capable of "working" the ball now, if I just had the time and desire to practice/play more often and figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Apr 1, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
Tiger won't play the Masters

http://hotlinks.golf.com/2014/04/01/tiger-...ters/?eref=sihp

A few years ago, Jack's record looked doomed; it looks pretty safe now.

Yeah, he hasn't been the same since the whole wife thing. Karma's a b**** I guess. The Masters will still be great though. Always good drama.

I played last weekend in San Antonio and again this weekend over in Hillside. I'm loving the new clubs so far. They're an inch and a quarter longer than my older clubs, so I've hit a bunch of shots fat. I need to get used to that.

Our district tournament was Saturday. My girls won by 4 strokes. :headbang Beating nine other teams. We also took 1st and 6th place individual.

My boys choked. :crying Beyond the worst I thought they could have done. My top boy player, who I expected to shoot between a 43-48 shot a 69. They finished 7th out of the 10 teams.

• 2 weeks later...