Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
The good news for Wisconsin is that Bielema never killed it at recruiting. So they can come sniffing around, but literally the best Wisconsin has for next year is 4*s.

Even if the class falls apart Wisconsin seemingly does better with unknown walk-ons.

True story, I just looked over your 2013 list and not much there unless Iowa wants to grab a few midwestern OL. Mixed reactions on the Badger board, alot of anger some saying he peaked. Strange times. The entire conference is almost completely turned over from a coaching standpoint outside of Iowa over the last several years. Weird.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
It's about time for Tennessee to wrap things up with Jon Gruden... But seriously, I'm guessing we'll find out tomorrow. Strong, Gundy, or Fedora seem to be the likely choices.

Strong would be a good hire.

I am surprised and happy that Tom Herman hasnt been mentioned for more openings this offseason. I dont want to lose him or Ed Warriner

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
True story, I just looked over your 2013 list and not much there unless Iowa wants to grab a few midwestern OL. Mixed reactions on the Badger board, alot of anger some saying he peaked. Strange times. The entire conference is almost completely turned over from a coaching standpoint outside of Iowa over the last several years. Weird.

If youve read this board you know that I dont love Bielema. So Im kind of shocked. I just thought Bielema was smart enough to take his $3mil check for the next 20 years and be a Wisconsin legend. Who knew that for an extra few mil hed risk it all to try and coach at Arkansas.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
If youve read this board you know that I dont love Bielema. So Im kind of shocked. I just thought Bielema was smart enough to take his $3mil check for the next 20 years and be a Wisconsin legend. Who knew that for an extra few mil hed risk it all to try and coach at Arkansas.

Maybe he thinks he can rule that side of the SEC? Not sure other than the HUGE raise. The coaching and talent pool he will face in the SEC is a hell of alot deeper than the Big Ten.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 03:38 PM)
The part that makes no sense is that in the SEC recruiting is really important and that hasnt been Bielema's strength.

He was already being paid top 20 money at Wisconsin, I just do not believe he is a top 20 coach. There have to be 20 guys better than him.

Recruiting is very dirty in the SEC, the exact thing he got mad at last season.

Purdue hires Hazell, very good hire for them. Now you have 3 Tressel coaching tree HC's in the conference.

As an Illinois guy, I will be anxiously watching to see whom Alvarez hires, because I expect it to further underline the sigificant disparity between those programs. Obviously, the successor isn't going to make three consecutive Rose Bowls, but somehow I don't expect the Badgers to miss too much of a beat.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
Maybe he thinks he can rule that side of the SEC? Not sure other than the HUGE raise. The coaching and talent pool he will face in the SEC is a hell of alot deeper than the Big Ten.

The side of the SEC with Alabama and LSU? Yeah, good luck with that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:42 PM)
Recruiting is very dirty in the SEC, the exact thing he got mad at last season.

Purdue hires Hazell, very good hire for them. Now you have 3 Tressel coaching tree HC's in the conference.

The last one was the worst hire imaginable. Purdue should hope it works out better.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
As an Illinois guy, I will be anxiously watching to see whom Alvarez hires, because I expect it to further underline the sigificant disparity between those programs. Obviously, the successor isn't going to make three consecutive Rose Bowls, but somehow I don't expect the Badgers to miss too much of a beat.

Purdue essentially just hired a Beckman-caliber coach

The amazing thing is this is the 3rd coach that Arkansas has poached where nobody really saw it coming. Petrino from the Falcons (right?), Mike Anderson from Mizzou (despite the background), and now Bieliema. It's such a strange hire, especially trying to recruit down there with no ties.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
Strong would be a good hire.

I am surprised and happy that Tom Herman hasnt been mentioned for more openings this offseason. I dont want to lose him or Ed Warriner

I like Strong a lot. I'd be happy with any of the 3 that I mentioned above, but I tend to like Strong the most.

Also, I know this is supposed to be a long-term decision (and I think it would be a good one w/ Strong), but for the short-term, I did hear that a number of highly rated recruits would love to see Strong go to UT. They love him as a coach but didn't want to play in a conference like the Big East (and of course, the ACC now). But with him in the SEC, they would re-think things. Always a good thing to hear.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
Purdue essentially just hired a Beckman-caliber coach

I have all the respect in the world for Barry Alvarez. No disrespect to the Boilers, but there's no way he goes that route.

Edit: That's not meant to diss the MAC or its coaches either; mostly just Beckman.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 04:06 PM)
I thought you said it was a good hire.

I liked Beckman too. They were both great assistants under Tressel. However since time has gone by its become pretty clear that Tressel had alot more to do with his program than many thought. He was a control freak.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/foo...l#ixzz2E7osOVBb

A UW source quoted an influential Arkansas booster as saying, "We're going to steal your head coach, the sky's the limit and we're going to do everything he wants for facilities This place is going to spend more money than anyone ever dreamed of."

Good luck with that Arkansas. The guy literally did not know some of the college football rules, but you are going to write him a blank check.

This should end well.

(edit)

http://www.espn760.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=5781

Another funny quote:

“I talked to him yesterday. He sounded down,” said Daniels. “He said he had offers in front of him and had some decision to make.”

“He had always said he wanted to retire at Wisconsin, but he took a lot of heat this year (5 losses). I don't think Bret has that kind of skin.”

If you cant take the heat at Wisconsin, go to Arkansas with unrealistic SEC championship dreams?

Edited by Soxbadger

I think he'll be gone in 3 years. However they will give him alot more money to play with and to pay his assistants with than Wisconsin was going to. That was one of Urban's big gripes before he took the OSU job was that the Big Ten doesnt pay assistants like the SEC does.

There are just a ton of rumors right now. Supposedly hes only getting $600k per year more.

Going to have to wait and see, I get the feeling that Alvarez may actually coach the Rose Bowl. There is supposedly a state law that requires Wisconsin to post notice of the job for 30 days, so no hiring can be done quick.