Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Badger on your posts above, I am hearing his assistants that left and even the ones he has now hate his guts. I am thinking he saw the writing on the wall and wanted to follow the money for both him and a staff he puts together himself. Also with Michigan getting back and OSU coming off sanctions it wasnt a bad time to jump.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
Badger on your posts above, I am hearing his assistants that left and even the ones he has now hate his guts. I am thinking he saw the writing on the wall and wanted to follow the money for both him and a staff he puts together himself. Also with Michigan getting back and OSU coming off sanctions it wasnt a bad time to jump.

I agree Rock. I think this was more about him seeing the writing on the wall and getting out while the getting was good. Unless there is a connection I don't know about between Ark AD Jeff Long and Bielema, my guess is it is Bielema's agent that quietly let some schools know he would listen.

I just can't get past losing several long time assistants by them following another one. I've been in jobs before where key employees were unhappy and would have all jumped if one they respected left to start his own company or work for a competitor. One it actually happened. That doesn't happen if morale wasn't low. It couldn't have gotten any better for the new assistants he hired to see one of them get fired after opening week. s

I just see him as a paper tiger so to speak and one that will fail at Arkansas. He did a lot of good things so I don't want to be completely negative, but I just don't think his situation was headed in the right direction.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
I agree Rock. I think this was more about him seeing the writing on the wall and getting out while the getting was good. Unless there is a connection I don't know about between Ark AD Jeff Long and Bielema, my guess is it is Bielema's agent that quietly let some schools know he would listen.

I just can't get past losing several long time assistants by them following another one. I've been in jobs before where key employees were unhappy and would have all jumped if one they respected left to start his own company or work for a competitor. One it actually happened. That doesn't happen if morale wasn't low. It couldn't have gotten any better for the new assistants he hired to see one of them get fired after opening week. s

I just see him as a paper tiger so to speak and one that will fail at Arkansas. He did a lot of good things so I don't want to be completely negative, but I just don't think his situation was headed in the right direction.

If he's still there by this time five years from now, I will be shocked.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 03:49 PM)

It had to have been about the money. Even with Michigan and Ohio St coming back, I'd rather take my chances with those two over being in the same division as LSU, Alabama, Texas AM.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
When Bielema played at Iowa, after the Hawkeyes beat Iowa State and Brett's teams had beaten them all 4 times he played against them, after the coaches shook hands he went up to the Iowa State coach and told him what a pleasure it was to kick his ass 4 straight years.

Like that was some sort of accomplishment.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
Care to elaborate?

They asked him about his "we dont want to be the SEC" comment last year when he got butthurt about Urban talking to recruits and his response was he was just playing it up to the Big Ten crowd. WTF does that mean dude.

He also hit upon losing assistants due to the Big Ten not paying a good enough salary, that IS true and was one thing Meyer asked for specifically when joining OSU, however Bielema's assistants left because he of a step up and according to Wisconsin fans they hated his guts.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 11:19 PM)
So I'm drunk and officially in meltdown mode. What the f*** has happened to Tennessee? We're a f***ing Top 10 team of all-time! Why the f*** can't we get a f***ing coach???

I'd say currently they aren't even closely viewed as a top10 job, might be a factor. But, definitely good enough to be able to bring in a good coach.

I'm sure he meant by means of all time wins, which they are.

Top NCAA Football Programs By Wins

Tenn has a few things for a coach to be concerned about. There was a time when Fulmer absolutely killed it in out of state recruiting. The borders of North Carolina and South Carolina have really closed down, making it that much tougher to pull the elite kids from this area. Add to that, they are looking for their 4th head coach since 2008? This is a big time make or break hire overall, in both overall program stature, and boosters eyes I'm sure too.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
I'm sure he meant by means of all time wins, which they are.

Top NCAA Football Programs By Wins

Tenn has a few things for a coach to be concerned about. There was a time when Fulmer absolutely killed it in out of state recruiting. The borders of North Carolina and South Carolina have really closed down, making it that much tougher to pull the elite kids from this area. Add to that, they are looking for their 4th head coach since 2008? This is a big time make or break hire overall, in both overall program stature, and boosters eyes I'm sure too.

Ok. I read that as stating they were a "top 10 all-time program", which I would many reservations with.

Ok. I read that as stating they were a "top 10 all-time program", which I would many reservations with.

Tennessee has not been on the map in recent history, but they are pretty much the #2 all-time program in the SEC behind Alabama. Tennessee-Alabama was always the biggest game of the year in the SEC. Only in the last 20-30 years have Florida and LSU built their programs up to that level. That's why it was such a blow to Tennessee when Lane Kiffin left to go to USC because historically, Tennesse was among the handful of programs that you didn't leave for another college job.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)

Really? I think it's pretty much a no-brainer. Definitely a Top-10 program all-time. In the last 10 years? Absolutely not. But over the last 100 years? Absolutely.

Historically, the only programs that are better:

Alabama

USC

Ohio St

Notre Dame

Michigan

Oklahoma

Nebraska

Texas

The programs that are about on-par:

Penn St

Auburn