Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
I actually kinda like this inner-outer idea.

I do too in the sense of how fair the divisions are split. But I think the travel aspect is what won't make it happen. Those outer teams are so damn far from each other.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 10:04 PM)
Reports are that Wisconsin is going to hire Gary Andersen from Utah State as the next Head Coach.

I think it's a good hire. Andersen completely turned around a really bad program in Utah St. He obviously knows how to win.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 11:22 PM)
That's not fair. Elkhart and the surrounding areas are much more "rural."

And where do half those kids end up going to school? Places like IUSB... I don't know where South Bend gets off thinking it is some kind of modern urban mecca, but lol.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 18, 2012 -> 11:28 PM)
I think it's a good hire. Andersen completely turned around a really bad program in Utah St. He obviously knows how to win.

Totally different scheme and tempo to his offense than Wisconsin has been using. Doesnt jive with Alvarez's philosophy IMO which is odd.

Andersen's offensive philosophy will be a key issue - he used the spread at Utah State but Alvarez has said he wants a coach who maintains the Badgers' tradition of power running - and will need to adjust to recruiting an area that is absolutely new to him. He has spent almost his entire life and coaching career in Utah. But he has a reputation as a good recruiter and has already shown he can be a successful head coach.

Part of the Urban Meyer coaching tree from Utah.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
Totally different scheme and tempo to his offense than Wisconsin has been using. Doesnt jive with Alvarez's philosophy IMO which is odd.

Part of the Urban Meyer coaching tree from Utah.

Schemes are constantly changing though and it's better to try something new to stay ahead of the curve than to stick with tradition and fall behind. Besides that, you can still have a power running game out of a spread offense.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
Schemes are constantly changing though and it's better to try something new to stay ahead of the curve than to stick with tradition and fall behind. Besides that, you can still have a power running game out of a spread offense.

I'm aware of that as my team had that this year. However Wisconsin isnt a spread power running program or team, they are pro-style and their fans are saying that he will have to change to fit Alvarez's methodology.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
I'm aware of that as my team had that this year. However Wisconsin isnt a spread power running program or team, they are pro-style and their fans are saying that he will have to change to fit Alvarez's methodology.

That's dumb. If you bring in a leopard, you shouldn't expect it to change it's spots to stripes.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
That's dumb. If you bring in a leopard, you shouldn't expect it to change it's spots to stripes.

Badge will have to confirm this but apparently Matt Canada their OC this year came from a spread and changed to fit the Wisconsin style. Their fans seem to think that in recruiting you only get Pro-style OL and thats why they do what they do.

I think that Wisconsin fans are stupid if they dont recognize that when Canada started to be more successful he was using spread principles in pro-set formations. He actually implemented a version of the wildcat as well.

Also its important to remember that just because someone ran a spread at a smaller program does not mean that they will run a spread at a bigger program. The entire purpose of the spread was to help teams that did not have the talent to line up 1 on 1. When Andersen gets to Wisconsin, he will get much better O-line talent. When you have guys averaging 320 lbs you tend to want to take advantage of your strength.

I really dont care and I think that Alvarez understands it doesnt matter what you label the offense, what matters is how many points you score. Not 1 Wisconsin fan was complaining about style when they decimated Nebraska. Winning is all that matters, go figure.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)

Does it truly matter what Alvarez's philosophy is, though? The AD can't tell his Head Coach what scheme to run. And if he did, it would be such a horrible idea to hire a guy and then make him change what he does. I just can't fathom that this would actually happen. To me, this looks like Alvarez is deciding to change things up (even if that isn't "his style" of football). That said, it may be a slow transition to the spread that Andersen runs. Because as we know, any good coach will adapt his scheme to fit the players. So I imagine you'll see more pro-style elements until he gets his own guys in.

Edited by dasox24

The culture of Wisconsin also changed somewhat last year with Russel Wilson. People are okay with new things if you win.

Utah State lost @ Wisconsin this year due to a 37 yard missed field goal. Their only other loss was @ BYU by 3 points.

Its hard to believe Wisconsin hired a coach of a team that is ranked in the top 25.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
I think that Wisconsin fans are stupid if they dont recognize that when Canada started to be more successful he was using spread principles in pro-set formations. He actually implemented a version of the wildcat as well.

Also its important to remember that just because someone ran a spread at a smaller program does not mean that they will run a spread at a bigger program. The entire purpose of the spread was to help teams that did not have the talent to line up 1 on 1. When Andersen gets to Wisconsin, he will get much better O-line talent. When you have guys averaging 320 lbs you tend to want to take advantage of your strength.

I really dont care and I think that Alvarez understands it doesnt matter what you label the offense, what matters is how many points you score. Not 1 Wisconsin fan was complaining about style when they decimated Nebraska. Winning is all that matters, go figure.

I completely disagree with the bolded. I would argue the spread actually places more emphasis on winning 1 on 1 battles as it forces players to play both east/west and north/south and exploits man coverage. The term "spread" is also extremely generic and broad.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
Does it truly matter what Alvarez's philosophy is, though? The AD can't tell his Head Coach what scheme to run. And if he did, it would be such a horrible idea to hire a guy and then make him change what he does. I just can't fathom that this would actually happen. To me, this looks like Alvarez is deciding to change things up (even if that isn't "his style" of football). That said, it may be a slow transition to the spread that Andersen runs. Because as we know, any good coach will adapt his scheme to fit the players. So I imagine you'll see more pro-style elements until he gets his own guys in.

Anderson is more of a defensive coach, but the first question was answered by Alvarez himself when he came out and said BB ran his scheme and that they have a plan coaches follow. I am thinking he is bringing his defensive philosophy to Madison and the offense will be similar to what they've been running.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 05:57 PM)
Its hard to believe Wisconsin hired a coach of a team that is ranked in the top 25.

Are you saying this just because they had to hire so late in a tough year to hire coaches? Or in general?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
I completely disagree with the bolded. I would argue the spread actually places more emphasis on winning 1 on 1 battles as it forces players to play both east/west and north/south and exploits man coverage. The term "spread" is also extremely generic and broad.

The spread was definitively created for the purpose I explained. The idea was that a small school maybe had 1 or 2 players who had the talent to compete with the big school and thus you wanted to spread the field to take advantage of your 1 or 2 good match ups.

Rusty Russell and his Mighty Mites are pretty legendary.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
Are you saying this just because they had to hire so late in a tough year to hire coaches? Or in general?

In general. I just would not have imagined that the next Wisconsin coach would come from a team that is technically rated higher than Wisconsin right now. I figured they would either get a guy from the Pros or a coach on a team that has been meandering.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
The spread was definitively created for the purpose I explained. The idea was that a small school maybe had 1 or 2 players who had the talent to compete with the big school and thus you wanted to spread the field to take advantage of your 1 or 2 good match ups.

Rusty Russell and his Mighty Mites are pretty legendary.

I disagree.

The basics of the spread offense were originated with super powerhouse teams like Notre Dame and Navy in the early 1900's. It was then modified even in the modern times by powerhouses like Nebraska and Oklahoma in the 80's and even Houston in the 60's. Nowadays its a mix of run n shoot and the basics of those triple option teams into wht DickRod and Snyder deployed but its roots were way back when big time teams were using it.

Now some of the pass-heavy spreads were probably designed for mid level teams to even out the playing field since it negates a weakness on the O-line and perhaps speed in space, but the basic spread is a modified triple option run-oriented offense. My opinion of where that modern-day spread originated was for sure Randy Walker at Northwestern. In that case it was definitely designed to enhance your 1 or 2 advantages with built in counters and constraint plays.

My team runs the power-run oriented spread offense with some of the hurry up from Oregon and the pass-counters of those NW teams. I can show video of running plays this season that are directly out of the very early Notre Dame days.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 19, 2012 -> 10:07 PM)
In general. I just would not have imagined that the next Wisconsin coach would come from a team that is technically rated higher than Wisconsin right now. I figured they would either get a guy from the Pros or a coach on a team that has been meandering.

Really? I can see an illinois fan thinking this, but Wisconsin?