2013 TV Thread

knightni

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
To answer the question from the movie thread, I am giving "The Americans" a try.

My bad.

I'm not really sure what its about and not sure if Keri Russell is a dramatic lead, but gonna try it.

Ok, watching the beginning of The Americans...highly stylized musical action...but what f***ing 1980's is this taking place in? The hair, clothes...everything is just...wrong, hell, it's not even close. If you don't want to make something in the 80's, then don't.

The acting and story seems ok but the 1980's setting is a joke at best. No girl, woman or otherwise had anything close to Russle's hair style back then. Not to mention the clothes or anything else. Nobody that lived in the 80's seems to be in charge of this show.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 08:16 PM)
Ok, watching the beginning of The Americans...highly stylized musical action...but what f***ing 1980's is this taking place in? The hair, clothes...everything is just...wrong, hell, it's not even close. If you don't want to make something in the 80's, then don't.

The acting and story seems ok but the 1980's setting is a joke at best. No girl, woman or otherwise had anything close to Russle's hair style back then. Not to mention the clothes or anything else. Nobody that lived in the 80's seems to be in charge of this show.

Agreed although I did enjoy the episode.

Sometimes I get a thrill out of watching old TV series on cable that my mom and dad told me they watched as children.

I have examined many episodes of Mr Ed, Leave it To Beaver, Andy Griffith, All in the Family, Dick Van Dyke and Dennis the Menace and The Munsters.

I would say I have laughed out loud at some things that took place on The Munsters, Dick Van Dyke and Mr. Ed; I have been entertained but not overwhelmed by Andy Griffith, did not like Dennis the Menace and have been intrigued but somewhat bored by Leave it To Beaver. Any of you like any of these series?

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 11:38 PM)
Sometimes I get a thrill out of watching old TV series on cable that my mom and dad told me they watched as children.

I have examined many episodes of Mr Ed, Leave it To Beaver, Andy Griffith, All in the Family, Dick Van Dyke and Dennis the Menace and The Munsters.

I would say I have laughed out loud at some things that took place on The Munsters, Dick Van Dyke and Mr. Ed; I have been entertained but not overwhelmed by Andy Griffith, did not like Dennis the Menace and have been intrigued but somewhat bored by Leave it To Beaver. Any of you like any of these series?

I've watched them all, but All in the Family is still funny to me...and at the time it was ground breaking.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 11:31 PM)
Agreed although I did enjoy the episode.

Aside from that one complaint, it's good (so far). I just can't stand it when shows or movies want to take place in a certain era, but hardly bother trying. It's like, let's play a few 80's songs and people will think it's the 80s all over again. I just like being reminded of how stupid we actually looked in the 80's. ;)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 31, 2013 -> 05:20 AM)
I've watched them all, but All in the Family is still funny to me...and at the time it was ground breaking.

I wasn't alive when All In The Family was first running but have always watched the reruns. That show holds up better than any show and is hilarious still.

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 11:38 PM)

Andy Griffith is fantastic. I'll still catch MASH when it's on too. Slightly later than those other ones I guess, but it ended before I was born so...it counts!

I liked the Americans. It's also going to be an interesting look at Reagan America.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 31, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
I have no idea what the 80s looked like. I thought they were making Keri Russel look like Kelly from Saved By the Bell. Obviously that doesnt make a lot of sense as that was the very end of the 80s, not 1980.

mmmm, Kelly Kapowski

Was never a huge fan of the Andy Griffith show, but I do find Leave it to Beaver charming after all this time. All in the Family is great. I don't know how much of any of them I'd want to watch, but watching an occasional episode or two is a nice window into the past. While it's easy to see how there were some reinforcements of dominant norms in these shows, there's also quite a bit of subversion as well.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 31, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
I have no idea what the 80s looked like. I thought they were making Keri Russel look like Kelly from Saved By the Bell. Obviously that doesnt make a lot of sense as that was the very end of the 80s, not 1980.

They captured the 80's well in the movie Boogie Nights, I'm sure there are other examples, as well. Cloths were very baggy, ultra colorful, hair was terrible, etc...

For a while there, colors like hot pink and neon green were worn by guys and girls alike.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 31, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
They captured the 80's well in the movie Boogie Nights, I'm sure there are other examples, as well. Cloths were very baggy, ultra colorful, hair was terrible, etc...

For a while there, colors like hot pink and neon green were worn by guys and girls alike.

You ever watch Freaks and Geeks? That was set in 1980.