Peavy: Pressure got to White Sox

YASNY

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
I'm surprised they didn't address the closer issue. Maybe there was nothing out there via trade to do it. I know they have some nice young arms, Roncon and Albuqueerque, but I think it could jump up and bite them in the ass again this season. I look for them to target a closer by the break. I think Hunter's production will be a non-factor given his age and I don't think VMart is going to the guy we saw in 2011. It's that Garcia who scares me.

Last year in the minors, Avisail Garcia had a K:BB of 5.28 last year (95 K, 18 BB), had 39 XBHs, went 23 of 31 in stolen bases (less than 75%), and he did that in 513 PAs.

He's probably going to be worse than Delmon Young.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
I'm surprised they didn't address the closer issue. Maybe there was nothing out there via trade to do it. I know they have some nice young arms, Roncon and Albuqueerque, but I think it could jump up and bite them in the ass again this season. I look for them to target a closer by the break. I think Hunter's production will be a non-factor given his age and I don't think VMart is going to the guy we saw in 2011. It's that Garcia who scares me.

I was sure they would sign Soriano.

Torii put up decent numbers in 2012.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
Torii put up decent numbers in 2012.

Yes he did. However, there are a lot of red flags regarding his season

#1) A career high .313 average (never hit .300 prior).

#2) Walked much less often (fewer than 40 times for first time since 2005)

#3) Set a career high in strikeouts (133)

#4) Large decline in power (fewest HR/PA since 2000)

#5) Age (going to be 37 next year)

So the only thing he got better in was hitting for average...somehow, I doubt that he improved himself as a hitter at the age of 36 while also striking out more. It is entirely possible that Torii Hunter hits around .250-.260 with no power and no walks. Likelier is that he regresses to about a .750 OPS, but I wouldn't expect anything more than that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)

So the only thing he got better in was hitting for average...somehow, I doubt that he improved himself as a hitter at the age of 36 while also striking out more. It is entirely possible that Torii Hunter hits around .250-.260 with no power and no walks. Likelier is that he regresses to about a .750 OPS, but I wouldn't expect anything more than that.

The move to Detroit is going to be putting a big dent in those numbers.

I don't know how people can criticize Peavy's season. The guy was excellent. Any better and he would have been a Cy Young Candidate. That's a lofty expectation.

After what he has been through he really surprised me. I must admit that he exceeded my expectations. I hope he is that good this year.

I love reading Jake Peavy's comments. Glad to see him point to an intangible - fading under pressure (choking may be the right word, but is kind of harsh)- down the stretch. I hope the Sox can be in the same situation heading into late August this season and see how they fare the final month this time. This team IMO has what it takes to be a maximum of 10 over .500 beginning in September. That's if everything goes well. I'd say the team will be anywhere between .500 and 10 over on Sept. 1. If the team is .500 it won't be contending. 10 over will be good enough to be right there with Detroit and Kansas City.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)

A lot of his numbers screamed "luck." He certainly benefited from having two of the best hitters in baseball in front and behind....but then again, he's going to have that benefit again.

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 09:34 PM)
I love reading Jake Peavy's comments. Glad to see him point to an intangible - fading under pressure (choking may be the right word, but is kind of harsh)- down the stretch. I hope the Sox can be in the same situation heading into late August this season and see how they fare the final month this time. This team IMO has what it takes to be a maximum of 10 over .500 beginning in September. That's if everything goes well. I'd say the team will be anywhere between .500 and 10 over on Sept. 1. If the team is .500 it won't be contending. 10 over will be good enough to be right there with Detroit and Kansas City.

If everything goes well and that's really well Sox could be 40 above .500 :P .Imagine Sale 20-7 , Peavy 18-9 , Floyd 16 -8 , Danks 15-9, Fifth Starters 15- 11 Viciedo .280 35 HR 95 RBI, PK, .290 30, 100 , Dunn .240, 40, 100 , Beckham breaks out, Alexei out producing his rookie year, Keppinger .300 10, 70 , DeAza .295, 10, 60 Rios .310 25 95.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 11:09 PM)
If everything goes well and that's really well Sox could be 40 above .500 :P .Imagine Sale 20-7 , Peavy 18-9 , Floyd 16 -8 , Danks 15-9, Fifth Starters 15- 11 Viciedo .280 35 HR 95 RBI, PK, .290 30, 100 , Dunn .240, 40, 100 , Beckham breaks out, Alexei out producing his rookie year, Keppinger .300 10, 70 , DeAza .295, 10, 60 Rios .310 25 95.

I'll dream along with ya.

April please.

Also, I moved to Kauai - will have to back out of the Cali Crew and start my own one man fan club here. LOL

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (TomSeaverFan @ Jan 30, 2013 -> 11:34 PM)

I genuinely believe that Kansas City will be below .500.