Ryan Hanigan Dealt to TB, Possible 3 Team Deal

SCCWS

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
If management believes we have already seen the best of Flowers/Phegley or that Phegley needs more AAA time, then sure.

I disagree with this mentality. You are going to have to give up something of value - it might be small or have little value, like a AAA reliever or a fallen prospect, but it's still value for a rebuilding franchise. Hanigan is 33 and turns 34 in August. The most you can ultimately expect him to be productive for is 2 years.

If he's non-tendered, sure, I don't care, bring him in. Then it just costs money. Right now, you are looking at giving up players, which is something the Sox are not in a position to do for a guy who is quite a ways on the wrong side of 30.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 10:53 AM)
I disagree with this mentality. You are going to have to give up something of value - it might be small or have little value, like a AAA reliever or a fallen prospect, but it's still value for a rebuilding franchise. Hanigan is 33 and turns 34 in August. The most you can ultimately expect him to be productive for is 2 years.

If he's non-tendered, sure, I don't care, bring him in. Then it just costs money. Right now, you are looking at giving up players, which is something the Sox are not in a position to do for a guy who is quite a ways on the wrong side of 30.

Agree but don't forget we have a young starting pitching staff w 2 basically inexperienced catchers. A veteran catcher even if he is a back-up can help w the development of the pitchers.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
Agree but don't forget we have a young starting pitching staff w 2 basically inexperienced catchers. A veteran catcher even if he is a back-up can help w the development of the pitchers.

That should not be a veteran catcher's job, that should be a coach's job. I'd rather go with 2 young catchers who can feed into each other while having a guy who has played catcher in the majors bring them along.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
That should not be a veteran catcher's job, that should be a coach's job. I'd rather go with 2 young catchers who can feed into each other while having a guy who has played catcher in the majors bring them along.

You totally underestimate the role of a catcher. Almost every year in the World series a rookie plays for one of the teams. This year Boston had a rookie 3b/SS play a pivotable role. But in history, there has only been 5 rookie catchers start in a World Series. Even more amazing, only 1 rookie catcher in history has played for the winning World Series team-----Buster Posey. Pitching coaches work with the pitchers all the time but the catcher is very important during the actual game. The old adage of having strength up the middle starts at catcher. Now maybe Flowers or Phegley are really good working with pitchers. But usually young catchers struggling offensively are not because they are working on their own problems.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
You totally underestimate the role of a catcher. Almost every year in the World series a rookie plays for one of the teams. This year Boston had a rookie 3b/SS play a pivotable role. But in history, there has only been 5 rookie catchers start in a World Series. Even more amazing, only 1 rookie catcher in history has played for the winning World Series team-----Buster Posey. Pitching coaches work with the pitchers all the time but the catcher is very important during the actual game. The old adage of having strength up the middle starts at catcher. Now maybe Flowers or Phegley are really good working with pitchers. But usually young catchers struggling offensively are not because they are working on their own problems.

This is all fine and dandy, but I do not consider the White Sox a contender for the World Series this year. I don't even consider them a contender for the division. If everything falls into place, then yes, but this can be said about all 30 teams and a lot of those teams are incredible long shots to get all of those things to fall into place. For the Sox to win, they'd need about 5-8 players to really break out and have great years while also needing injuries to strike the Tigers, Royals, and Indians.

What I hope the Sox front office is interested in is finding a young catcher that they believe has the tools to become an everyday catcher. A guy who can handle the staff, throw runners out, and hit the ball a little. If that's Flowers, Phegley, Perez, John Doe, or whoever, I don't care. What I am saying is that they will not have that guy moving forward in Ryan Hanigan.

Also, regarding Phegley and Flowers - I have no actual proof, because it's generally impossible for fans to prove it - but I imagine a lot of their problems stem from getting to know their pitchers and playing on a full time basis, which is not an easy task to undertake. Still, I think those two handled the staff about as well as any player in the majors could have handled that staff. Reports are that Flowers is great in the clubhouse, so I also imagine he's good with the pitchers too.

Edited by witesoxfan

While Hanigan would definitely be an upgrade, he hits right-handed just like Flowers and Phegley. I'm really interested to see what Hahn does because based on his comments, he's not going with Flowers/Phegley again. We'll know today whether or not Flowers is tendered a contract, which I would guess means Phegley back to AAA. The Sox didn't go for Dioneer Navarro who's getting 2 years/ $8 mil from the Blue Jays, which means the only lefty catcher's on the market are Salty and A.J. Otherwise there's the trade route with guys like Jaso or Hanigan. Or some other blockbuster we can't exactly picture just yet.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
I don't see the necessity of having a left handed hitting back up on this team. Again, I think the goal is to find a catcher you believe will be able to be a starter going forward.

I guess I assumed the lefty as being the starter. A righty who can hit right handers would be just fine, too. We don't have any of those either.

With someone like Navarro, who has hit in the past (last year, 2008) and also not hit (many other years) you could pencil him in as the strong side of the platoon and see if Flowers (Phegley) can outplay him for the job. Perhaps $8 mil was too much for that not guaranteed anything.