2015 Catch-All thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (MEANS @ May 18, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
Been pretty busy over the past couple weeks, but my wife and I welcomed our first child on 5-5-15. Hayden Michael Sterlachini. He came in at 7lbs 20" One more Sox fan in the family.

Awesome! Congrats!

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 18, 2015 -> 08:10 AM)
A lot of RV dealers rent out RVs. Might want to start there.

I've heard that depending on how far your trip is, it's actually cheaper to rent it for a longer period of time than you need. You'll get more free miles with a longer rental period and save the $.30-.35/mile charge over the initial free miles. My buddies just did this on a trek out to California and supposedly saved some money.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 16, 2015 -> 12:32 AM)
Anyone know a good RV rental company?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 18, 2015 -> 09:10 AM)
A lot of RV dealers rent out RVs. Might want to start there.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 18, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
I've heard that depending on how far your trip is, it's actually cheaper to rent it for a longer period of time than you need. You'll get more free miles with a longer rental period and save the $.30-.35/mile charge over the initial free miles. My buddies just did this on a trek out to California and supposedly saved some money.

Try these guys.

http://www.cruiseamerica.com/

Or here:

http://rvmenu.com/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&city...lassifications=

QUOTE (MEANS @ May 18, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
Been pretty busy over the past couple weeks, but my wife and I welcomed our first child on 5-5-15. Hayden Michael Sterlachini. He came in at 7lbs 20" One more Sox fan in the family.

congrats!

On a somewhat related note, I took my 2 year old to get a haircut on Saturday and he didnt cry, fuss, or yell. I felt like his mind was erased for a half hour and replaced when we walked out. They gave him a sucker, and he just sat on my lap and let the lady cut his hair

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 20, 2015 -> 08:38 PM)
Nothing makes me shake my head more than fast food workers asking for the wage rate of a college graduate.

What's worse is they are gaining traction. I know people with 10+ years of experience that are making less.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 21, 2015 -> 08:15 AM)
What's worse is they are gaining traction. I know people with 10+ years of experience that are making less.

Open bag of fries, pour into fryer, hit button, make 30k

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 20, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
Nothing makes me shake my head more than fast food workers asking for the wage rate of a college graduate.

Nothing makes me shake my head more than the idea that you can work a 40 hour a week position in this country and not be able to afford a decent life.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
Nothing makes me shake my head more than the idea that you can work a 40 hour a week position in this country and not be able to afford a decent life.

Define decent. Would having satellite tv, iphones, internet and flat screen TV's be part of that?

And 40 hours is bulls*** if you want to be comfortable, most of us work way more than that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
Define decent. Would having satellite tv, iphones, internet and flat screen TV's be part of that?

And 40 hours is bulls*** if you want to be comfortable, most of us work way more than that.

I seriously hate this line of thought. Yes, people who have jobs should be able to afford cell phones. Yes they should be able to afford a television. And it's not the Tv/Internet that gets people in trouble these days any more, its health care costs and college costs if they have families.

A century ago you could have said the same thing about people who worked in factories. We decided as a society that those were instead going to be decent jobs, jobs that people could actually afford to live off of. People could say the exact same junk about lazy people on assembly lines turning bolts and how they don't work hard enough to deserve a decent life. At least for a while we decided to be better than that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
I seriously hate this line of thought. Yes, people who have jobs should be able to afford cell phones. Yes they should be able to afford a television. And it's not the Tv/Internet that gets people in trouble these days any more, its health care costs and college costs if they have families.

A century ago you could have said the same thing about people who worked in factories. We decided as a society that those were instead going to be decent jobs, jobs that people could actually afford to live off of. People could say the exact same junk about lazy people on assembly lines turning bolts and how they don't work hard enough to deserve a decent life. At least for a while we decided to be better than that.

Ok but not those luxury goods, then yes making even minimum wage people can live a decent life. They can have shelter, food, indoor plumbling, electricity, can send their kids to school and have basic healthcare. And if they work at that job hard enough they may even make MORE money. So it is possible in this country.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
I seriously hate this line of thought. Yes, people who have families and careers should be able to afford cell phones. Yes they should be able to afford a television. And it's not the Tv/Internet that gets people in trouble these days any more, its health care costs and college costs if they have families.

Fixed. Cashiers at McDonalds are not working a career and they certainly shouldn't be working that job as a career with a family.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)
Ok but not those luxury goods, then yes making even minimum wage people can live a decent life. They can have shelter, food, indoor plumbling, electricity, can send their kids to school and have basic healthcare. And if they work at that job hard enough they may even make MORE money. So it is possible in this country.

There are 0 parts of Los Angeles County, for example, where a $15/hour minimum wage full time job can afford that list, especially since you included kids. 2 full time $15 minimum wage jobs can barely pull that while renting a 2 bedroom apartment based on livability calculations/rent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
There are 0 parts of Los Angeles County, for example, where a $15/hour minimum wage full time job can afford that list, especially since you included kids. 2 full time $15 minimum wage jobs can barely pull that while renting a 2 bedroom apartment based on livability calculations/rent.

That 31% criteria is crap. Literally no one follows that, especially right out of school.

edit: lol, for Chicago it says you need to make $69k to afford a $1700/month apartment. First off, that "median rent" is obviously not the goal of post-college grads. You live cheaply, especially when you're young and single. That's like saying college grads can't afford a 60k car right off the bat. They can't and shouldn't.

Second, even assuming $1700 is the target, that's EASILY affordable on a 70k salary. s***, my wife and I started with one income, her making about 40k, living in a 1500/month apartment and we did totally fine.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)

Nothing in that article supports that you cannot make it on minimum wage in this country.

So if you live within your means in an affordable pad in a place that isnt downtown San Francisco you will be ok. Even if you have to work minimum wage for a few years and live lean, if you are a hard worker you will make more at some point. Plus 40 hours a week is a LUXURY. I made 23k out of college and worked 2 jobs to afford what I wanted. I worked 10 plus hours a day 7 days a week to move up. Oh and I lived in Lincoln Park in Chicago, which by your crappy link would have required much more money to even make ends meet for rent.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 21, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
Fixed. Cashiers at McDonalds are not working a career and they certainly shouldn't be working that job as a career with a family.

Then we need to start generating some other jobs, because >1/2 of the people who are doing those jobs are over 25. More than 1/2 of fast food front line workers are on public assistance and being paid for in part by the taxpayers, either through medicaid and CHIP for health care, food stamps, TANF, or the Earned Income Tax Credit.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2015 -> 01:48 PM)
Nothing in that article supports that you cannot make it on minimum wage in this country.

So if you live within your means in an affordable pad in a place that isnt downtown San Francisco you will be ok. Even if you have to work minimum wage for a few years and live lean, if you are a hard worker you will make more at some point. Plus 40 hours a week is a LUXURY. I made 23k out of college and worked 2 jobs to afford what I wanted. I worked 10 plus hours a day 7 days a week to move up. Oh and I lived in Lincoln Park in Chicago, which by your crappy link would have required much more money to even make ends meet for rent.

What you're not realizing is THIS IS A PROBLEM.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
What you're not realizing is THIS IS A PROBLEM.

Why is it a problem? People shouldnt have to work for what they get? If you want luxuries and opportunities in life you have to work for them. Too many people expect to do the minimum and get handouts, THATS the problem.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 21, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
Why is it a problem? People shouldnt have to work for what they get? If you want luxuries and opportunities in life you have to work for them. Too many people expect to do the minimum and get handouts, THATS the problem.

Should health care coverage be a handout? If you get sick can you just work harder to get over that? Should the ability for kids to go to college be a handout?