2016 Minor League Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 21, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)
Fangraphs today mentioned a Sox catching prospect that I have never heard of before

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/katoh-proje...eper-prospects/

Dowdy is an org soldier. Backup C, gets sent all over the system. Smart guy, decent defensive catcher, handles pitchers well. But he's not a prospect. He's never even been a starter in the minors.

I'd say pretty good. I think his start has been a blip, and he will be rocking again in no time.

I'm going to see Charlotte play at Louisville that day. Would be cool if he's on the roster then and even cooler if he actually pitches. Got seats right behind their dugout.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
Kim ~CopperStateAs

‏@Cu_As 20s20 seconds ago Phoenix, AZ

@FutureSox ICYMI: @Intimidators Seby Zavala leads all of MiLB with 12 CS (in 10 games)

CS is a base runner stat so I found that confusing at first.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 26, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)

Likely means Johan Cruz is returning to Kanny.

I expect Lassiter to move up soon too. He's 23, he's clearly passed the challenge at the level, and that Kanny outfield is crowded with Sullivan, Adolfo and Rodriguez also there.

So, here are all the moves today...

C Kevan Smith to the DL

C Hector Sanchez to Chicago

C Omar Narvaez to Charlotte

C Chris O'Dowd to Birmingham

C Sean O'Connell to Winston-Salem

C Daniel Gonzalez to Kannapolis

INF Danny Mendick to Winston-Salem

INF Cleuluis Rondon to Kannapolis

OF Louis Silverio to Winston-Salem

OF Michael Danner released

INF Dante Flores to Kannapolis

C Daniel Gonazalez to Kannapolis

Not sure I've ever seen that many in-season moves in one day before.

Sadly, this probably means Johan Cruz' injury isn't minor. They wouldn't bother shipping Flores from AZ to NC if Cruz was back in a few days.

Also interesting, BHAM now has two catchers that are really minor league backups: Dowdy and O'Dowd. Fun name pairing too.

Kinda surprised that, with 4 legit outfield prospects in Kanny, the promotion was the one bench guy (Silverio). I suppose he's replacing Danner, who was their bench guy anyway, so it makes sense.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 4, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
Micker Adolfo to the DL

Alex Katz to Expanded ST

Jaider Rocha to Expanded ST

OF Michael Suiter, RHP Chris Comito, and RHP Jake Charleston all to Kanny.

Micker Adolfo getting Soler-itis

Very strange to demote Engel. Yeah he has a low batting average but his BABIP is at .225 when the lowest it had been at any other level was .304. He was walking loads and had a 89 wRC+ despite the low BABIP.

If it's purely to make room for Basto, I don't get it either, he's not a serious prospect in my eyes.

Edited by Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 9, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
Very strange to demote Engel. Yeah he has a low batting average but his BABIP is at .225 when the lowest it had been at any other level was .304. He was walking loads and had a 89 wRC+ despite the low BABIP.

If it's purely to make room for Basto, I don't get it either, he's not a serious prospect in my eyes.

Zero chance they demote Engel purely to make room for Basto. This has to be because something is very wrong on Engel. Basto just happens to be the one most deserving of the slot opened up.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 9, 2016 -> 11:24 AM)
Zero chance they demote Engel purely to make room for Basto. This has to be because something is very wrong on Engel. Basto just happens to be the one most deserving of the slot opened up.

Any theories as to what that might be? Don't get it purely from a statistically point of view.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 9, 2016 -> 12:27 PM)
Any theories as to what that might be? Don't get it purely from a statistically point of view.

They obviously see something. This isn't a stats thing. The fact that he's walking a ton but hitting below the Mendoza line indicates he may be lacking a good approach, so he waits and hopes. But I haven't seen him play in person yet this year so I can't really say.