Corey Zangari feature

southsider2k5

I wonder if they've considered having him play somewhere besides 1st (like 3rd or RF). With a big arm it seems a shame to have it at first. Then again, they may not want to mess with his head by screwing more with his position. Or maybe, he's just a butcher in the field.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 01:56 PM)
I wonder if they've considered having him play somewhere besides 1st (like 3rd or RF). With a big arm it seems a shame to have it at first. Then again, they may not want to mess with his head by screwing more with his position. Or maybe, he's just a butcher in the field.

He's pretty bad at 1B as it is. Scouting reports we got say as much, even Capra has said it (in a more elegant way). He made 15 errors in 50 games at first base. That's... sub-optimal. He's young and can improve there, but stretching him to the outfield or third base would probably be a disaster.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
He's pretty bad at 1B as it is. Scouting reports we got say as much, even Capra has said it (in a more elegant way). He made 15 errors in 50 games at first base. That's... sub-optimal. He's young and can improve there, but stretching him to the outfield or third base would probably be a disaster.

He's 18. How many ground balls and throws in the dirt will he take in next 3 years? How good were guys like Konerko and Thome at fielding when they were 18? In order to improve a lot, you need lots of room for improvement. If he hits this year, he will be a great prospect.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 07:17 AM)
He's 18. How many ground balls and throws in the dirt will he take in next 3 years? How good were guys like Konerko and Thome at fielding when they were 18? In order to improve a lot, you need lots of room for improvement. If he hits this year, he will be a great prospect.

I think you're missing that I was responding to this...

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 01:56 PM)

I wasn't saying he can't get better. I was saying if he struggles that much at 1B, moving him to 3B or OF is a bad idea.

I hope he's a good 240 and not a Bartolo Colon 240 if you will. Hopefully the Sox are turning that baby weight into muscle.

Who knows how big sports science and advanced physiology and nutrition are in MLB as they are in the NFL, maybe that's something to look into

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
I hope he's a good 240 and not a Bartolo Colon 240 if you will. Hopefully the Sox are turning that baby weight into muscle.

Who knows how big sports science and advanced physiology and nutrition are in MLB as they are in the NFL, maybe that's something to look into

Based on what I've seen in photos and video, and what I've heard from our AZ correspondant, he's very strong and probably has a little weight to lose but not a lot. But if you want to see a bad weight guy, check out Taylore Cherry. Good lord.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
Based on what I've seen in photos and video, and what I've heard from our AZ correspondant, he's very strong and probably has a little weight to lose but not a lot. But if you want to see a bad weight guy, check out Taylore Cherry. Good lord.

Taylore-Cherry.jpg

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 13, 2016 -> 07:17 AM)

At 18 Konerko was a catcher and Thome was a 3B. Both were pretty good.