Neal Cotts

sox-r-us

What do people see in this guy? He has to walk someone every inning (and very likely the lead off man).....he has major control issues throwing wild pitches .....and he has no real strike out pitch....he does not throw more than 90 with his fast ball

Why the hell is he so hyped up? :huh:

Look at the other guy the As threw out there ....that guy looked like a young stud with his Zito-esque breaking ball

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do people see in this guy? He has to walk someone every inning (and very likely the lead off man).....he has major control issues throwing wild pitches .....and he has no real strike out pitch....he does not throw more than 90 with his fast ball

Why the hell is he so hyped up?  :huh:

Look at the other guy the As threw out there ....that guy looked like a young stud with his Zito-esque breaking ball

Give me a break, man. Cotts lost it tonight. Fine. Even though I think he was totally f***ed over on a couple 3-2 fastballs that were clear strikes but got called for balls. But overall he's been great outta the pen.

Repost from the GameThread

-------------------------------

I've defended Neal pretty vehemently here before, but he's got to learn how to pitch. He knows how to throw pitches, but he needs to learn what he can throw, when, and where.

Lecroy, Morneau, Phelps, and now Kielty, he threw Change-ups up in the zone. Actually I don't remember what he threw LeCroy, That one looked more like a fly out -- But I think that was an 0-2 pitch.

Jreedfan

Maybe it is my frustration talking here....but pray tell me what you see in this guy?

I am so tired of hearing about our hyped up pitching kids in the minors none of which amount to anything (except for Buerhle)

Kip Wells, Dan Wright, Josh Fogg, Kevin Bierne etc etc and now this guy

Get his WHIP #s and take a look at them. The guy just cannot pitch when it counts. Adkins has shown me more than this guy has.

His fastball is quick. It looks faster then 90. Just like Politte's looks slower then 96.

So Cotts had a bad night. Thank Uribe, Jose, Paulie, Frank, and even Eric Chavez that we were even in this game. Uribe made a hell of a player, Jose, Paulie, and Frank are self-explanatory, and Eric Chavez missed a homer by like an inch or two...he just hit the ball on the bad part of the bat, otherwise that's gone.

We lost to a good team, and we damn near won a game we probably shouldn't have. Get over it. Move on. The sun will rise tomorrow.

....and that's supposed to be done in the minors.

True, and I don't know why he isn't as well if he's a "starter." He needs to learn how to mix up his pitches, not throw the off speed stuf high in the zone etc. I just hate it when people start threads after a player messes up. I bet if Valentin would have K'd instead of hit that homerun, this thread never gets started and some jackass will start a thread on how bad Valentin is.

Jreedfan

Maybe it is my frustration talking here....but pray tell me what you see in this guy?

I am so tired of hearing about our hyped up pitching kids in the minors none of which amount to anything (except for Buerhle)

Get his WHIP #s and take a look at them. The guy just cannot pitch when it counts. Adkins has shown me more than this guy has.

Oh yeah kip wells is really a piece of s***.

Kip is a damn Fine pitcher who you No doubt gave up on too early --

If you don't want to hear about our prospects, you don't have to listen.

Jreedfan

I see potential, I see a hell of a pitcher, I see a good make-up. The only thing Neal needs is better mechanics and to take that knowledge in his head and use it. Plus, he was traded here, he didn't come out of the organization like the other names you mentioned. BTW, I think the tiredness is talking here, not you.

In the last 3 weeks, Neal singlehandedly lost 3 games for the Sox.

In Toronto.

In Minnesota.

In Oakland.

When the game is on the line, his curve all but disappears, change-up stays up and fastball either misses by a foot or is put on a T for a hitter to hammer. A headcase in a Sox organization? You don't say.

But to be fair, Sox deserved to lose this game any way: from Konerko's baserunning blunder that had him doubled up in 2nd....to Rowand's 2 bobbles and 0-fer at plate.....to Valentin failing to get down a bunt.....to Konerko chasing a change-up in the dirt with 2 aboard......to Crede DP-happy ineptitude and "slipping" while fielding a grounder.....to Olivo choking in front of Billie Beane.....to Timo Perez's worthlessness.......to Gload not paying attention and failing to take advantage of Crosby's wild throw.....to Ozzie sending Gload.....to Loaiza's TOTAL ineptitude.....to Marte losing his s*** in the 10th.

Kip is decent, but he is no #1....I remember after the 2000 season how we supposedly had the best minor league pitching staff in the world

Yeah riiiiggghhhhttttt

All i'm saying is that you cannot ever put him in the same category as Dan Wright and Josh Fogg.

Kip is decent, but he is no #1....I remember after the 2000 season how we supposedly had the best minor league pitching staff in the world

Yeah riiiiggghhhhttttt

So dont' listen -- Here's the scouting report on our minor league system: Every player is a piece of s***. Not one will amount to anything in the big leagues.

There now if you believe that scouting report you can only be pleasantly surprised and can't complain about the HYPE.

Jordanfan

Cotts has already lost us 3 games on his own

Anyone can pitch when we have a 5 run lead, which is the position he pitches in most of the time

Show me something with the game on the line when you have to make pitches...he has shown me squat there

I would say decent not outstanding because like brando fan said he has single handedly lost three games for the sox.

Well I didn't count the Twins gm that he started. Everybody knows he was set up to fail. Other than tonight i've been very pleased with Neal outta the pen. His era was below 3 from what I can remember.

This is a team game. No player will lose a game for their team. Some players do screw up in these game. It might not be all the players, but some, damn near most of them. Could be a failed bunt attempt, to an error. BTW, notice that Cotts has stuggled on the road than at home. It's like he can't handle the pressure to make big pitches in away games than at home. He still needs some seasoning IMO.