Contreras

Rowand44

Since there are a lot of people in the game thread b****ing about him I'd thought I'd start this thread. Yes, he didn't pitch a good game tonight but he threw strikes. Jose today was getting ahead of hitters for the most part and he just got beat by Detroits hitters. He got hit hard today but he didn't beat himself. You will rarely see Jose give up a lot of runs when he's throwing strikes, this is probably the first game all year when he's pitched bad that the opposition beat him and he didn't beat himself. Basically what I'm trying to say is I'm not worried about this outing but rather kind of encouraged, this is two straight outings where he's had great control, if he throws strikes like he has the past two games he'll be a very good starting pitcher for us the rest of the year.

Just wanted to get that out in the open and see how everyone else feels or I should say everyone who hasn't given up on JC yet. :)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
Only thing I can really say now is that you have to throw all the stats out when Jose takes the bump, and just see what happens. It's a toss up everytime he takes the mound, which isn't what I want going down the stretch,but O'well.

Go Get'em next start Jose.

Exactly. Schmidt is not a "toss-up" whenever he goes out. You can expect him to be successful and you can expect him to work hard. Contreras, not so much.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
Only thing I can really say now is that you have to throw all the stats out when Jose takes the bump, and just see what happens. It's a toss up everytime he takes the mound, which isn't what I want going down the stretch,but O'well.

Go Get'em next start Jose.

Actually the stats are in Jose's favor.

12 of his 19 starts this year he's given up 3 runs or less.

If you would have told me that would be the case for Jose at the beginning of the year I would have taken it and run for the hills.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
Thanks Rowand, now you just gave them another place to start arguing. :P

I was thinking about that when I made this and thought maybe it wasn't such a great idea but just had to get it out there.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
Exactly. Schmidt is not a "toss-up" whenever he goes out. You can expect him to be successful and you can expect him to work hard. Contreras, not so much.

Just leave this thread alone. Use the other one for the negative comments and leave this one for the positives. Less arguments that way.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)

LOL, and you can pretty much expect him to give up around 5 runs per game. I can't believe you are still arguing this.

You are correct in saying it's not a toss up, most of the times he is going to be ineffective, unlike Contreras.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
LOL, and you can pretty much expect him to give up around 5 runs per game. I can't believe you are still arguing this.

You are correct in saying it's not a toss up, most of the times he is going to be ineffective, unlike Contreras.

:o :headshake There is no use in arguing. You're making Schmidt sound like he is a horrible pitcher.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:03 PM)
:o  :headshake There is no use in arguing. You're making Schmidt sound like he is a horrible pitcher.

This year he has been. A 4.80 ERA in a pitcher's park in a pitcher's league will do that to you.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
This year he has been. A 4.80 ERA in a pitcher's park in a pitcher's league will do that to you.

How about pitching injured for the 1st 1/4 of a year? Let's see how Count does pitching with an injury huh?

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 03:05 AM)
I have no problem with Jose, he sure as hell doesn't suck.

I don't think he sucks either I just wish he could get the run support that Jon or El Duque gets because if he gives up that early three run homer like tonight its over.

QUOTE(chisoxfan79 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
I don't think he sucks either I just wish he could get the run support that Jon or El Duque gets because if he gives up that early three run homer like tonight its over.

I will agree with you there. But that's not his fault. They come back for El Duque and Garland and Freddy, but not Jose, our most fragile pitcher. IT's gotta be frustrating.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
How about pitching injured for the 1st 1/4 of a year? Let's see how Count does pitching with an injury huh?

Would you say Schmidt is completely healthy right now?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)

So let's give up a bunch of talent for someone who has been injured early in the year and has provided less output than someone we already have on the team right? Schmidt has not been that great this year and, even though I think he would better than Count/Duke, I fail to see the reason to trade for a mystery player when you have a 13 game lead in your division.

I'll just say this, for all the people who say he's fine and a good number 4 starter, fine. Playoff winning teams do not have "number 4" starters. If he's still in the rotation come October, this team won't win anything. It's all about the ring, beating out Minnesota isn't enough IMO.

QUOTE(JohnStamos @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
So let's give up a bunch of talent for someone who has been injured early in the year and has provided less output than someone we already have on the team right?  Schmidt has not been that great this year and, even though I think he would better than Count/Duke, I fail to see the reason to trade for a mystery player when you have a 13 game lead in your division.

A little contradictory, no?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
As provided by Milkman, 2.77 ERA in last 6 starts sound damn healthy to me...

What about his velocity? All I'm saying is don't automatically expect he's going to do that when he pitches at the Cell when you have a look at his BAA and away splits.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
What about his velocity? All I'm saying is don't automatically expect he's going to do that when he pitches at the Cell when you have a look at his BAA and away splits.

With a slider and change like his, his velocity is not a s big an issue. It's not like he relies COMPLETELY on his fastball. Look at MB or Maddux, not great velocity by any means but location and control. Schmidt can afford to be a bit low in velocity but from what I have read/heard, his velocity is on the rise.