Calling all Soxtalk minor league gurus.

Jordan4life_2007

Alright, I've pretty much lost track of our entire system (mostly due to it's ineptitude and injuries to guys like Mitchell and Thompson). Sorry, Chase Blackwood and Ryan Buch don't do much for me. The question is who's put themselves on the prospect map this year? I mean legitimate prospects. Not some 26 year old in AAA that had a good year. Anybody to look forward to going into next year? Thank you for your time.

Andre Rienzo. In Low-A, but has been striking out a lot of guys. 22 year-old Brazilian. He needs to be pushed next year so he can be more age appropriate, but his background and numbers support him being a solid prospect. The Kanny MR guy really liked him, low to mid 90s fastball.

Jose Martinez

Andy Wilkins

Andre Rienzo

Matt Heidenreich

In the low minors. Not much in the high minors but Eduardo Escobar and Josh Phegley have looked good in AA so far. Charles Leesman has put up decent numbers there as well.

I like Rangel Ravelo but he isn't on the map quite yet. I was liking Leighton Pangilinan before he disappeared.

Oh yeah can't forget Tyler Saladino. Good things being said about him.

Edited by daggins

Watch out for guys like Micheal Blanke and as mentioned Saladino in a couple years. Tyler is one of my favorite prospects currently in Kanny and IMO, Blanke will probably be the sox best catching prospect (no matter what happens to Flowers) next season. I'm biased toward a couple of prospects who I've seen play before and or who I've met personally (Dan Black for example) that I'm alittle blind to hope they can succeed/be good. I call it, the Jeremy Reed effect. :D

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 04:15 AM)
Watch out for guys like Micheal Blanke and as mentioned Saladino in a couple years. Tyler is one of my favorite prospects currently in Kanny and IMO, Blanke will probably be the sox best catching prospect (no matter what happens to Flowers) next season. I'm biased toward a couple of prospects who I've seen play before and or who I've met personally (Dan Black for example) that I'm alittle blind to hope they can succeed/be good. I call it, the Jeremy Reed effect. :D

Ok. Second time you've said this now. Are you basing this opinion entirely on the numbers he is putting up as a 21 year old in rookie ball, or is there some glowing scouting report that I've missed?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 11:08 PM)
Alright, I've pretty much lost track of our entire system (mostly due to it's ineptitude and injuries to guys like Mitchell and Thompson). Sorry, Chase Blackwood and Ryan Buch don't do much for me. The question is who's put themselves on the prospect map this year? I mean legitimate prospects. Not some 26 year old in AAA that had a good year. Anybody to look forward to going into next year? Thank you for your time.

What's wrong with Buch? He's as legit as any other pitcher in the system and he certain doesn't belong in the same class as a Chase Blackwood.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Sep 2, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)
Ok. Second time you've said this now. Are you basing this opinion entirely on the numbers he is putting up as a 21 year old in rookie ball, or is there some glowing scouting report that I've missed?

Alittle bit of both, more-so how weak our catching crop is and remember the last time I said "just a hunch" so I'm betting he hits very well next season moving up. I'm a big fan of Miguel though, and I'm not sold at all on Phegley. So yes Jeff, get your Vegas money ready when were betting.

I know it's popular to bash the farm system, but it's really not that bad. Yes, we're weak at the upper levels due to trades and some poor picks by the old regime. But one more draft pretty much flushes that out. Fact is that we've come a long way. If you think I'm wrong, go back and look at the last 3 years of draft results of other MLB teams and compare.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 05:34 AM)
Almost 23 years old in rookie/A ball? The system is worse than I thought.

Low-A at 22 one year out of college isn't that bad. A good 2011 season and he'll be hitting Double-A at 23. The numbers/scouting reports are there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 08:50 AM)
Brandon Short was on the periphery of the radar coming into this season, but he's not only played very well, we've also seen multiple scouting tidbits that speak very highly of him. He's someone to watch as well.

I'm assuming he's hurt since he hasnt played in a while, but anyone have any concrete info on his status right now?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 3, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
Because he's holding his own and showing decent power capabilities as a 19 year old in A ball?

Yeah I was going to say, if anything, he's show better performance than expected for his age and level. He's toolsy to say the least, but was considered very raw.