Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 1, 2015 -> 04:49 PM) Space eater is a good call not much of a pass rusher at all. Which isn't what you are looking for out of your 3-4 NT. This should be really nice and he does a good job commanding double teams, etc, thus freeing up the LB's and other playmakers. Solid athlete and in my opinion not much difference in him vs. some of the NT's that went sooner. Really like this and fills a major need position (since Ratliff is the only NT we have right now, imo). We'll have to see how our lb's perform, given the new guys and people moving to the position as part of the new scheme.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
Eddie Goldman to Bears. Should be a nice space eater. Would have also been okay with the OT.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 1, 2015 -> 10:41 AM) I agree with you about the OTs, but I don't think any of those guys make it to 39, especially Fisher and Clemmings. In full agreement but I see very few scenarios with Fisher falling to 39. Think it is more likely (although I would bank on it) that one of Landon / Gregory falls to 39.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (scs787 @ May 1, 2015 -> 10:37 AM) With all Fox and Pace have said about character I'd be a little surprised if they took Gregory. I for one would like to wait a bit on OLB. Bears have McPhee as a lock starter there. Then you have Allen, Young, Bass, Jones, SMC, and apparently Houston all getting looks at the other spot. Add in a mid round draft pick to the mix and I think one of those guys can be the starter. The more I think about it, I want one of the OTs. I think right now Mills is the weak link on this team, and Fisher/Donovan Smith/Clemmings all match up as BPA meeting a need. What are the character issues? I thought the biggest concern were whether he could handle the rigors of football. I know all of the reports have been "vague" outside of his pot issue, however, I don't know that it takes the extreme of character concerns. Did he have off the field issues involving violence, etc?
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (scs787 @ May 1, 2015 -> 10:24 AM) The rules for CBs that changed not too long ago is the reason for that. A trade down would have been nice, I can agree with that, but I don't see how White could be considered a risky pick. I never said risky. I do look at some of those wideouts on the bust list and I would have said there were red flags, whether Austin, Ginn, Williams (both of them) or Hayward Bey and in fact would probably have said all of them were taken too high (and would have said it at the time). The ones that panned out, outside of Braylon Edwards (who I was pretty high on), I always felt were safe picks. Rogers was guy I was wrong about but his bustness was more due to injuries.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 1, 2015 -> 10:24 AM) Aaron Leming tweeted that Bears covet Randy Gregory on Day 2. He's clearly a talent. I long wanted him at 7.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 1, 2015 -> 10:00 AM) Ill see if I can find that information without having to do a ton of work, here is a list I found: http://nesn.com/2011/02/drafting-wide-rece...iving-thoughts/ David Terrell (Bears, No. 8, 2001) Koren Robinson (Seahawks, No. 9, 2001) Charles Rogers (Lions, No. 2, 2003) Andre Johnson (Texans, No. 3, 2003) Larry Fitzgerald (Cardinals, No. 3, 2004) Roy Williams (Lions, No. 7, 2004) Reggie Williams (Jaguars, No. 9, 2004) Braylon Edwards (Browns, No. 3, 2005) Troy Williamson (Vikings, No. 7, 2005) Mike Williams (Lions, No. 10, 2005) Calvin Johnson (Lions, No. 2, 2007) Ted Ginn Jr. (Dolphins, No. 9, 2007) Darrius Heyward-Bey (Raiders, No. 9, 2009) Michael Crabtree (49ers, No. 10, 2009) 2011 AJ and Julio 2012 Justin Blackmon 2013 Tavon Austin 2014 Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans So from 2007 on the answer would be: Ted Ginn, Heyward-Bey, Michael Crabtree, Blackmon, Austin That is a horrifically high bust rate when you look at that list. That said, people seem to think receivers are built to adjust much easier now than even 3-4 years ago. We shall see though.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 1, 2015 -> 09:54 AM) I cant seem to find this anywhere. The only thing close Ive found is: 6. The lack of trades last night was surprising, given all the talk. Problem was there were more who wanted to move down than up. So that seems to suggest some wanted to move up. The market may not have been amazing, but still I cant imagine that the Chargers wouldn't have been interested in trading up and getting whatever RB they wanted. Now who knows what the value was, but itd be impossible to imagine they wouldnt have offered 1,4,5 for it (which is what they gave San Fran). I believe he said it on twitter. Biggs reported that he didn't buy into the talk Bears were working with Titans and said he thought it was Titans trying to drive up leverage to increase other teams offers (probably Eagles). Multiple NFL insiders reported very little interest in teams moving around in this years draft (at least top half of 1st round) due to the fact that the general consensus in the league was their were basically 16 players who were a cut above everyone else and as a result, not much jockeying. Teams picking in that top 16 wanted one of those guys and the teams behind would have had to make more substantial offers than usual to move up and by and large no one was interested (w/exception of Chargers and that was a minimal move and more probably due to Niners having different focus and already having all of the guys they had graded in that spot off the board).
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 1, 2015 -> 08:50 AM) Im not sure that Michael Haynes or defensive ends have anything to do with the fact that historically speaking the most productive wr's have not been picked in the top 10. Thats not an opinion piece, that is an actual fact. So while White may turn into the best wr ever, historically its the guys who are picked later than 10 who go on to become the top players. Maybe the Bears will be ahead of the curve, but guys like Julio Jones, AJ Green, Mike Evans and Calvin Johnson all had multiple 800 yard + seasons. (Those were the only 4 top 10 wrs who were in the top 20 for yards last year). Its not that Im against drafting a WR, I just think that when you take "Bears" blinders off you have to acknowledge that top 10 wrs are historically a risky pick and there is not a lot of Super Bowl teams that were built on a foundation of one. Let alone when you talk about a guy with 1 productive season. Hope that Kevin White becomes the best wr ever, but acting like taking a wr that high is a safe bet is pretty faulty. So those were the only 4 in the top 20...but out of that era of players drafted, what other ones taken in top 10 didn't show up on that list?
-
White Sox own worst ERA since Apr 29
Closing them both....Jobu approves!
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
That is what I am talking about boys!!! Heck of a game...now we can start talking about the Cavs!!! Going to be a tough series and we are going to have to play good, crisp basketball. I hope we look back later this summer and think about how the physical play and strong defense of the Bucks helped make us a better team and better prepared to reach our ultimate goal this season (the Title)!!! Now lets get those Cavs!!! Game 1 is going to be big, in fact, I think game 1 is bigger for Bulls than it is Cavs.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (GoSox05 @ May 1, 2015 -> 08:22 AM) I like it. I like the comparisons to Tyrann Mathieu and Devin McCourty. Someone who can play slot corner / free safety. I like that Matt Bowen really likes him. I trust his judgement on DB. Everything I read had him going in the late first or early second. My view is, publications are publications. When push comes to shove you see what teams and front offices really think. I've said for a long time Collins didn't belong in the 1st round (he just had too many flaws and wasn't worthy of going that early)...now he is dropping to a spot where he actually makes sense. If Bears could get him or Gregory, I would be exstatic.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 08:57 PM) Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Dez Bryant, Larry Fitzgerald - 0 super bowl titles. You have to build inside out. I hate the pick. But don't worry, guy will go for 1,400 and 10 TD regularly, and the Bears will miss the playoffs regularly, too. Look at the teams winning Super Bowls. They don't invest in WR in the draft. I think the highest picked WR to win a super bowl the last decade Is Hakeem Nicks at 29. Valid points, however, I think we got ourselves a good player and that is critical. To me, the critical positions in the league are the lines and QB and it is where you should invest the bulk.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
Maybe Bears can convince Browns to become an alia in the trade and send Jay to Cleveland where he can help them win much quicker (given their d and existing weapons). Going to guess not but who the heck knows.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 04:13 PM) ALL BIDNESS 8-0 DROSE can't buy a bucket Not sure if sarcastic or not but he played strong D thus far and was doing great job being aggressive and leading to offense. This is exactly how I want Rose playing (and the rest of the team for that matter). Hopefully they can keep it up and take the crowd fully out of the game and keep them the hell out of it.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 01:06 PM) There is no way they can outbid Chip for that pick so I cant see this one happening. All depends on what the Titans want. Their GM has been quoted as saying their are 16 players worthy of a 1st round grade. If that is the case, than Chip might not be able to offer what the Bears could (whic his still a top 1st round pick). We could also overhaul their offense and include a 1st, Forte, and Cutler. If they want to win now, that offer would be hard to beat (this presumes they still have faith in Jay. I am absolutely okay with that move. Not sure if it is enough or not as it depends on how you value that vs. Cleveland offering up 2 1st (through the Eagles supposedly). I want Marcus!!!
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 12:40 PM) Shayne L. Marsaw @wasram · 50m 50 minutes ago According to @RapSheet the @ChicagoBears are in contact with Titans to move up to 2nd overall to draft Mariota. #Bears #2015NFLDraft I really hope this isn't true. I certainly hope we end up talking Mariotta on the Bears. I can get fully behind it. I love his attitude and talent. I have no idea how he will adjust to NFL offenses and it was why I have never been absolutely sold on him, but if Bears brass is, I have zero problem getting behind a guy at QB who is smart, a winner, hard working, and has athleticism and good arm.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 12:46 PM) Enjoy the fact that they're one of 16 teams in the playoffs? Cmon now. I admit I've been overly pessimistic about the Bulls since the offseason but I don't see them having a legit shot to go deep. Good...you'll end up with crow on your face. Injuries, etc, this team has played very good basketball against the better teams in the NBA. Is it as good of a team as I expected, no, but it is still the 2nd best team in the East, imo.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
Drew Brees was 2nd round.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
People, quit b****ing. This is why we have no home court advantage thus far in the playoffs. Enjoy the fact that this squad is there and they have a legit shot at going deep. And stop talking about the Cavs...right now, the Bucks are the matter.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 03:58 PM) I know the odds are against it, but let's not forget that the 2014 winning/2015 losing Super Bowl QB was drafted in the 3rd round. And last years winner and a total stud was drafted in the 6th round.
-
2015-2016 NFL Thread
QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 12:31 PM) I don't mind the idea of trading away Marty, but there is basically nothing at the TE position after him. I know he wants a new deal, but we've still got him under control for two years at a really reasonable price. Not sure that a 3rd/4th round pick is worth trading away a guy with his skillset at age 28. I think Bennett is an explosive TE. I don't trade him unless we are talking about a 2nd round pick. I doubt we would get that, but if we could, i'm all for it.
-
Job Hunt Thread
QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 03:17 PM) So I kind of need to present my bosses with what I want for them to keep me (forever, to use their words). I can negotiate a lot of things, but Ive never asked for a raise in my life. I dont want to insult them but I definitely want to ask for enough that their first answer is a counter. Any suggestions? If it is forever and you are talking law, I would think everything goes into the partnership and what stake and how it works, how things get paid out, etc. You also have to get a good gauge for your market value (externally) but also be able to realize and understand what you bring to the business / generate too.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 06:26 AM) everything ok? i just got a tablet and was typing on it while taking care of the baby. Apparently what I thought I was typing wasn't what actually made it in. Haha.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2015 -> 05:04 AM) It looks like they quit listening to Thibs. They don't play defense, and they are soft. They have just let MIL push them around. I don't think they haven't played defense. I think the defense has been fine (outside of Rose stinking it all over the place yesterday). The turnovers have been the absolute achilles heel. Look at how many points the Bucks are getting off of those turnovers and they still are shooting a relatively lousy percentage. Defense has not been an issue one bit. Ball security, ball security, ball security and with that, just overall stagnant offense. Rose plays too passive for too long of stretches, and guys still aren't used to each other. However, this is part of the process and I think if they can get past the Bucks, it will make them stronger.