Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chisoxfn

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chisoxfn

  1. QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 10, 2015 -> 10:59 AM) If we didn't buy NFL jerseys that would not stop spousal abuse. If the group that became Isis wasn't able to finance their war by selling oil, they wouldn't have made more than a whimper in Syria. If Saudi Arabia wasn't able to keep itself propped up by oil, they wouldn't be able to feed money to groups like Isis and have a trump card that prevents anyone from reforming them. So are you proposing that we just go back into the stoneage and not use oil (as essentially that is what we would have to do, as we'd have a pretty limited oil resources globally). That said, US would be one of the lesser impacted countries as a whole but I'm fairly certain that would end up resulting in numerous other battles and wars.
  2. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 10, 2015 -> 11:27 AM) Not really. Not only are you giving up all of his cheapness, you are giving up years worth of minor league players to get him. You are also giving up something on the major league roster to pay for that $80 million. Potentially a deal like that could be the difference between having the room to re-sign Jeff Samardjiza. Also don't forget that this deal does NOT include a major league contract, so you still have to pay him for the six (or more) years before he hits free agency time. Now your total cost is Moncada's contract, 2 years worth of IL free agents, and a #2/#3 starting pitcher, plus any future major league contracts. That is really steep for a 19 year old kid that isn't even major league ready today. 2 years of players we sign over 300K. The reality is that is a relatively small list and you could minimize those impacts as well by signing a few more guys this year (once you broke the pool). If your scouting reports lead you to believe he is a generational type talent, I don't see why you don't do it. Clearly there is significant risk given his age, etc, however, it is pans out, you are talking about a cost controlled player going forward (since the reality is this is something that hits you early on and really means in future years you have a significant asset). You clearly have to weight the risk / reward but that is up to the baseball people who have seen this guy. I haven't seen him play and have no idea how good people think he can be and what they think his floor is, etc.
  3. QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 10, 2015 -> 10:45 AM) I'll believe that when I see it. Given there are 2 games until the all star break, I kind of wonder if they'll just shut him down and be conservative. Would be really big if we were able to pull these next two out and head into the ASB with some positive momentum.
  4. QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 10, 2015 -> 06:19 AM) Moncada basically has to be Mike Trout to justify it. Not really. If he was an above average player, it would be worth it, imo. If he was a perennial all star, more than worth it. To say he has to be Mike Trout is kind of crazy. If he was Mike Trout, you are talking about a total steal.
  5. For those high on Bickford...I've heard not so nice things about his makeup and how he handled himself during his year at Fullerton. Stuff is obviously very plus though.
  6. Dan..that was absolutely fantastic! Really well done.
  7. I'm closing this thing. This thread has moved so far from Viciedo and so far out of the realm of baseball. If someone wants to open a new Viciedo thread to talk about Dayan, great. The rest of the stuff is done and dead. Don't bring it up or talk about it. If you want to discuss politics, move into the filibuster and make sure you follow the specific rules set forth within said forum.
  8. Iowa gets ranked...than proceeds to lose 3 straight, now wins two straight. Go figure. I have no idea what to expect out of Iowa each night.
  9. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 08:43 AM) how long could they have kept all four? I was under the impression that it was Hardens RFA year and they knew that if they signed him that someone else was gonna be squeezed. They might have paid some luxury tax but they could have kept everyone (and even than, you wouldn't be talking about some absurd luxury tax). They could have kept him. In fact, they difference between their offer and max money was pretty small IIRC.
  10. I know the article is by Cowley but it has a lot of quotes from Taj. As I mentioned earlier, pretty clear Taj supports Thibbs. http://chicago.suntimes.com/basketball/7/7...ve-knows-theyre
  11. Not many people bought them or worse them at my high school. I never got one and I dont' remember the cost but it was steep. Same thing with school rings.
  12. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 6, 2015 -> 12:03 PM) I feel like Taj is kind of lost in his current role. When he goes in, you can see he is all about "I'm gonna get mine". He drives into double and triple teams and rarely kicks it out, and it really hurts the Bulls His efficiency is at all time high's. I think we need more of Taj and his attitude and toughness and not less, but that is me. This whole team has Pau and Rose's persona instead of Taj and Noah's persona, imo. This is what Laker fans hated about Pau for years (so it isn't new). Pau is extremely skilled offensively but he has a very "meh" attitude and is horrendous defensively. Butler and Rose also seem to have massive problems playing together. I still think the biggest issue on our team is Rose. We need a point guard to play with him or something cause he is just brutal and our offense is going to have some really brad stretches with the way he executes and passes right now. Its just ugly. Thankfully his effort and energy levels are increasing.
  13. Clearly we need to find some wing help, however, trading Taj, isn't going to help our D. I'd rather trade freaking Pau or Rose.
  14. QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 02:20 PM) I dunno man, he was on the NFL network, an ex football player, and on the "are you ready for anything" beer commercial where they turn some guys house into a pirate ship. I bet a lot more women would know who he was than you think Cowherd ripped him to shreds. Said he supported Sapp for a long time and defended him despite others bashing him (cause Sapp was always nice to him) but basically said this whole thing was a long time coming and flat out Sapp needs to get help and alluded he should do what Manziel did and check himself into rehab. Said Warren's life is a mess and anyone who knows him isn't surprised by what happened and if anything is surprised it didn't happen sooner.
  15. Chisoxfn replied to bmags's topic in The Filibuster
    QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 12:14 PM) The day care / preschool my kids are/were in requires an annual certified form from a doctor that they have all vaccinations. And unlike a public school, they enforce it for all students except true medical reasons. I'm going to have to make a call to the day care / preschool we are going to be sending my daughter to starting this summer to see what their rules are (I know you have to provide documents but curious if they accept the "exemptions"). Somehow, given where I live and the fact that it is a montessori school, that it would be too bad for their business if they didn't accept those "exemption" kids but hopefully that isn't the case. In theory, I suppose I don't have much to worry about since my daughter is up to date on her vaccinations, but still.
  16. Funny that 6'1, 195lb's was considered "wide".
  17. QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 11:17 AM) LOL we will probably be coming to Cali in the spring or early summer this year so I will buy you guys a steak dinner then. Wohoo. Deal!
  18. QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 11:11 AM) We usually celebrate our anniversary by staying at a hotel somewhere and having a nice dinner. Nothing special tho really. No we don't. I don't know the last time you took me to a nice dinner. Liar pants! You probably don't even remember the anniversary of our friendship.
  19. Chisoxfn replied to bmags's topic in The Filibuster
    We'll see if this gets passed / moved forward in California. Some of my least favorite politicians behind it but the message and the action is spot on. And as I've said, I think Jerry Brown, who I didn't like or vote for, has done a nice job and why he got my vote this past election (for actually working with repubs...despite obviously having the heavy majority in the state). http://news.yahoo.com/california-lawmakers...-203726688.html
  20. Chisoxfn replied to LDF's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 5, 2015 -> 06:25 AM) I don't know if this belongs here but he is on TV, but what's the deal with Brian Williams? How can he expect anyone to buy that he "misremembered" a tale he told more than a few times, about being in a helicopter that was shot down, when the reality was he wasn't? This has to cost him his job, doesn't it? If it was O'Reilly he'd be crushed. You don't misremember being shot down in a plane. Its pathetic. Makes you wonder about what else he has lied about.
  21. QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 02:10 PM) Yeesh...I really didnt think he was THAT bad for it to come to this. A couple months ago many thought the Sox were going to get something from the M's for him. I am calling it. He will become a valuable and dangerous bat off the bench for a playoff team this year. He should go to a bad team where he can get a ton of at bats. The upside is still there with Tank and the talent clearly exists. Whether he makes those adjustments, I don't know, but he's not a bad insurance policy. His defense is so negative though.
  22. QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 01:27 PM) Further fun on this, I recall a long time ago, watching a report on when someone decided to put Dave Winfield in a batting cage as a pitcher and see how hard he could throw. As I recall he was well over 100, closing in on 110, but of course couldn't throw strikes consistently. I think there must have been some exaggeration from the reporter. Either way, interesting. By the below statistics, it is Nolan Ryan who threw the fastest recorded pitch DURING an MLB game. Would be curious during showcases, etc, what the highest recorded would be (as it could likely differ from a game). Cool to see Big Bad Bobby Jenks in there. http://www.efastball.com/baseball/stats/fa...-major-leagues/
  23. QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 4, 2015 -> 12:19 PM) Yes, but they could see where he's at in spring training for a few weeks for next to nothing. Someone will sign him, and probably wind up saving a couple million. There obviously isn't a team out there that thinks highly of his ability, because they don't seem to care about losing him over $1-2 million. Said team would have to pay him way more than he is worth. That is why we couldn't trade him. No one on the FA market would give him the contract he signed with the Sox. As a result, why would you trade for him (unless you really really like him, in which case, you probably shouldn't have a tough time overbidding to get him on your roster). He'll probably sign a deal much more similar to Gordon's.
  24. http://angels.scout.com/story/1364408-pros...0-yency-almonte 20th ranked prospect entering the 2014 campaign (Per InsidetheHalo's).
  25. http://m.mlb.com/video/v25794471/top-prosp...onte-rhp-angels

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.